Laptop wont stay in 16 bit after reboot

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ChrisM, Oct 11, 2008.

1. ChrisM

ChrisM

I have been using 16 bit color vs 32 bit because it seems to speed up video playback. I can't see color well enough to tell the difference.

After I reboot the laptop, it reverts back to 32 bit color. Is anyone else experiencing this? Has anyone figured out how to make the laptop stay in 16 bit mode?

ChrisM, Oct 11, 2008
  2. ChrisM

sideways

set the DefaultDepth to 16 in the "Screen" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf and make sure there is a Subsection with Depth 16.

How are you determining the current bit depth of the display? Are you sure it is 16bit? I would be surprised if you saw much performance difference. Have you got a proper benchmark? I tried it and actually found it worse for apps like the playstation emulator pSX.

sideways, Oct 11, 2008
  3. ChrisM

ChrisM

Sorry, forgot to mention I am running XP. I am checking depth by using the display properties. I assume you are talking about Linux in your reply. I view a lot of streaming video. I find that I can get a little longer battery life by using 16 bit vs 32 bit color by using the lower setting. FPS doesn't change much from what I have seen.

ChrisM, Oct 11, 2008
Ask a Question