Laptop's screen

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by FenWoFon, Apr 13, 2016.

1. FenWoFon

FenWoFon

Well I am one of those people who never closes the laptop's screen to make it last longer, is it good or does it really extend the laptop's life? I have heard a lot about that if you close the screen way too much it could get easily broken, what do you think?

FenWoFon, Apr 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. FenWoFon

fcuco

Well, your post got me thinking, I don't know if you can make your screen last longer but certainly the hinges and connections between the screen and the main body are basically the only remaining mechanical parts of modern laptops so it makes perfect sense for you to avoid opening an closing the screen a lot. Actually, I had a laptop die on me because the internal connection between the monitor's cable and the CPU got loose, In that particular case it was more about heat problems but I can see the rationale behind avoiding to open and close the screen all the time.

The open screen could pose other problems though, like a lot of dust collecting on the keyboard.

fcuco, Apr 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. FenWoFon

IBMPC8088

The hinges on some models are not made as nicely as they are on others, and the bearings wear out or the springs start to give. It varies from model to model and what they used to make the swivel part of the monitor. Most of them are similar if not the same anymore, and it's a little like the old flip phones before smart phones were around (but not as drastic).

There is a certain amount of pressure that the screen encounters over and over again, and if the wire is too close to the hinge or pinches it, it can affect the video connection to the board or stop it from working over time.

Most laptops do not experience this as phones do, but the hinges can wear out on some models, and while normal pressure over time doesn't make the screen go out like it did on those old phones, it can lead to dead pixels or stuck pixels on the display.

If you put small pads at the top (upper right and upper left) corners of the laptop on the plastic edges, it can help cushion the close of the screen a little and not stress the hinges as much. In a way, it works like a door knob saver / wall shield. On some doors, a person can push it ajar and it will hit the wall, destroying the drywall (makes a hole), the doorknob, or both. If you put a door knob stop on the wall, when a person pushes it too quickly or too hard, the stop will prevent the door knob from impacting the wall too hard. Having small pads at the top corners of your screen can work the same way when you close the lid to the laptop monitor to protect it for longer.

The only other thing is to have a laptop that is easy to replace the screen on, and try to never put too much pressure on the front or the back of it, since either one can affect the display if too much.

IBMPC8088, Apr 13, 2016
  4. FenWoFon

FenWoFon

There you go, at least I am not the only one that startedthinking about this, well you should try it and see how good it works, it might not be easy to notice since I dont really think that we'll be checking the hinges 24/7 but it should make some considerable difference indeed.

FenWoFon, Apr 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. FenWoFon

Corzhens

This reply is about our old desktop that we leave the switch of the monitor in the ON position. My husband said that it is not good to use the switch since when we turn on the CPU it should also automatically turn on the monitor. And that went for years. But come to think of it, what have we saved regarding the monitor? Only the switch since the switching on and off has no effect on the life of the monitor.

Corzhens, Apr 13, 2016
  6. FenWoFon

IcyBC

I am not sure how much is too much in closing and opening. I close my screen when I am not using for more than few hours. If I don't close it, I am afraid something else will happen to it too. Basically, I open and close my laptop roughly 5-6 times a day!

IcyBC, Apr 23, 2016
Ask a Question