Linpus curious

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by diverduck1994, Sep 27, 2008.

1. diverduck1994

diverduck1994

Thinking about getting linpus version. Linpus is new to me and am not that PC savvy. That being said most of what i do is surfing the and play videos. I know for about $80 more I can get the 6cell 160gb xp version but I like the fact linpus boots up so quick. I would like to say I have recently put Ubuntu on my old PC and like how all the downloads are just right at your finger tips. That being said can someone like me enter the advanced mode and add apps fairly easy with outnreally messing things up. Also will updates delete or mess these downloads up? Thanks in advance

O yeah I havent really played with Ubuntu alot!

diverduck1994, Sep 27, 2008
  2. diverduck1994

Duncan_Rowland

3 cells will give you 2.5 hrs, 6 cell will give you 5 hrs, so if you plan watching movies while not plugged in I suggest the latter.
    If you plan on storing the movies locally then you probably want as much disk storage as possible (so 160gb sounds ideal).
    Linpus vs Xp is a personal preference. I prefer linux, but have used it for years and need a system I can tinker with. For "good" reasons I encourage you to use linux if you can,- see http://www.gnu.org/fry/ :). Yes, apps area easy to install and the intimidatingly titled "advanced mode" is really just a standard desktop. However, with the larger RAM I understand Xp works well too so really regarding the applications you give (surf/video) there is little to choose between them.
    -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 27, 2008
  3. diverduck1994

kevin

The difference in price between the various models is not great, so I would suggest that this shouldn't be a major factor in deciding what to buy. If what you mostly do is web browsing and playing videos, the Linpus model will do the job perfectly well, and offer the advantages of rapid startup, longer battery life, somewhat faster operation in use, and complete reliability.

But if you want to do more than that, you'll have to consider whether the effort of learning a fair amount about Linux is worth the return. For me it's a non-decision -- I bought a One because I knew I could run Linux on it, and I've been using Linux for ten years. But you shouldn't underestimate the effort involved in getting to grips with a whole new OS and user environment.

kevin, Sep 27, 2008
  4. diverduck1994

diverduck1994

Also does linpus with 512 mb surf relatively fast out of the box? thanks again

diverduck1994, Sep 27, 2008
  5. diverduck1994

rbil

Yes it does.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 27, 2008
  6. diverduck1994

Duncan_Rowland

Yes it does. But I have heard that that spec is not enough to run XP smoothly, so if you think you might want to install XP later, you probably need a higher spec to start with... (upgrading the memory is possible, but a right pain!).

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 27, 2008
Ask a Question