Linpus Linux Lite on a Windows XP ACer Aspire One

Discussion in 'Linux' started by doblopirate, Aug 25, 2009.

1. doblopirate

doblopirate

Hi,
    I notice that there is a great deal for an Acer A110 N270 1GB 16GB 8.9" Blue XP 3G laptop, but as you can see it is a Windows XP version, and everybody deems to say that Windows XP (probably not surprisingly) runs slowly on these machines. Is it possible to get hold of a Linpus Linux Lite recovery disc/image, and reconfigure the machine this way?
    I'm a bit of a newbie with Linux, but have had a baptism of fire with the Elonex OneT+, which I find is a great PC, if a tad slow!
    The Acer Aspire was always my first choice for netbook, and with 3G built in, I think that it is the way forward for me.
    Thanking you in advance for your help.

doblopirate, Aug 25, 2009
  2. doblopirate

RockDoctor

It is possible, but I'm not sure how advisable. Make sure you've got a backup of your WinXP install in case you want to revert. The Linpus recovery process will wipe your SSD. When you boot Linpus, assuming it works, it'll probably appear as though your SSD is only 8MB (which was the size of the SSDs on the older A110s. Gparted on a bootable USB stick may be your friend here.

RockDoctor, Aug 26, 2009
  3. doblopirate

viva

No, it will format your whole drive, regardless its size. I installed a 1.8" 60 GB drive once in a A110 and the recovery procedure installed Linpus in one 60 GB partition.

I'd rather ask: why bother with Linpus? It seems Acer doesn't spend work on this anymore. It's outdated (based on Fedora 8) and you won't be able to install actual software in many cases. You should probably think about installing a 'real' distro such as Ubuntu or something tailored for the A110 such as Kuki Linux.

viva, Aug 27, 2009
  4. doblopirate

RockDoctor

Thanks for that. My "installation" was to dd a (compressed from) 8MB image onto an empty partition on my hard drive, then run resize2fs.

I fully agree with this one. Linpus had too many customizations that broke compatibility with Fedora 8 to be readily upgradable. As you can see from my sig, I'm partial to Fedora and Ubuntu; both work very well and are well-supported. If you're looking for a lightweight DE, you might give LXDE a try; if that's too lacking in features, there's always XFCE.

RockDoctor, Aug 27, 2009
  5. doblopirate

doblopirate

Thanks very much for all the info, guys (and gals).
    I'll let you know how I get on.
    Actually, if I go down the Ubuntu, Fedora,or other recommended routes, I may have to come back for some help with the install!
    Cheers, Doblopirate

doblopirate, Aug 28, 2009
Ask a Question