[Linpus] No vocal call service with Yahoo! Messenger

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pdemong, Nov 7, 2008.

1. pdemong

pdemong

Hi,

with my account on Yahoo! Messenger, I can use webcam, but not the mic. Option is unavailable.
    But I can do a videoconf with my MSN account.

Is it a restriction of the software under Linpus ?

pdemong, Nov 7, 2008
  2. pdemong

chupachups

I know this was asked a year ago, but for newbies like me, it is frustrating not to have an answer

However, I've found out for myself that this functionality is NOT supported, it is mentioned in the Aspire_ONE_UserManual_EN.pdf which can be found in the directory ... My Disk:AspireOne///Documents/

From page 48

"2 If your friends are using Yahoo! Messenger:
    You can use the Messenger to have text chats, transfer files and share
    webcam.
    Other functions are limited:
    • Personal information (e.g. picture) sync with server is not supported.
    • Sharing channels, pictures, music and voice calls are not supported."

This was frustrating for me as I needed the webcam and voice facilities in one package - the whole purpose of me getting a ONE

There are lots of (un)helpful suggestions to use pidgin instead, but I don't think this supports webcam nor voice - so is pointless for me

Yahoo! no longer provide a linux version, so I tried yahoo! messenger 9 (the only supported release), under Wine, the install worked but I couldn't get it to login to the Yahoo! network (might be my inexperience, so I gave up - if some helpful soul can tell us otherwise, this would be great)

Despite all this, for me there was good news. Yahoo! now provide a web based chat, so I can type to my existing friends list, but for webcam and voice, I successfully installed skype for linux which seems to work really well

The install was pretty painless, went to the http://www.skype.com website, selected Download, and then Fedora 7, within a few mins was up and running, webcamming and voicing to a friend in brazil

Hope this helps others

chupachups, Dec 4, 2008
  3. pdemong

pdemong

Just like many others, I abandonned Yahoo Messenger and I've been converted by Skype ;)
    Thanks for your answer.

pdemong, Mar 4, 2009
Ask a Question