linpus xfce vs. standard xfce

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by jhedrotten, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

help me please. im so confused, i don't know if i'm going to use koro's script or not. can somebody please give me the pros and cons of the linpus xfce as opposed to the standard xfce. i mean everything that i can't do and do on both desktop environments. thanks. complete linux noob here.

jhedrotten, Sep 11, 2008
  2. jhedrotten

prefix100

The Linpus desktop is not a true Linux experience. A lot of stuff is locked out, which goes against the idea that everything in Linux should be customizable. Basically if you want the full Linux desktop, so it acts like a _real_ computer, then you should do the script.

However, the xfce desktop itself isn't my personal preference, it is light yes, but it doesn't give as much as gnome imho.

But yes, as you asked:

Advantages of Linpus XFce:
    Simple
    Compatibility is assured
    Easy to use

Cons of the Linpus XFce
    Installing software is difficult
    Can't theme the laptop to make it look nicer
    Locks you out of a LOT of stuff

Advantages of standard XFce
    You can do anything a normal distro with xfce will allow
    You can use applications for gnome and kde

Cons
    If you install software, then you are going to, at some point, run into dependency problems because the Linpus OS wasn't designd for installing other software, so it will use the fedora repositories, which will cause conflicts, and alot of the programs you want still won't install. (To list a few, Banshee, Amarok, Pidgin, etc.)

The only way to get the best of both sides is to install your own distro, like Ubuntu, however untill some kind soul makes a Kernel for the AA1, and makes their own version of Ubuntu (Acebuntu?) , the boot times and the hardware won't be as good.

Personally I'm going to install Ubuntu on my AA1 tomorrow, and hope by that time someone will have a custom kernel for the AA1.

prefix100, Sep 12, 2008
  3. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

whoa. thanks a lot dude. that was very helpful. so if i switch my desktop and i stick on the linpus xfce, i get maximum compatibility and performance [well not really performance because the preset repository that acer set up is somehow limited and i still have to use livna for example], however i can't install themes for xfce? because if there's a way that i could setup themes to the xfce desktop[not the 4-way division acer desktop] that came pre-installed with the linpus lite then that would do until i feel the limitations. hehehe.

jhedrotten, Sep 12, 2008
Ask a Question