Linux Mint

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Andysan, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Andysan

Andysan

Has anyone tried this please? I've booted the Live CD (which worked) but not taken this any further. As its based on Ubuntu i assume the results would be largely the same? Great distro too btw...

Andysan, Oct 7, 2008
  2. Andysan

flamingswrd

I looked on the Linux Mint forums and they seem to have installation failure errors. When they do get it installed it has pretty much the same errors as Ubuntu.

flamingswrd, Oct 7, 2008
  3. Andysan

scottro

I tried the fluxbox edition from a thumb drive--it stalled during boot and although it seemed to slowly be getting there, I gave up after about 10 minutes. In fairness, that's the fluxbox edition which will be slightly different, and it was also clearly stated that it was a release candidate, meaning that it was not considered fully polished.

Mint is a nice distribution, and many recommend it for beginners. I haven't thoroughly used it in a long time, so can't really say.

scottro, Oct 8, 2008
  4. Andysan

donec

I haven't tried Mint on my AA1 but I have tried it and liked it except for the wireless connection. The problem is that when trying to use WAP Mint doesn't keep the password properly it seems to add copies of the password to itself so there is a very long password when you go and check it making you have to re-enter the password every time you boot. The problem according to the forum can be fixed by following the instructions and using the same password for your boot as you use for your WAP. For me this would be unsatisfactory if it worked which it didn't for me and I tried several times.

donec, Oct 8, 2008
  5. Andysan

rmsoldato

You have to use a version of Mint that is based on Ubuntu 8.04.1. The normal Gnome version is currently based on 8.04, which won't work with the AAO. To my knowledge, the only community derived version of Mint that uses 8.04.1 is the XFCE version.

I tried it, and it worked, but still needed all of the customizations that the Ubuntu AAO how-to spells out, like compiling madwifi and alsa sound drivers.

rmsoldato, Oct 9, 2008
  6. Andysan

gruffy

Hi there!

Just wanted to inform you that I am running the new Mint 6 RC1 on Aspire One. Mint 6 is based on Ubuntu 8.10 and I simply followed the AspireOne110L-guide available on Ubuntu community sites. I have tested many distros lately on my lovely AA1, and finally I have found a nice one. The benefit with Mint (imo) is that it comes pre-configured for mp3, movies etc. My mp3's played without any need for new codecs (and so did a DivX Tv recording I tested). If you like Ubuntu I think you should give this one a try...

/G

gruffy, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question