[Linux Linpus] Add/Change Applications of Default Desktop

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Tybor, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Tybor

Tybor

To add/change/remove etc. you have to edit following XML file:
    /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml

gr33tz,
    Tybor

Tybor, Jul 16, 2008
  2. Tybor

bdogg64

Thanks for the tip! I was able to get skype, vlc, filezilla, and my terminal under the connect tab.

bdogg64, Jul 16, 2008
  3. Tybor

gerarddelafas

I was just looking for this nice tip :D

Many thanks Tybor...

gerarddelafas, Jul 17, 2008
  4. Tybor

Guest Guest

OK for a complete linux beginner, could you please explain how to do that. I have the advanced desktop working and have downloaded and installed vlc, just trying to get the icon on my desktop now.

Thanks in advance

Guest, Jul 18, 2008
  5. Tybor

Kev50027

Open up the file browser (by clicking on my documents or something) then type in /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/ Then open the XML file there, and scroll down to find where you want to put the program.. Actually, if you read the forum about Skype, someone describes it in there. Sorry, im typing on the One and it's tough to keep 5 windows open and gather all the info at the same time on a 9 inch screen lol. If nobody helps you out ill get on tomorrow and walk you through it. Take care!

Kev50027, Jul 18, 2008
  6. Tybor

Guest Guest

Thanks.... I think I will need more help.... I had found the skype entry but am obviously typing into the wrong place as am getting nowhere fast! I know it will be something really stupid I'm doing and am going to be sooo embarrassed! :oops:

Guest, Jul 18, 2008
  7. Tybor

Kev50027

Well after installing VLC, I did a search in the XML document (/home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml), and showed no mention of the program. Unfortunately, this means we will have to make our own link to it. In searching around in this XML document, I also found that Acer disabled the icon for screensaver options, and since the default screensaver is pretty boring (shows picture of the Aspire One), I figured it would be nice to be able to switch it from the main desktop. Just removing the dashes and exclamation point made it work perfectly, but I had to reassign it a number, as it placed it over another link.

Anyway.. I'm new to linux as well, and I'm not really sure where VLC is installed. If I knew, it would be relatively easy to add an entry for it in the xml document. I'm looking around for it, but I can't find it.

Check this thread:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=175&p=1357&hilit=VLC#p1357

Kev50027, Jul 19, 2008
  8. Tybor

Raido

I think VLC (the .exe) installs in /usr/share/applications Kev. In the Applications folder in any case, since that's where I started it from.

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 19, 2008
  9. Tybor

Flaterik

Hi people , i have installed the program Alexandria. Now i have the Icon in USr/Share/application , but in the xml config files , what i must write ? What's the right link?

Flaterik, Jul 21, 2008
  10. Tybor

gerarddelafas

I want to modify the 'applicationName'.desktop file (where 'applicationName is the name of your application) to be able to execute from 'First Main Acer Menu' (that could be changed modifing /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml file) some applications that I've extracted into my Downloads Folder such as RapGet (windows version).

RapGet could be executed as a param of wine application that emulate windows application under linux, so I think that I have to make a script file that invoke wine and rapget.

I noticed that other default acer applications are put in /usr/share/applications/ so I opened supertux.desktop application in order to understand how is make this .desktop file:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Version=1.0
    Encoding=UFT-8
    Name=SuperTux
    Comment=A Super Mario insipred penguin platform game
    Icon=supertux.png
    Exec=supertux
    Terminal=false
    so It could be easy to add our custom application to the Main Menu adding an 'ad hoc' regGet.desktop file

Type=Application
    Version=1.0
    Encoding=UFT-8
    Name=RapGet
    Comment=Megaupload and Rapidshare download manager
    Icon=rapget.png
    Exec=wine_rapGet
    Terminal=false

wine_rapGet script is something like this:
    wine /RAPGET_PATH/rapGet.exe [where /RAPGET_PATH/ is the path of your application... for example for me is /home/user/apps/]

rapget.png is the icon file associated with the application and I don't understand well where I have to put it.

Do you have any suggestions?

gerarddelafas, Jul 21, 2008
  11. Tybor

Flaterik

Good idea but i don't know how it works. I see ther's a files called "a". If you open it ther's all the filename .desktop. But i can't change this files.

Flaterik, Jul 21, 2008
  12. Tybor

Raido

Raido, Jul 24, 2008
  13. Tybor

frasco

HI... I followed the instructions of this thread but, even though I can install and display different programs on Default Desktop, I can not do the same with AbiWord. I installed it from repositories, I can call it from "run program" or from the "advanced menu", but it doesn't work (and display) on Default Desktop.
    Any suggestion??

frasco, Jul 25, 2008
  14. Tybor

salvam

Same problem here.. I would like to know how I can find the real name of a program installed on my "one", in order to put this "real name" or exact name of the executable file in this sentence on /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml.

I refer to this sentence exactly:
    <app sequence="13">/usr/share/applications/PySolFC.desktop</app>

Where in the system is the exact name of an aplication?..

Thanks in advance!

salvam.

salvam, Jul 25, 2008
  15. Tybor

jab

Hi,

is the file ASCII only ? I ask because mine has some binary "garbage" at the start and I guess it is broken. Maybe someone could post the file via PM, or email ?

Cheers
    Jab

jab, Jul 27, 2008
  16. Tybor

salvam

I still looking for the folder wich contains the executable files in order to put in the next sentence:
    <app sequence="13">/usr/share/applications/PySolFC.desktop</app>

For example.. if I look for VLC executable, I find in usr/share/applications/ the file "vlc" but in the "<app sequence.. etc.." sentence, I should writing livna-vlc.desktop... why "livna-vlc" and why not "vlc.desktop"?

Some linpus guru can help me?.. tnx in advance! :)

salvam, Aug 2, 2008
  17. Tybor

Raido

I'm not a Linux guru, but when you do a 'ls -all /usr/share/applications' the "real" filenames of the programs should show up, so that's usually the one to type in.

Regards, R

Raido, Aug 2, 2008
  18. Tybor

A_I

I did that for couple applications but in GIMP and OPERA after opening it says could not locate /%u. for gimp it says in error window however in opera it opens http://%u in browser window. Is there any solution?

A_I, Aug 2, 2008
  19. Tybor

salvam

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!.. this is exactly what I wanted.. my best for you Raido. This information should be on first post, sure..

salvam, Aug 3, 2008
  20. Tybor

fw1962

Link me the article - Thank you for the information :)

fw1962, Aug 3, 2008
Ask a Question