Linpus slow - problems with /var/cache deletion advice

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by keksler, Dec 6, 2008.

1. keksler

keksler

Hi,

My system got slower and slower so I received the advice from somewhere else (can´t find the URL anymore) to delete all /var/cache folders and files.

I did this serveral times successfully but now my system crashed: Failed to initialize HAL is displayed and neither battery management nor network ist running. Furthermore thunar won´t start via the icon (still starting via terminal).
    Maybe it´s because I´ve started Firefox immediately after restart before the network was up. I haven´t done this at the other attempts to clean the cache.

I´ve tried to type "service haldaemon start" but this failed. Is it possible to get back the cache files by some tweaks or would it be easier to reinstall the system? I would prefer the first because it´s highly costumized.

P.S.: A newly discovered source says the slow system is caused by the folders and files at /home/user/.cache/ that should be deleted. Is this true?

keksler, Dec 6, 2008
  2. keksler

keksler

Deleting /var/cache is defintely not a good idea! :x

After I lost all my data (not so much, but still annoying) since network and USB ports haven´t worked, I´ve tried this advice once more with a clean system.

I´ve saved the whole cache folder and the HAL error appeared once more. Then I´ve transfered back the folder content that has been valid a minute before and still received the HAL error. Therefore it must have been pure luck at my last attempts that the system recovered :(

/home/user/.cache/ deletion works without any problems so far. Nevertheless I´ve saved all dot-files and folders (config stuff) of the clean system and activated the console due to this problem (http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/...st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=cache+var+cache&start=20) that I´ve also had once.

P.S.: You get the console if you change the option DontVTSwitch of /etc/X11/xorg.conf to "no". Then you can switch with Crtl+Alt+F1 to the console and back with Crtl+Alt+F2. Typing is required to see the cursor the first time.

keksler, Dec 7, 2008
Ask a Question