Lets Talk a bit about the 3G slot

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by anso, Aug 3, 2008.

1. anso

anso

Hi everybody, I'm new on the forum. Sorry for my english which is very poor (I'm spanish)

We know that the slot which is too easy to open will be, after summer for include a 3G modem. All ok about it, but...

Will it be avaible just for new AA1?? or would we be able buy it from separate and plug it on our AA1's empty slot?

I saw some pictures that made me think that the answer to my second question is... in some AA1 yes, but others won't. Why do I say that? Look at this picture:

http://www.synstar.es/download/FC46C3293DCC68273ACCCF85CE038410/IMG_0518.JPG

The PCI-e connector is ready to plug the modem... it looks like no problem in this laptop. Let's see now my own one:

http://www.synstar.es/download/1F01B4C4D56694B57F1A98438AAA7A1C/P1000525.JPG

Where the hell is the connector??? will i have to buy a new one? I got so furious and I decided to open it and check what i was thinking about...

http://www.synstar.es/download/8B8FE2528266302C2A9D153B3FE14E3E/P1000530.JPG

Ok, that's all, two possible reasons... this is a cordless connection... or Acer fucked me.

What do you say? did you check your slot? my model comes from Taiwan (Ebay powered) could it be the reason of the innexisting connector?

Thank you!

anso, Aug 3, 2008
  2. anso

CP-Geek

I'm also studying the possibility to get 3G working. Sofar nothing.

BTW, it's polite to other web-readers to resize images You post on net. Especially when alot of us uses ONE's 1024x768. Your pics are 2000 to 3000 px...

CP-Geek, Aug 3, 2008
  3. anso

anso

I'm sorry, my web browser (One's web browser) auto resize images, next time i'll do it

Have you opened the slot? has your one PCIe connector?

anso, Aug 3, 2008
  4. anso

rjm

I thought that the connector was left unsoldered ... for now, until Acer starts offering 3G enabled aa1s bundled with subscription packages in a few months.

You can always use a USB dongle for 3G access though...

So, where/how did you find a aa1 wih the connector on board, as your first photo shows?

rjm, Aug 4, 2008
  5. anso

anso

anso, Aug 4, 2008
  6. anso

rory

I cant open the pics because I'm on my iPhone, but I'm guessing they're showing the underside of the board right where the 3g card would slot into and there's like a space for a connector, but it just isn't soldered on.
    Mine has that too, it's the standard one with 8gb 512mb Linux. The block shown in the pics on the Spanish site might be of an early review model of the one with 3g or it might be the 120gb one.
    I fancy soldering a USB hub into it, then there's space for touchscreen, 3g, a flash drive and still at least one free slot.
    Rory

rory, Aug 4, 2008
  7. anso

anso

Investigating the review's photos i saw an interesting detail...

It's not a current laptop! look at this lavel I've founded at the down face of that laptop:

http://www.synstar.es/download/519641756C17CA23CDF66E25200DEB36

Difficult to read, but the message is clear... if you want 3G... buy a usb device or buy a new AA1 :evil:

anso, Aug 5, 2008
  8. anso

sportal

Or you could solder a mini-PCI connector onto the slot. Probably (but not confirmed) all the chips are there, but just the mini-PCI slot is missing.

You would just need.
    - A talented solder person
    - Mini-PCI Slot to solder
    - 3G Mini PCI Card (from Sierra Wireless, etc)
    - An activated account, and maybe a sim.

BTW, has anyone found an extra antenna lead on the inside for this card?

sportal, Aug 5, 2008
  9. anso

anso

I think too that soldering the connector the device will work fine... I have a good soldering friend who will sure help-me, but i'm not sure about the connector availability... in this post...
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=243

a canadian mate tryed to buy a keyboard from acer by separate (just the keyboard), and acer didn't help him too mutch...

would they sell a connector for me when they don't sell a "simple" keyboard to that guy?

anso, Aug 5, 2008
  10. anso

rjm

Not a chance! (laugh)

Fortunately Acer are surely using a standard part, they don't make it themselves. So you just have to find the supplier.

By the way, the Spanish review you linked had the pre-production sample. You can tell just from looking at the bottom of the unit. The round dimple in the middle of the case has vents in the review samples, its solid plastic in the production units. The pre-production samples would have had the 3G connector in place for testing and demonstration of the feature to interested mobile providers.

Conclusion: those interested in 3G One should wait until the models are introduced. No, ok, if you do manage to solder a connector on there and get your own 3G up an working, you get major bragging rights! It's still a rather pointless waste of time and effort though, imho.

rjm, Aug 5, 2008
  11. anso

anso

I didn't think that, but if what you say is true... I'll investigate to buy one of those connectors when 3G modem avaible.

Thank you!

anso, Aug 5, 2008
  12. anso

Davidcowling

1024x600 i think it is

Davidcowling, Aug 12, 2008
  13. anso

Digital

Yep, you're right. It is 1024x600

Digital, Aug 13, 2008
  14. anso

GStechno

New to the site, (and posted this on another thread - but meant this one) but looking at the UMPC and I like the ACER. If this little device fits then I am sold. (got one on order Amazon)

http://www.ericsson.com/solutions/mobil ... _print.pdf

Called ACER Uk today and asked about it and he said that the 3G model would be released at Christmas. Did he mean it would ship with this installed?

He also said that all UK models would ship with a 3 cell battery.

GStechno, Aug 13, 2008
  15. anso

Sid

He did mean that it would ship with a 3G modem.

BTW no need to multi post.

Sid, Aug 13, 2008
  16. anso

Davidcowling

ill buy the 3G slot to go in my AA1 when/if it comes out separately.

Davidcowling, Aug 14, 2008
  17. anso

janne303

Any news about the strange gsmcard slot under the battery and the WWLAN mini pci slot?

janne303, Aug 19, 2008
  18. anso

cellar

hi guys,
    just checked my AA1 and tadaa: no mini pci connector!
    this wasn't too surprising but got me to think. if the connectors are missing, then necessary ICs could be missing as well meaning that a complicated job of soldering the mini pci connector to the pcb won't be enough.
    is there any expert out there who could check on this?
    greets
    cellar

cellar, Aug 21, 2008
  19. anso

Syco54645

you could solder a small gutted usb hub onto the usb side and add bluetooth and something else, like a touch screen, 3g modem, and in the last slot, a thumb drive. that is what i intend to do with mine at least.

Syco54645, Aug 22, 2008
Ask a Question