Laptop won't start anymore - is this the end??

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Sefie, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Hello everyone! I have a new problem with my old Toshiba Satellite laptop. As of yesterday the laptop will apparently turn on normally, but once I enter my password the laptop will start ''loading'', but it never takes me to desktop anymore.

That wouldn't be a problem if I hadn't left important files there!!! I just got my new laptop weeks ago, but I was abroad and didn't really have time to transfer all the things that needed to be transferred!!!!! What can I do??

Thanks in advance!

Sefie, Mar 9, 2014
  2. Sefie

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Get an HDD Caddy - The ones from Aria.co.uk come with screwdriver, screws and a USB connector cable to connect to your Computer. Cost £5.99 inc VAT plus postage (£4.00 (or less?)
    see the Aria Website here...
    https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Storage/Hard+Drives/Hard+Drive+Accessories

Remove HDD from Dead Computer...
    Fit it into the Caddy
    Plug the Caddy into Working Computer
    after Windows installs required driver (automatically)
    View Files on HDD in Windows Explorer, as if it was sitting INSIDE Working computer...
    Copy across required Files, Photos, college work & etc.,

Caddy + HDD is NOW an External Hard Drive...
    the HDD in it could be Formatted and be used for BACK-UPs

Hope this is helpful

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 9, 2014
    something back likes this.
  3. Sefie

Sefie

Hi Brian!!! Thank for the reply! I actually managed to solve this problem yesterday, it turns out the laptop wasn't that dead after all. It took me a while to figure this out, but in the end (almost like a miracle) I could find the answer. I just tried to turn it on again and then I kept hitting the F8 key until the booting menu appeared. Then I hit the ''log in with the last valid configuration'', so I did. And voila! No more loading screen and I could finally get to my desktop. No idea if the laptop will start normally the next time tho.

Sefie, Mar 11, 2014
  4. Sefie

JPeg

Good job Sefie! I had something similar happen with my old HP laptop. First, the keyboard refused to work so I hooked up an auxiliary one, then the whole thing refused to turn on. I ended up ditching it because I was so irritated by the whole thing. I should have persevered like you did.

JPeg, Mar 12, 2014
  5. Sefie

mikelouis

Since you have bee sorted out, I think good job to you is in order. At least there are some people here who can actually help in solving the problems that we face with out computers on a daily activities.

mikelouis, Mar 14, 2014
  6. Sefie

OhioTom76

I had a similar issue with my Lenovo laptop, only it was giving me a blue screen of death during the startup process. At first I thought it was a hardware issue, but for the heck of it I decided to try and reformat my whole system and return it back to its factory state with the build in One Click Recovery tool. Once I did this, it started working just fine again. Perhaps it's about time for you to back up your files and do a clean reformat of your system in case anything has gotten corrupt over time.

You may also want to consider using the free storage space that Google and Microsoft offer, to back up at least your important files out to the cloud. I have mine going out to Microsoft OneDrive, just in case my computers completely fail on me and I can't retrieve anything off of them.

OhioTom76, Mar 14, 2014
Ask a Question