Linpus wont write to NTFS devices?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by on00jh2, Jan 8, 2009.

1. on00jh2

on00jh2

Hey.
    I have recently bought acer aspire one netbook, for college work mainly. to my dissapointment it READS from my usb stick but it will not WRITE anything to it at all. It wont even let me drag files to it, only from it.
    This is one of the reasons i needed this notebook.. now i think i am going to install windows unless somebody can please help.
    I have installed that 3g thingy, to no availe. It will write to a SD card, just not my NTFS usb stick.
    It wont even read my Fat or Fat32 usb sticks...

Any help will be greatly taken... sorry for bad english..

on00jh2, Jan 8, 2009
  2. on00jh2

Frits

Hello,
    i also have a external hard drive, a LaCie 320Gb.
    It is formatted as NTFS, and in the Live Updates is a update to read(only read) NTFS.
    in the ad/remove software section you can find a script that's able to read/write to NTFS.(search on NTFS, you will find it).

The majority of external hard drives is formatted as NTFS, certainly the big ones.....(the gigabites types)
    The 8Gb of the 1 is fat32...
    USB and sd cards are fat or fat32.

Problem i have is that you need to manually mount the hard drive, after you applied the script from the software ad ons...........as root.
    Somehowe you can edit the fstab file, but i still gathering some courage to do that...... :shock:
    i am afraid that it will harm the one...

ps: i copy/paste that from another post i replied on...
    Strange you can't write from fat to fat...perhaps it is a big usb stick, 32 or more gb's???and it is formatted as NTFS??? Or is there U3 on it?? There are scripts to remove U3, try google for that. Have you formatted teh stick to fat???

Later edited: Do you have the latest bios???? Search on google for Macles, there you will find the latest bios and how to do it.

Frits, Jan 8, 2009
  3. on00jh2

on00jh2

I have a 8gb usb stick on NTFS which will read.
    I have a 1gb usb stick in FAT32 which wont even mount.
    I have another 1gb usb stick in FAT which wont even mount.

Im not too sure, iv been looking 2 days solid and not found anything yet...

*edit* no u3 installed..

on00jh2, Jan 8, 2009
Ask a Question