Linpus XP Vista Kubuntu Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by osdude, Aug 5, 2008.

1. osdude

osdude

So far, I've installed Kubuntu, XP, Vista and back to Linpus. Each OS was really good and all performed very well and in some cases, much better than expected.

After playing around with the operating systems, I've gone back to Linpus. Kubuntu, XP and Vista all run fine on the Aspire One, with a little tweaking, but I've gone back to Linpus for simplicity and ease of use. It's not that XP, Vista and Kubuntu were missing, but there were little things that made me go back to Linpus.

XP and Vista ran really well, even with the slow SSD, but there were a lot of tweaks needed to get it usable. The screen is just a little too small for a standard XP install in my opinion. I also seemed to have a few issues with speed of applications running. These weren't deal breakers, in and of themselves, but combined, my overall XP experience was, XP and Vista are too much OS for a limited hardware and screen.

I really liked Kubuntu and had it humming along really well, but there were a few issues with being able to use the GUI for configuration with only a 600px screen height. USB connections were sporadic. Closing the lid could have some odd results. Everything worked well, very well in fact, but I found myself only using the applications and that were already included with Linpus.

I know, for many users, Linpus doesn't have what they want, but after I added the advanced menu and a few little tweaks, the Linpus does everything I need it to do an more and the default OS, Linpus, is made for the Aspire One. With Linpus, I find myself happier with the overall experience and when I need something more, I just turn on the laptop.

Just food for thought.

osdude, Aug 5, 2008
  2. osdude

ruckus

Thank you for this review. I have heard others with similar thoughts.

I will likely be buying an aspire one soon, and my first plan was to install OS X or Ubuntu on it. But you are right, its the little things that would annoy me when they don't work quite right. And I'll mostly be using the One for light stuff, so I think I will keep and configure the Linpus system on it to suite my needs.

With the right amount of configuration, I should be able to run most of what I could on any other linux distribution I would think.

ruckus, Aug 5, 2008
  3. osdude

zaphod

My vision is somewhat similar. I messed around with Xubuntu but have come back to Linpus with a few minor tweaks. I like the quick boot and the easy WiFi management.

I have added VLC for better video format support and Thunderbird for for better IMAP mail support. As I regularly use Last FM I also installed the Last FM player and Amarok. But apart from those few items the basic Linpus set-up suits my needs.

zaphod, Aug 5, 2008
  4. osdude

osdude

Yes, that's a big plus for me as well. K/X/Ubuntu all needed tweaks to get the WiFi to work and require a tweak every time the kernel is updated. Sure, it's not that often, but when it does happen, it makes for a fun day before finding the original post... getting a wired connection...

Linpus has grown on me.

osdude, Aug 5, 2008
  5. osdude

Mark83

I also returned to the standard linpus. The reasons are the same.
    The only thing I'm unhappy about is the added RAM because there is no need for it now

Mark83, Aug 5, 2008
  6. osdude

Rathma

I don't think I could get used to Linpus since i've used Windows my whole life. That plus i'm taking computer networking in college which revolves around all Windows based stuff.

Rathma, Aug 5, 2008
  7. osdude

Sid

Rather than using Acer's Linpus has anyone used the distro from the linpus site?

http://www.linpus.com

Sid, Aug 6, 2008
  8. osdude

Mark83

I thought this too, but:
    I use a smartphone with Palm OS and I'm very happy with it, before that I had Windows Mobile which is really slow in comparison.
    Now the same with the AAO: I use Linpus again, before that I had Vista and XP on it, both are slower.

I think the device should be usable. Palm OS is old but fast and for my needs the best OS for smartphones, Linpus is the best for the AAO and Vista is perfect for my desktop-PC.

Palm OS and Linpus are so easy to use, there is not much you have to get used to ;)

Mark83, Aug 6, 2008
  9. osdude

Ruutiveijari

What are these little tweaks?

Ruutiveijari, Aug 6, 2008
  10. osdude

dandesigns

same here. i have made my AAO taste XP, xub, ub, and kde-linpus, but i find the acer linpus easier to configure to suite my needs than configure the OS to suite AAO. :D

the most frustrating part when using a "non-native" OS is if you break it, you have to do everything again. i have the same issue with acer linpus, only it's faster to recover. :)

install skype, vlc, firefox3, oo2.4, msttcorefonts, amarok, and you're pretty much all set. :)

i used to bash linpus when i first encountered it but that was my reaction too when i first used winxp. :)

dandesigns, Aug 6, 2008
  11. osdude

osdude

I added Thunderbird for mail
    Advanced Menu
    Set the advanced menu on the taskbar (rather than right clicking)

and that's really about it, nothing big, all little things that made it better for 'me'

osdude, Aug 6, 2008
  12. osdude

A_I

+1

Totally agree One is not created for windows or say Ubuntu. It is created for linpus and linpus is created for it (Just needs some evenings to make all tweaks, optiomizations and software install) :D Now I even think that if I would got windows version I would install the Linpus on it. I have same opinion about EEE too. Those category of laptops are not for this...

A_I, Aug 6, 2008
Ask a Question