Leaving Battery on Charge Constantly?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by LTCSZ, Feb 16, 2009.

1. LTCSZ

LTCSZ

Is it safe to leave the Acer plugged in all the time? Will it toast the battery? I couldn't find any info in the manual about it...Thanks,

Steve

LTCSZ, Feb 16, 2009
  2. LTCSZ

goofball

it's not the best thing for the battery, as the cells will just heat up for no reason.

goofball, Feb 16, 2009
  3. LTCSZ

LTCSZ

Thanks...I sort of suspected something like that...While I'm here: What is the best way to maximize the battery chargebility? I have read that it is good to run it all the way down and recharge several times, and just the opposite; that it doesn't make much difference either way...Your advice would be welcome on this also! Sorry to bother you with so many questions...

Steve

LTCSZ, Feb 16, 2009
  4. LTCSZ

hugemoth

Back when laptops had nicad batteries it was good to run them all the way down then charge them all the way up to prevent the nicad memory effect. Not necessary with lithium. If you're going to be using the computer at home on the desk for long periods of time remove the battery and run off the power supply.

Q

hugemoth, Feb 16, 2009
  5. LTCSZ

ronime

I would hope that some intelligent charging circuitry in the AA1 and/or the battery would stop charging the battery when it is full.

There does seem to be plenty of conflicting advice about what is good for Li-Ion batteries. From what I can tell, Li-Ion batteries do not like deep discharge and frequent "topping up" of a partially discharged battery is considered less harmful.

All Li-Ion batteries have a limited lifetime - they all wear out after a limited number of charge/discharge cycles. The controller circuits inside the AA1 batteries can report charge and wear rates and utilities such as Notebook Battery Info and PC Wizard 2008 can be useful to monitor this. It would seem that even "new" AA1 batteries report around 3% wear levelling.

The 64WH battery in my daughter's HP laptop now is now reduced to 50WH after around 12months of daily use.

ronime, Feb 16, 2009
  6. LTCSZ

LTCSZ

Thanks for the info...I did not think about removing the battery and just running on AC power...I'll give it a try...Most of my usage is on AC anyway...

Steve

LTCSZ, Feb 16, 2009
  7. LTCSZ

Ranger Wolf

wait... i thought laptops ran directly off the A/C cable if their charged fully. thats why the light stays green not not red to indicate continuous charge. Am i wrong? o.o;;

Ranger Wolf, Feb 16, 2009
  8. LTCSZ

goofball

it's not a continuous charge but a trickle charging will occur over time. That's unfortunately considered a "charge cycle" by the battery in most situations.

goofball, Feb 17, 2009
  9. LTCSZ

mdarnton

Every laptop I have had, and that's been quite a few, has been plugged in virtually 100% of the time, when they've been at home (and they've been on, in standby most of that time, too) and not only have I never had a problem, but my total battery live has been exceptional. The battery in the most recent computer to be retired was over three years old, and had hardly declined at all. I have read a lot of non-experience-based theory about this, and conflicting info from the various manufacturers of the machines I've had, but that's been the reality.

mdarnton, Feb 17, 2009
  10. LTCSZ

woofer00

The bigger problem, as has been hinted above, is that even though the battery is only getting a trickle charge, it is nevertheless constantly exposed to the heat generated by the laptop. The heat reduces the life expectancy of the battery far more than the perpetual trickle charge, hence the advice to store batteries in a refrigerator to minimize loss of life expectancy.

woofer00, Feb 18, 2009
  11. LTCSZ

Ranger Wolf

while that would help, who is going to stick their battery in the fridge every day? if i get 3 or 4 years out of ym laptop battery, which i run of ac all day long with battery, i'm happy. I only have the 3 cell, so I'd upgrade to the 6 cell or get a new laptop by that time anyways.

Ranger Wolf, Feb 18, 2009
  12. LTCSZ

sk3rmo

i tried removing the battery before whenever i am just home at using ac power. Unfortunately one time there was a power outage and it scared the stiff out of me. It was a good thing that my aa1 powered back up after i inserted the battery. i don't think i would remove the battery again. Just thinking what would have happened had the timing of the power outage coincided with the ssd doing its thing,,,

sk3rmo, Feb 18, 2009
  13. LTCSZ

woofer00

What he said. I pull the battery once the charge is full and set it aside. All my electronics are plugged into a backup power supply of some sort, so I worry a little less about power outages.

woofer00, Feb 18, 2009
  14. LTCSZ

facelessone

it is better to leave the battery inside becouse it is used as a capacitor, it filtrates the voltage making it more stable.

facelessone, Feb 18, 2009
  15. LTCSZ

melhiore

My 9-cell, 7800mAh battery is 5 months old. Wear level is still 0%. I never took it off AA1 while using AC. Do not see any reason for that TBH... In couple of my previous laptops I was doing the same - battery was always left in... Never had any problems, so judge for your self...

melhiore, Feb 18, 2009
Ask a Question