Lenovo - 3+3dual cell or integrated Li Polymer cell?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by kennyabcd2011, Oct 21, 2015.

1. kennyabcd2011

kennyabcd2011

I haven't had a laptop for a decade and I am now planning and studying to buy a new laptop.

3 Internal + 3 External dual cell is a new idea to me. I am wondering what is the advantage for such design?? And what is the reason for this design?? The only advantage is if the internal battery fails your laptop can still survive with an external battery, but when it is designed to suit an external battery already, why does it still need an internal battery??

Just because to keep the laptop a bit lighter in weight for some time?? In fact, I don't know if I am silly or if the design is silly.

On the other hand ,the only question I have about an integrated Li Polymer cell is if it is a kind of cell that would fail easily? Since the warranty for battery is only 1 year.

Thank you very much

kennyabcd2011, Oct 21, 2015
  2. kennyabcd2011

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Congratulations... when I typed "Lenovo - 3+3 dual cell" Your post was the top of the 'hit' list
    Why did I type that? I did it to try to find out what you were talking about... (it does help kenny, to explain what your question refers to)... 3+3dual cell means nothing to most people, unless they have been - or are using - one - now.

I assume you are thinking of buying one of these...
    Lenovo's ThinkPad T440 packs dual batteries, runs up to 17 hours
    The new ThinkPad has an inbuilt, non-replaceable battery AND the accessories to allow an External battery to be plugged into it.
    According to the 'blurb' The replaceable battery can be changed without powering down, since the internal battery keeps the laptop running, so it isn't there IF the internal battery runs out of steam... it is there to (possibly) save using the Internal battery...
    From Lenovo's Thinkpad S230u User guide...
    Do not let rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries completely discharge or store these batteries in a discharged state, it could shorten the life of the battery and can also pose a safety hazard... It also says... Do not attempt to replace the internal rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Contact Lenovo Support for factory replacement.

From that I assume - as and when the Internal battery dies (after 1000 cycles or 1 year - whichever comes first) you can send your Laptop to Lenovo to have a replacement battery fitted... an an extra cost...

Personally, I would no longer buy a NEW all singing, all dancing Laptop - I find that the Ex-Business Laptops which have been Refurbished by a reputable Company are GREAT! They are stronger (if a bit heavier) being built to be used by NON-OWNERS who don't care that the Companies Laptop they have been loaned, is getting knocked around...

My current Refurbished HP Elitebook has a removeable DVD unit which can be replaced by either, a 'Spare Battery' or even a second Hard drive... fantastic for long journeys or the HDD can be used for making back-ups... and it cost LESS THAN £250.
    The Normal Hard drive is held in an removable Tray - accessible through a trapdoor in the bottom of the Laptop... I used that to have the Technical version of Windows 10 running on my Elitebook,swappable with either Windows 7 or Windows 8... even LINUX without the hassle of having to continually Re-install Windows if things went wrong... Such a versatile Laptop.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 22, 2015
  3. kennyabcd2011

kennyabcd2011

Internal battery will possibly die after 1000 cycles even under normal use?

I think warranty for the battery will certainly expire after 1 year.

Does it make sense to get a 3+3 dual cell laptop instead of the one that is with integrated cell at all so that even if the internal cell has failed and the warranty has expired, I can still have the laptop running using the external battery?

kennyabcd2011, Oct 22, 2015
  4. kennyabcd2011

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Like anything associated with Computers... it all depends on what YOU feel will be best for YOU...

If it was my next purchase... I'd think about googling 'replace internal battery Lenovo Thinkpad T440'
    in fact here is the actual page on the Lenovo website...

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd029000

They supply a Battery diagnostic program (see webpage) so you can see if your battery is dead and needs to be buried...
    So YES, it is possible to replace the internal battery.. but not recommended... (Like iPhone batteries... but there are lots of iPhone replacement batteries available... just voids the warranty)...

But, my guess is that getting a replacement Internal battery thru' Lenovo themselves is going to be EXPENSIVE...
    but that needs to be taken into consideration when factoring in exactly how much you are willing to spend in future support for your computer.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 24, 2015
  5. kennyabcd2011

kennyabcd2011

you said 1000 cycles for a battery..................... If it's an internal battery, and I use the laptop every day then less than 3 years the laptop will have problems

kennyabcd2011, Oct 24, 2015
  6. kennyabcd2011

Brian8gbSSDLinux

That is exactly what we all find out with Laptops...

Fortunately for most of us, there are (Possibly Chinese) replacement batteries... which are FAR cheaper than the Manufacturers own replacement batteries

And which, in most cases actually work OK - I have only ever found 2 new cheap alternate batteries that 'failed' for my Samsung Notebooks
    The first just would not work - it was sent back and the Company replaced it without problem.

The second battery would not fit into the notebook case - the dimensions were just a tiny bit out - a quick bit of filing, sorted that one out.. but THAT is not something we normally find.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 27, 2015
Ask a Question