Lenovo in the News Again for Installing Spyware on Its Machines

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Sefie, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

[​IMG]

Despite launching a number of interesting products this year, Lenovo has perhaps got more press time for the things it has done wrong. The Chinese technology conglomerate is back in news, this time for allegedly installing a program on at least some of its refurbished notebook lineup that is programmed to send users' feedback data to Lenovo. Upon further inspection, the program seems to have an association with a third-party marketing and Web analytics firm.

As per many users' report, the company ships its factory refurbished laptops with a program called "Lenovo Customer Feedback Program 64" that is scheduled to run every day. According to its description, Lenovo Customer Feedback Program 64 "uploads Customer Feedback Program data to Lenovo."

Upon further digging, Michael Horowitz of Computerworld found these files in the folder of the aforementioned program: "Lenovo.TVT.CustomerFeedback.Agent.exe.config,Lenovo.TVT.CustomerFeedback.InnovApps.dll, and Lenovo.TVT.CustomerFeedback.OmnitureSiteCatalyst.dll." As he further pointed out, Omniture, as mentioned in the suffix of one of the files, is an online marketing and Web analytics firm, which suggests that the laptops are tracking and monitoring users' activities.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/new...for-installing-spyware-on-its-machines-743952

I am so glad I never got that Lenovo laptop they were selling at a store last year, so happy with my Toshiba :)

Sefie, Oct 16, 2015
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

That is just terrible, and I don't like thing like this installing on my machine without a proper agreement from me. I never have Lenovo so I am very glad and will forever stay from this brand.

IcyBC, Oct 16, 2015
  3. Sefie

something back

Naughty!!!

something back, Oct 16, 2015
  4. Sefie

Sefie

@IcyBC I was so close to get one of their laptops, mostly because they claimed their batter could last even 6 hours :O I am so glad i didn't fall for tat! This isn't the first time they have been caught doing this, they are a very shady company, no idea how they can keep afloat...

@something back Naughty indeed!

Sefie, Oct 17, 2015
Ask a Question