Linpus Linux - Modify your taskbar

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Tybor, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tybor

Tybor

Hi,

Linpus comes with a modified version of the xfce4-panel (the taskbar) called xfce4-panelnew.
    This version prevents you from modifiying the taskbar to your needs (usually you can right click on it to get menu).

- press Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up system monitor
    - search xfce4-panel process and end it (the taskbar disappears, don't get worried)
    - press Alt + F2 and run xfce4-panel.old. This brings up the original Xfce panel, slightly misconfigured but you need it only for configuring your taskbar.
    - Now you can right click your taskbar and Add plugins. A window with all installed xfce panel plugins is opened.
    - Select your preferred plugins by drag&drop them onto the taskbar. e.g. use Xfce Menu
    - Now use the same steps to end the process xfce4-panel.old as described above.
    - press Alt + F2 and run xterm. In terminal type "xfce4-panel &".
    - Now you should have the previous panel back and your configured plugins like the attachment

The Xfce menu on the taskbar is much more easier to handle than the right-click menu (its the same)!

You can install additional plugins through the Package Manager! Navigate to Desktop -> Xfce -> Optional Packages
    and choose the ones you like (some plugins are not correctly displayed on the panel).

gr33tz,
    Tybor

Tybor, Aug 3, 2008
  2. Tybor

starterz

This is a great tip. Works like a charm, just at the end you don't need to go into terminal to start xfce4-panel, you can start it through alt-F2 too. You just drag and drop plugins to the panel, and while in that mode you can also edit the button name, for example my "menu" button is reamed to "Start" :cool:

starterz, Aug 3, 2008
  3. Tybor

daymz

I'm definitely going to try this! This was something I wanted to do very badly. Thanks for the tip!

daymz, Aug 3, 2008
  4. Tybor

nizmo

I tried this,

and I lost my battery monitor icon and also the little arrow thing that alliows you to hide the task bar.. how do i get em back ?

Also, when you press the turn off button, it says do i want to exit xfce panel !! :evil: not the previous normal one. i want the old panel back before messing with it, i was made to believe it would all be fine~ !

Sorry I done this now!

EDIT: Restart bought the battery monitor back...

nizmo, Aug 3, 2008
  5. Tybor

Tybor

Well, you should have follwed my description! If you start xfce4-panel through Alt + F2 you get your described behaviour.
    I have had same situation and the workaround with xterm is the solution.
    The Hide Button can be activated through the menu Settings -> Panel Control -> check ShowhideButton.

Battery Monitor is not affected in any way with this. Perhaps you drag&dropped it off the taskbar?

gr33tz,
    Tybor

Tybor, Aug 3, 2008
  6. Tybor

nizmo

All fine now ! , thanks for your reply, it worked !

nizmo, Aug 3, 2008
  7. Tybor

starterz

Hm, the same thing with the shutdown button happened to me too, I just didn't try the button untill now. Nevertheless, I followed the description again, started xfce4-panel through xterm, and the same thing happened - when pressing the shutdown button it asked me to shutdown xfce panel. So i used terminal to su and reboot, and after the reboot everything is OK. The panel is edited as I wanted, and all commands work as they should.

Again, this is a great tip, I also used it to put back the keyboard layout indicator which got lost when I edited xkb_plugin_set_xorg.sh. Stay well.

starterz, Aug 3, 2008
Ask a Question