LCD Color Problems

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by mikeee, Aug 31, 2008.

1. mikeee

mikeee

Hi all,

Just got my AAO (120 GB XP version). So far it's great, but I think the display on my unit might be flaking out. I realize that Acer used an 18 bit display on this unit and I'm fine with that, but I get weird green pixelation during video playback (especially the background where there are a lot of colours). It also seems to appear on first boot up of the day, when the machine is cold (on the windows bootup screen). Once windows is started it gets a bit better but still has problems with video.

I found the following test patterns online:

http://www.visi.com/~leppik/images/bit_test18.png
    http://www.visi.com/~leppik/images/bit_test24.png

For me on both the 18 bit and the 24 bit one of the grey colors shows as speckled green... I'm guessing there's a problem with my display and everyone else can view the image without problem?

mikeee, Aug 31, 2008
  2. mikeee

3earnhardt3

Pictures fine here. Did you install the latest drivers or are you using the stock ones? Either way I'd start there.

3earnhardt3, Aug 31, 2008
  3. mikeee

brachiopod

That's interesting. I've looked at both images with my One 120MB XP version, and they look OK. I can see the bands in the 18 bit color image, and can't see any in the 24 bit color image (uh, why is that if the controller is 18 bit?). I don't see any green speckles in the grey area. Do you have your screen depth set to 32 bit?

brachiopod, Aug 31, 2008
  4. mikeee

mikeee

I think I have the latest drivers (4926)... seems odd as usually display problems are localized to one area of the display, but this happens anywhere I move the picture around to... maybe it's a GPU problem? It could be, I'll try it with an external monitor to see if it still happens... might have to return it and get another one.

mikeee, Aug 31, 2008
  5. mikeee

brachiopod

I just have the stock drivers that came with the machine, just a sec and I will look at the versions....

I have the 6.14.10.4926 version also. The only weird thing is that there are two Intel 945 devices in my device manager. Did you goof with the display settings in the driver with the provided program? Make sure it is still 32 bit I guess.

brachiopod, Aug 31, 2008
  6. mikeee

mikeee

Yeah, I tried switching it between 16bit and 32bit. It's acting very weird... when it first starts up the screens have a lot of green "static" (looks like interference). As the machine warms up it gets a bit better but never really goes away. I hooked it up to a monitor and the VGA output didn't have the same problem so I'm thinking it's a flawed display. I can still return it and get a new one, but it's going to be a pain to reinstall everything.

mikeee, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question