Lasted for Two Years and Crashed

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Carles, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Carles

Carles

I had got a Toshiba laptop for Christmas a couple years back and it was working perfectly fine and then for no reason it stopped working. I opened it one day and the screen was black and not doing anything. I had to get a new hard drive put in and not it works incredibly slowly and often overheats.

Carles, Feb 26, 2014
  2. Carles

something back

Have you checked the vents for blockages?,is the fan spinning?

How was the hard drive replaced, eg was it clone copied?

Why did you think it was a faulty hard drive,have you virus checked and anti-malware checked.

Why do you think it's over heating?

What system version are you running?

something back, Feb 27, 2014
  3. Carles

Sefie

Woah, I'm starting to feel kinda scared after reading this section. My previous laptop was a Toshiba, just like my current one, it I still have the old one (is 6 years old!). I thought Toshiba was one of the best brands and a leading brand when it comes to laptops? A friend of mine who fixes computers even told me the Toshiba laptops were sturdy and strong.

Dear poster, sorry to read about your experience! Did you always use an extra cooling fan? Did you take the battery ou and kept the lapop running on electricity most of them time?

Sefie, Feb 28, 2014
  4. Carles

NeroFerk

Chances are your fan is either broken or very dusty to where it can't be moved. Have you tried taking it to a repairman?

NeroFerk, Feb 28, 2014
  5. Carles

Carles

Vents aren't blocked and fan is spinning.
    I'm not sure how the hard drive was replaced.
    Don't know why it was faulty and I have virus and malware checked
    Not sure why it's overheating
    Running Windows 7

Carles, Mar 1, 2014
  6. Carles

Carles

I've tried cleaning it with canned air, do you think that would clean it. I'm pretty sure the fan isn't broken because I can hear it running.

Carles, Mar 1, 2014
  7. Carles

something back

Canned air should have done the trick to clear the vents, and fan.

If it continues to overheat then you may have to clean the the top of the c.p.u and re-apply thermal paste between the heat-sink and C.P.U

It's a very complicated procedure best done by a computer shop, and it means a nearly full strip down.it's expensive.

something back, Mar 1, 2014
  8. Carles

something back

Please don't think this is a rude comment but, using the canned air, you placed the
    thin tube supplied, in the vents spraying into the vents and towards the fan which is the correct method.

There's nothing lost in repeating the process.

You need to be aware that the canned air is very flammable and the process should be done in a well vented area.

You are correct it will run slow and not work correctly if the computer is overheating.

something back, Mar 1, 2014
  9. Carles

Rachael

I had the same problem.

I experienced my first hard drive crash 2 months after buying the laptop. I was able to get it replaced because it was under warranty. It then happened 1 year later, EXACT SAME THING! I will never buy a Toshiba again. I have heard from several others who have had no problems, but this bad experience scarred me for life! Especially since I paid about $700 for this, which may not be a lot for some people but was a waste for me considering how short a time I had the laptop.

Rachael, Apr 11, 2016
  10. Carles

IcyBC

I have come to believe that laptops were not made to last anymore, especially these past 10 years or so. My HP laptop suffered the same faith after two years! I will have to look for a reliable computer repairman to do something about the overheating as I wouldn't want to mess it up worst than it already is!

IcyBC, Apr 12, 2016
  11. Carles

spence88

Laptops do require more maintenance than desktops, due to the fact that they overheat faster than a desktop. However, some laptop parts like the hard drive have better lifespan and reliability over their desktop counterparts! I've read before that 2.5" HDD offers 3x shock resistance more than a 3.5" HDD. Your laptops can last as long as a desktop with proper maintenance.

I'd also like to add that if your laptop crashed, it's not always the manufacturers fault or it doesn't mean that your manufacturer is incompetent. Even the best manufacturers make units that turn out to be the occasional lemon! There are also other factors that are out of control of the manufacturer. Sometimes, it's better to look at the specs itself than the brand! :)

spence88, Apr 15, 2016
  12. Carles

Corzhens

Pardon me if I cannot contribute to this thread for I am not a tech. When things like that happen to me, my recourse is to bring the laptop to the tech. It's no use diagnosing the problem by myself or asking around because the tech is equipped not only with the knowledge to diagnose but also with the tools that would help in pinpointing the problem.

When our desktop quit without warning, my husband's impulse was to open the case. And when he smelled something burnt then he thought it was the power supply that got burned. But to confirm, he brought the CPU to the repair shop which confirmed his suspicion.

Corzhens, Apr 18, 2016
Ask a Question