Linux? If so, which distribution did you choose? Why?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by oniq, Feb 23, 2010.

1. oniq

oniq

Xubuntu 9.10.. tried ArchOne, moblin and both would not boot right.

oniq, Feb 23, 2010
  2. oniq

Pytheas

I have already installed Jolicloud and works like a charm. I am not sure which Linux distro it is based on, but it's fast and easy to use and update.
    Today I plan to install Linux Mint, for which I have read very good reviews. I will post information after I install and use it for a couple of days.

Pytheas, Feb 23, 2010
  3. oniq

oniq

I had a wonderful experience with Jolicloud on my Lenovo S10 (10.2" screen"). Everything was auto detected and I loved the layout, I just wanted to try something different this time around.

oniq, Feb 24, 2010
  4. oniq

error404

Do all the devices work perfectly under that distro?
    Also if running under other distros, how do you get the Intel GMA 500 to work properly?
    I am going to try Jolicloud but I'd rather have a more complete experience

error404, Feb 25, 2010
  5. oniq

Pytheas

For me, Jolicloud worked like a charm from the first boot. All devices were recognized automatically and worked as they should with no intervention. I like tha automatic updates function and the fact that there are many applications available to install through a user-friendly menu in the operating system, so that I will not have to search for anything incompatible on the net.

I also gave Linux Mint 8 a try, booting from USB. Unfortunately the GMA500 was not recognized and I ended up with an almost unusable 1024x768 resolution, which was annoyingly sluggish... since I had this problem and I couldn't find a way to either change the resolution of update the driver, I finally gave up. I tried updating the driver but I had no luck and since I am not a Linux user, I am not familiar with these command lines.

I am surely going to investigate this matter further, because I have a feeling that Mint is a nice Linux distro, too. :)

Pytheas, Feb 28, 2010
  6. oniq

Mona2000

Fedora 11 - GMA500 very easy to install by adding RPMFusion repository, needs battery fix
    Fedora 12 - GMA500 can't be installed (X.org too new), still needs battery fix
    Ubuntu 9.10 - GMA500 driver can be installed with a script found on the wiki, it also installs the battery fix

Now I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 with a custom compiled kernel (with Atom optimizations on)... works way faster than any other distribution I tried.

Mona2000, Feb 28, 2010
  7. oniq

lucazade

Hi!
    Could you share your optimized kernel? I could add it to the installation script for Ubuntu. Thanks!

lucazade, Feb 28, 2010
Ask a Question