Linpus blinking cursor

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by desolatordan, Dec 24, 2008.

1. desolatordan

desolatordan

I have the 8GB SSD version of the AAO. Attempted to install XP for a dual boot of XP and Linpus. I used GParted and split the partition into:
    3.5Gb for Linpus
    3.5Gb for XP
    0.5Gb for Linux swap

GParted shows the partitions correctly, with the correct amount of used/free space in each. After installing XP, I get a blinking cursor when I try to start linpus. To switch the OS to start, I simply change the boot flag on the partition in GParted. The XP partition starts fine, and the Linpus partition was working fine until I installed XP. Now when I set the Linpus partition to boot, it simply goes to a blinking cursor screen after POST.

Any ideas? Something to do with the MBR or something? I don't see how the XP installation could do anything to the linux partition.

desolatordan, Dec 24, 2008
  2. desolatordan

dudut

same problem as me.

i try to figure out. but i don't know...

dudut, Dec 30, 2008
  3. desolatordan

desolatordan

Mostly solved! (With one quirk noted at bottom.)

Reinstalled Grub via a gparted live usb drive.

Use this guide for reference: http://radiodmp.net/aspireone/blog/

To reinstall Grub...
    Then add Windows XP to Grub if not already.
    NOTE: However I can't select anything anything in the grub menu. If I press a key it just starts the OS selected, which is linpus.

desolatordan, Jan 2, 2009
  4. desolatordan

Splatter665

The grub bootloader that comes with the Aspire One Linpus is modified and lacks some features. To select any os you must hold tab for about one second. Only then you can select an entry in the bootmenu.
    You can edit the grub configuration file to change the bootmenu. Edit the grub.conf and add a "default 1" right above the "timeout". After a reboot grub automatically highlights the second entry in the menu, which must be XP in your case. But to select an other os, you have to press tab again.

Another way to fix this is to install a new "unmodified" grub bootloader.

Hope this helps

Splatter665, Jan 2, 2009
  5. desolatordan

desolatordan

Ah, holding down tab for a second works. That's odd... thanks.

desolatordan, Jan 3, 2009
  6. desolatordan

andrea

I laready posted this somewhere else, but had not answer - please help me [aa0 HD, not SD]:

I need help, please, i have destroyed grub! I have only a black screen.
    when I follow the guide, this is what happen:
    Code:
    …
    # chroot /sda1
    chroot: cannot run command '/bin/zsh': No such file or directory
    # grub-install /dev/sda
    could not find device for /boot: Not found or not block device

Notes:
    I started from an XP machine, so I Ghosted XP, then used a Linpus Recovery CD, then adjusted partition and ghosted back XP on dev/sda3.
    The USB booting disk (for Gparted and grub editing) is a http://www.sysresccd.org/ 1.1.5
    What am I missing?
    Thank you ;-(

edit: I tried also to remove and reinstall grub as suggested in the guide and I obtained a non-booting system (no grub at all - black screen hanging). The only way to get back was to get back the ghost image of the linpus partition.
    My system is an Acer One 150 bw model LG5 -please help!

andrea, Feb 20, 2009
Ask a Question