Laptop VS Smartphones

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by joshposh, Jul 7, 2016.

1. joshposh

joshposh

I still firmly believe that a laptop is the first choice for business minded individuals such as myself. But I notice there is a trend going on. More people are giving up there laptop for their smartphones. They say it can do whatever a laptop can, but I beg to differ. There is so much more you can do that a smartphone can't. When they do increase the Ram in a phone to 16 GB or more, then I'll look into it. Until then a bigger screen, more ram, and a full keyboard is still king.

What are you thoughts? Laptop or Smartphone?

joshposh, Jul 7, 2016
    DecMikashimota and hades_leae like this.
  2. joshposh

rz3300

I would never give up my laptop for a phone, and I would rather do the opposite if anything, but I certainly recognize that phones are able to do a lot more than they used to, and also more than people would have guessed, I believe. That said, I have transferred some of the activities that I used to do on the computer to the phone, but I still need to be able to have a keyboard and to sit at the computer, and I am not sure that will change anytime soon.

rz3300, Jul 7, 2016
    hades_leae likes this.
  3. joshposh

vinaya

A laptop and a smart phone cannot be compared, we need both. What we can do on a laptop cannot be done on a smartphone,and what we do on smartphone cannot be done on a laptop.We need smartphone to make calls, to take pictures, to check emails and social media accounts. We need laptop to work online of offline. You can do a lot of things on laptop, from accounting to designing and programing.

vinaya, Jul 8, 2016
    hades_leae likes this.
  4. joshposh

nytegeek

Not a valid comparison or contrast. It;s like asking if prefer a hammer or screwdriver when they are used for very different hings.

nytegeek, Jul 8, 2016
    hades_leae likes this.
  5. joshposh

Vash

You can use a full size keyboard for a cellphone. Use bluetooth keyboard and pair it with your phone, it will work just like a computer. Some people are doing just that for both cellphones and tablets. It is just the matter of time before cellphone will have enough power to meet your basic needs.

Sure, the screen might be on the small side, but what if eventually you can just plug a monitor to the cellphone? Just like now we can plug a laptop to a larger screen or a TV as we wish.

You also need to realize that a lot of people's need for a computer is nothing more than a few basic tasks. Like web browsing, sending email, shopping online, etc. All these simple tasks can indeed be accomplished on a smartphone without a problem.

Not everyone needs the computer for work. So they do not really need computers once something like a cellphone and tablet can do the same basic tasks.

Vash, Jul 8, 2016
  6. joshposh

Corzhens

My sister prefers the smart phone for the laptop. She actually has a notebook that I bought for her (not a gift though but only to avail of the discount in our office) some years ago. But lately, she said that she's not using the notebook anymore because the smart phone is convenient, smaller and more portable. Besides, the smart phone is a phone that she can use for texting and calling. Well, that's her preference. But for me, I still go for the laptop because I have so many applications there like the word processor and spreadsheet that cannot be replaced by the smart phone.

Corzhens, Jul 8, 2016
  7. joshposh

hades_leae

This is so true, there are so many people out there that will make comparisons to things that are so completely different. No phone can replace a laptop, sure responsive views for stuff that you'd rather be doing on a smart phone rather than a laptop on an air plane, or train, like reading emails.

Everything else like graphic design, creating presentations, and much more can only really be best done on a laptop, no phone can top that.

hades_leae, Jul 8, 2016
  8. joshposh

Novelangel

It all depends on your personal usage needs. If you are someone who, like me, spends a lot of time typing on a keyboard... a laptop is essential. One can hardly write long passages such as stories, on the tiny keypad of a phone. If all you do is short messages such as emails or texts, then the phone is the perfect choice for you. It's simply a matter of need.

Novelangel, Jul 10, 2016
  9. joshposh

Fuzyon

A laptop and a smartphone are two very different things, I wouldn't be able to do business and my job (programming) on a smartphone so I wouldn't really give up my computer. Sure, phones have come a long way these past years and you can do a lot of stuff on them, but a laptop is more practical and easier. I can't imagine using the phone keyboard to type everything for example, it would be too annoying for me. :D

Fuzyon, Jul 10, 2016
  10. joshposh

obliviousme

I really think there's no comparison between them. I love my smartphone because it's mobile and very convenient for basic techy needs but it can never do what laptops can. There is no question that Laptops are still more powerful than smartphones.

obliviousme, Jul 11, 2016
  11. joshposh

DecMikashimota

I agree, a smartphone maybe extremely portable, but the screens are too small for certain activities and just imagine trying to text a whole blog on your smartphone. It is way too tedious. I can't say that smartphones will not become just as useful as laptops but we are not quite at that point yet.

DecMikashimota, Jul 11, 2016
  12. joshposh

emmaruthnagano

Smart phones are for doing you habits like social media. Meanwhile, the laptop is for work and academics. So if you ask me, you can't compare the smart phones in laptop because they have different purpose. Try writing an essay while doing some research in your phone and see how hard it is.

emmaruthnagano, Jul 11, 2016
  13. joshposh

acerme2

If I have to choose, a laptop wins hands down because I can do a lot more things with it. I assume that we're comparing smart phones and laptops here because smart phones have features that allow us to access the internet and some apps like laptop does. However, smart phones features are barely scratching the basic capabilities of a laptop. I can have a laptop and a GSM or a non-smart phone and I'd still be fine.

acerme2, Aug 22, 2016
  14. joshposh

djordjem87

It is not even possible to make this comparison. I couldn't do my job on a smart phone. I really need a keyboard and a good look on everything I do. I am doing transcription at the moment so of course that I need a wider screen, faster machine and keyboard of course. Apart for my case, still laptop is better than any smartphone. Sure you can finish some parts of the job but in the end you will have to use a laptop unless your job is all about talking with clients of course.

djordjem87, Aug 22, 2016
  15. joshposh

cluckeyo

Well, I love my laptop, but I am amazed by smartphones. I guess the possibilities are endless. I really need a laptop right now but if smartphones progressed to the point of being able to plug in and keyboard and monitor, then I can see at least giving up the desktop. I still like the way the laptop sits in my lap while I am in my comfy chair. The all-in-one feature makes it pretty unique. But for any serious work, I like to be seated at a desk anyway. So if smartphones were capable of plugging in a monitor and key board, I would probably go for that. I would probably be cheaper.

cluckeyo, Aug 22, 2016
  16. joshposh

111kg

As a beginner in the stock market industry, I can tell you that I could never rely on the graphics I see on my phone, not only because they are a bit different, but also because they don't look...right. Laptops and smartphones are tools that go together, not sepparately, in most of the industries.

Even if you can do all the tasks on your phone, it takes a whole lot more time. Why waste time when laptops are so inexpensive nowadays?

111kg, Aug 29, 2016
  17. joshposh

Elektron

Well, I personally think that both are good, but it all depends on the person. Some people like smartphones because their versatility and portability and some people like using laptops because its comfortability and that kind of stuff, so yes, both are fine.

Elektron, Aug 29, 2016
  18. joshposh

Mrs. Forbes

We do not currently have internet access other than my smartphone, so while I can type and print documents on my laptop, that is about all it is good for to me at the moment. I run a blog, sell on eBay, and conduct other business online completely from my smartphone. It is NOT easy, but it beats paying out more money right now. But it would be nice to be able to just do all these things so much easier on my laptop. Maybe someday!

Mrs. Forbes, Aug 29, 2016
  19. joshposh

vinaya

If you don't do a lot of typing, a smartphone with a large screen (7 inch and above) bigger RAM can be a good choice for you. However, if most of your work requires typing, how would you do your work on a smartphone. There is limitation on what you can do on smartphone. However, on a laptop, you can even make phone calls if you use VOIP service or a WiFi dongle

vinaya, Aug 30, 2016
  20. joshposh

Aree Wongwanlee

It depends on what you do. At one time, I worked without a laptop for a couple of years. All I had were smartphones and tablets. I could do all my internet browsing, of course. I could even do video editing on my Samsung Note 8, without any problems. Typing wasn't a problem at all, with a bluetooth external keyboard. I believe that, in the very near future, smartphones and tablets will be able to overtake laptops in functionality. Also smartphones and tablets are merging into phablets.

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 30, 2016
Ask a Question