LENOVO IDEAPAD S10 IN OCTOBER!!! MIGHT WANT TO STOP THE A1!

Discussion in 'Lenovo / IBM' started by iCoder, Aug 10, 2008.

1. iCoder

iCoder

Its such a beautiful pc at very cheap
    u can get a 1gb ram, 160hdd, winxp
    for a cheap price, plus, the lenovo looks like a better build than the acerr,
    http://www.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/lapto ... 10_540.jpg
    check that pic out, you might want to consider holding your thought of buying the acer aspire one!!
    leave comments and all opinions!!

iCoder, Aug 10, 2008
  2. iCoder

Sid

Jam today - jam tomorrow :)

See my post on saving money with my One.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=840

Savings for me between now and October would be over £1500, so I am happy I did not wait.
    There will be an awful lot of other netbooks on the market by then, with more features and functions than we all have now.
    Why do companies pre announce so far ahead (when others are already in the marketplace)?

Lenovo - It looks a bit thick.

Sid, Aug 10, 2008
  3. iCoder

rjm

I guess they preannounce in the hope that you deide you simply must wait those two months and not buy somebody elses netbook now instead.

Actually the "upgrade" outlook for the next little while looks reasonably quiet, unless Intel has a new chipset for Atom waiting in the wings somewhere, with, say, DMI/DVI support, better 3D graphics, or lower power consumption. You got the N330 dual core coming, but people aren't exactly clamoring for more CPU horsepower for these things. Maybe to run Vista? Who knows. Higher resolution sceens of the same the 8.9" size is of dubious usefulness. The SSDs will gt bigger and better of course. 3G looks like the most interesting thing on he horizon really.

So its just a matter of more of the same, from more manufacturers, until someone somewhere gets it right.

The S10 isn't exactly something to drop an A1 for. Its more of a Wind/1000H class competitor. The S9 goes against he 904. Bigger, more traditional notebook form factor. Styling is a pretty weak in my opinion. I'm kinda surprised they went for a MacBook-ish, bevelled-brick look, rather clunky I thought, but I guess they already have the X200 and making a Thinkpad at was price was anyway out of he question.

Next up for an announcement: Sony I guess. And there's the Dell E coming, and the 2133 Atom reboot. Plenty of choice, though personally nothing that clearly obsoletes the A1 in either style, features, or price.

rjm, Aug 10, 2008
  4. iCoder

iCoder

well said

iCoder, Aug 10, 2008
  5. iCoder

fw1962

Buy a Acer One A150L and use it min 2 months - and in two months, everything has changed again - have fun now :)

I am a Linux Newbie - Today, i have a Thinkpad X61 12" with XP and a Acer One A110L with Linpus Linux (and it makes a lot of fun - more as XP :D )

and also there are Ebay

fw1962, Aug 10, 2008
  6. iCoder

janss

1) PLEASE DO NOT YELL YOUR TOPICS. WE MUCH RATHER READ normal text instead of THOSE HUGE CLUMPY CAPITAL LETTERS.

2) There's a topic about this computer in here allready (8.9 Inch Lenovo Netbook On It’s Way), one general topic about one machine is enough.

3) I don't think it's any prettier than the One. I personally like the looks of the One very much.

4) The 120 GB / 1 GB / XP One is 429 USD, the Lenovo with 160 GB / 1 GB / XP is (estimated) 450 USD... What makes the S10 so cheap?

5) The One is of very good build quality, can't imagine the Lenovo being much better.

But for each their own. I think the reason for choosing one netbook over another is more of an emotional decision, not based on pure facts and specs and price. The One was just what I was looking for, looked the way I like and had a good price tag, so I bought it and haven't had a single regret.

janss, Aug 11, 2008
  7. iCoder

jeromlenz

iCoder is just another Lenovo employee! lol :lol: Busted!
    Can't this message be moderated/deleted? (Indeed capital letters in the subject are forbidden and the post has no value added.)

jeromlenz, Aug 11, 2008
  8. iCoder

janss

It's always good to keep some bad examples too, this thread has over 350 reads, so atleast a few dozen new people are now aware that TITLES IN ALL CAPS ARE NOT ALLOWED BY THE GENERAL RULES OF NICE BEHAVIOR IN PUBLIC FORUMS ;)

janss, Aug 11, 2008
  9. iCoder

iCoder

huh? i have an acer aspire one lolo how am i a lenovo employee?;s

iCoder, Aug 11, 2008
  10. iCoder

jeromlenz

Don't pretend you're not! :cool:
    When I read your message - and other 'ultra-positive'/'professionally written' reviews in Newegg for example for some eee models... I really can tell those opinions are flawed and should just be ignored when making a purchase.
    (+ it is a bit trolling, telling people to wait for 2 months for ... nothing more than the AAOne indeed!? as mentioned above)
    You can't hide from THE EYE! :mrgreen: (Lord of the Rings - lol)

jeromlenz, Aug 11, 2008
  11. iCoder

loopyoyo

loopyoyo, Aug 18, 2008
  12. iCoder

hmmwv

Are you kidding me? The S10 has one 512Mb DDR25300 RAM bank soldered onboard, just like the A1 but faster. It's the same 1.5G max which sucks compare to the Wind. I don't understand why Acer solder a DDR2 4200 bank on the mobo and then include a DDR2 5300 module in the slot. We all know computer will go with the slowest memory speed, so we are pretty much stuck with 533mhz.

hmmwv, Aug 27, 2008
  13. iCoder

jackluo923

We all know that Atom only and its chipsets only support 400/533mhz memory. Thus using DDR2 667 or 800 will be the same as using DDR2 533. The memory controller will automatically downclock the memory to 533mhz. So Acer did the right thing by soldering a DDR2 4300 on the mobo. So we're basically stuck with 533mhz ram regardless of memory soldered on the the PCB or inserted in the memory module slot.

jackluo923, Aug 28, 2008
  14. iCoder

emilb

I ownd an Aspire One 150. Now is to my wife. I'm looking for a new netbook for my self. The Aspire One is nice, but is buggy. I've intended to buy another one, but while waiting for the 6-cell version to be available in my country I've discovered there are new models available on the market. While I've got the AA1 there was no competitor to satisfy my. First I've discovered the Asus N10. Have nice specifications but is too big and small screen regarding its size. It is a little smaller than my 12.1" notebook. So, no way. Then I've discovered the Lenovo S10. I was impressed. Looks like the ideal netbook for me.
    What I like to Lenovo S10:
    - size, is almost the same with the AA1, the perfect size for a netbook.
    - screen, is 10.2"
    - specifications, same processor and chipset as the AA1, but the Broadcomm wireless card and the bluetooth version has the Broadcomm bluetooth as well. For what I use the bluetooth only the broadcomm stack satisfied, and this works only with the Broadcommm adapters.
    - the back pannel for easy acces to HDD and RAM, and I've read on the Internet there are users with 2G of RAM. When a 2G module inserted tha on board 512M is disable. No case for AA1.

What I don't like, but nothing is perfect:
    - screen is not glossy, as the AA1, I like the glossy screen. And in sunlight in my opinion both glare and non glare screen behave the same.
    - is a little heavier than AA1
    - not the same look
    - keyboard not well designed as the AA1 that in my opinion has the best keyboard
    - no 6-cell battery yet

Of, course there is the newest member of the Netbook family ad this is the HP Mini Note 1000. But at this time there are not much information. Maybee will be my next netbook. But will se. May be to expensive. the 2133 is too expensive in my opinion. And may not be available a white version that I like very much because the white keybord is easier to use in low light condition that the black one. Most time I use the netbook in bad, on evening while watching TV. Both the AA1 and Lenovo have white versions.

emilb, Oct 28, 2008
  15. iCoder

ramdiane

hey,

have a look at the new Samsung NC10 which also has a 10.2 screen, a 6 cell battery, 1GB RAM, 160gb HArd drive with a NON-GLOSSY screen. HAve a look at other sections of this forum for more info.

It comes out in a couple of weeks I think, and if you are in the UK, it will retail at £299 which is really cheap for what you get for the same price here...

But if you are in the US, it will be much cheaper than that

ramdiane, Oct 29, 2008
  16. iCoder

emilb

I know about the new Samsung. As I remember the Samsung is a bigger and heavier. Now I am a curious about new HP Mini Note 1000...

emilb, Oct 29, 2008
  17. iCoder

ramdiane

No, the samsung is only slightly heavier thanks to the 6 cell battery and extra roomy harddrive. I thought the lenovo was a 10.2 inch monitor too??

anyway, HP Mini Note 1000 looks like a fantastic proposition, however the 3 cell battery and only 60gb harddrive turns me away slightly. But they said they will release a 6 cell soon, which will make the HP Note 1000 the same weight as the Samsung, and the same size...

ramdiane, Oct 29, 2008
  18. iCoder

vinistois

I only paid $350 for my one and I haven't seen any competitors come near that price.

Its much, much lighter than the EE1000, don't know about these other ones, but it really seems like the Acer one is the cheapest, lightest one out there ATM.

10" screens are kinda useless unless you get more res out of it, which you don't (yet), so its just more power draw and size.

Getting a fancy heavy 10" netbook is like getting a hybrid bike. Its stuck halfway between 2 good products. The result is a product that is ok at many things but not the best at any of them.

What i mean is, a netbook should be as small, light, and cheap as possible. Otherwise you might as well spend the extra couple hundred and get a real laptop.

vinistois, Oct 29, 2008
Ask a Question