Linux newbie needs help - 3G Modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pdt42, Nov 17, 2008.

1. pdt42

pdt42

I have just bought an Aspire One 110 Linux and neep help installing the relevant things to make it work on Linux. I have read that it is possible but a lot of the things required to do I don't understand.

I have set up wvdial as per an existing post, but cannot find an "rpm" for Gnome-PPP or cannot decide which one I need.

Can someone please put up a link that works and also instructions on installing and configuring.

If this already exists I apologise but am desperate to get this working asap.

Many thanks in advance

Philip Taylor

pdt42, Nov 17, 2008
  2. pdt42

NeilB

Many of us struggled with 3G for many months....then Acer fixed it all for us.

Go to live update and download the patches for 3G. You get a program added to your network list called 'Mobile Partner.' This is a graphical dialer program that includes sms. I have found that with my Huewai E220 it works flawlessly every time - no need to reboot or fiddle with settings.

NeilB, Nov 17, 2008
  3. pdt42

Agusta

I've just gone to live update but there is no patch mentioned for 3G, do I have to do anything specific to get the patch to show in live update?

Agusta, Nov 17, 2008
  4. pdt42

landbase

Go to LiveUpdate and look for the optional download called 'A patch for Huawei CM (Multi language)(180068)'. This is a download of about 25MB which will install a program in the called 'Mobile Partner'. This is the software from Hauwei to enable its USB mobile broadband modems to work with the Acer Aspire 110 Linux. Select this by checking the box next to it, download and re-boot the computer. Look for the green circular icon for 'Mobile Partner' in the 'Connect' section of your desktop.

How this is configured will depend on your mobile broadband provider. The following instructions apply to 3 mobile broadband.
    Click on the icon to open the program, A 'profile' has to be set up so click on 'Tools' then from the dropdown box click on 'Options' and select 'Profile Management'.
    Under the Dial-Up tab click on 'New' and enter the following settings:
    Profile name: whatever you like, e.g. 3 mobile
    APN: tick 'Static' and in the box type '3internet'
    Authentication: Access number: *99#
    User name: three
    Password: three
    Authentication Protocol Settings: tick 'CHAP'

then click 'Save' to save the profile.

Plug in the USB mobile broadband modem and wait while the SIM and the Device are detected and click the 'Connect' button and after a short while you should be connected to the internet. Check by trying to use the web browser.

landbase, Nov 17, 2008
  5. pdt42

pdt42

Thats all very well but a: It's running simple mode and b: it has no internet connection does it ?!?!?

pdt42, Nov 18, 2008
  6. pdt42

mcvay1981

As per the post before from Landbase, does anybody happen to know the settings for a T-Mobile dongle??

Would be a massive help!!

mcvay1981, Nov 18, 2008
  7. pdt42

doug

I just used; T-Mobile A

doug, Nov 18, 2008
  8. pdt42

egutshall

Hi - complete newbie here. I found my way to Terminal, but all these scripts and commands mean nothing to me.
    I just got my Aspire One w/ Linpus. I thought I could get it to work with Verizon EVDO and USB720 dongle, but.... I'm so lost. I have downloaded latest update and have Mobile Partner now... what's next? Really, really, appreciate some help here, as this was the whole point of buying the One.
    Thanks to anyone who can give me a clue. I have googled and googled and no solution yet.

egutshall, Nov 20, 2008
  9. pdt42

pdt42

From the original poster - is the update available as a download so I can grab it at work as the AA1 is still offline ...

pdt42, Nov 20, 2008
  10. pdt42

egutshall

Fortunately, I'm able to connect to my WLAN at home, so I can at least get the updates, etc. Can you get your AA1 to a LAN somehow?

But I bought this for mobile use, so I really need some help getting EVDO working, if anyone has any suggestions.

egutshall, Nov 20, 2008
  11. pdt42

landbase

To get the Live Updates, including the Mobile Partner software, why not take your A110 to a WiFi hotspot download there. That's what I did - and there are plenty of free WiFi hotspots about including McDonalds and Witherspoons pubs.

landbase, Nov 20, 2008
  12. pdt42

pdt42

Funny you should say that - guess where I am now. Unfortunately it's found a bucket of updates to do, which I wasn't aware of but it chewing away now. I seem to have a messenger problem with MSN but apparently the updates should sort that too ...

pdt42, Nov 22, 2008
  13. pdt42

pdt42

Right, the update got everything working. Hurrah. But it seems slow - 3 mobile have a coverage checker and apparently I should have no problem. Anyone else had this - is it a config problem?

pdt42, Nov 24, 2008
  14. pdt42

lrattazzi

Hi landbase, thanks for your advice
    I did not understand wether installing the "Mobile partner" patch the usb modem will be automatically recognized by the AAO or you have to install it anyway, and if it works only for Huavei modems or for all USB modems (I have a Samsung zv60)
    Last question: does anybody knows the settings for 3 mobile italy (I have the bfast option)?
    Lorenzo

lrattazzi, Dec 8, 2008
  15. pdt42

fatchef

fatchef, Jan 7, 2009
  16. pdt42

dobsy

I followed this word for word and it works a treat!
    Download takes about half hour. Great find this. I was going down the route of opening terminals and downloading this and that-got lost doing that and came across this simple live update. Happy Days!

dobsy, Jan 20, 2009
  17. pdt42

Huntingdon

I have followed this and although I can connect to 3, with a reasonable signal strength, I cannot seem to connect to the internet.
    The way I was testing this was to connect through mobile partner and then disconnect manually from my home WiFI( using the connection link in the bottom toolbar ) Fire up Firefox and see if I can browse. I can't...

Am I just being plain dumb here?

FYI, I used the Modem on my PC this week and it was working fine. It is the '3' branded Huawei E160G.

Thanks in advance.

Huntingdon, Feb 6, 2009
  18. pdt42

Japser

Does it work if you close the wifi connection first and then connect with 3G ?
    I think the "DNS" settings get confused, as they are different for both connections.

--Japser.

Japser, Feb 6, 2009
  19. pdt42

Huntingdon

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just tried this and it did take longer getting to the 'Server not found' page, giving me some hope it was working, but very slowly. Clearly that doesn't seem to be the case.

If I look at the Statistics tab on Mobile partner I can see a few KB's worth of transfers both up and down, so something must be working.

I am not sure if what I see in the Connections manager is quite right either... If i simply look at the networks by clicking the link in the toolbar, I see the wireless network nearby as expected, but the 3G Network section shows 'Off' and this cannot be changed ( I am thinking this may just apply to AA1's with fitted 3G cards? ). If I actually look into the connection manager, I see the 'Huawei USB vendor specific interface' but the connect button is greyed out.

Thinking about switching off my wireless network and booting the AA1 so it never connect to WiFi, but the rest of the family would shout if I did this right now.

Any ideas

Huntingdon, Feb 7, 2009
  20. pdt42

Japser

http://74.125.67.100/ is Google.com's address in numbers, if that works then you are sure the problem is in the DNS.

I can't help much more, as I don't have an Acer-One here.

--Japser.

Japser, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question