Laptop Unable to Shut Down

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by autograph, Feb 18, 2014.

1. autograph

autograph

Hello, I am running Windows 7 Professional on my work laptop and I have been encountering this issue after a clean install. Every time I click shut down, Windows will proceed as usual up to the Shutting Down page. This is where things get weird. Normally after long use, my laptop will be stuck at that page and this could go on for hours until the battery is drained.
    Any help on this issue? Thanks.

autograph, Feb 18, 2014
  2. autograph

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I haven't met that problem in Windows... but a quick 'Google' brought up this site... http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-will-not-shut-down

I guess you will need the second section Windows will not shut down...

Reading that... I'd guess that you have a Driver problem... Windows does NOT install ALL drivers required...
    Control panel > Device Manager will show a Section (e.g. Network) Expanded with yellow Exclamation Marks - IF there are driver problems.

If this is the case - try googling 'Your laptop manufacturer Your EXACT model and the words support Download and Driver'

e.g. for me... Samsung NP-N150 Support Drivers Download results in...
    1. NP-N150 - DOWNLOADS | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG UK
      www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-N150-JA05UK-downloads?...‎
      Driver Downloads Information. OS OS Descending OS Ascending. Version. Description. Release Date Release Date Descending Release Date Ascending.
    You MAY still have to enter the FULL model Number and/or Operating System into a search box on the Manufacturers site. to be taken to the Drivers page...

Hope this helped...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 18, 2014
  3. autograph

autograph

Hi there Brian!
    Thanks for the information you posted. I have actually done my research before and none of the information online are helpful in resolving my situation. Based on your advice, I had checked my devices and all of its drivers are up to date. I am really unsure what I should do now. I may try to reinstall Windows again to check if the issue still persists.

autograph, Feb 19, 2014
  4. autograph

morguk

Have you fully updated Windows yet? When you reinstalled Windows, did you upgrade the machine at all? If so you may of reset the BIOS and there could be a setting causing an issue.

morguk, Feb 20, 2014
  5. autograph

autograph

Hello there morguk. Thanks for replying. After doing a clean install and updating all of my hardware drivers, the issue seems to have go away. I am still not sure what caused the issue last time and I might never have the chance to find out. I just hope that it does not happen again any time in the future.

autograph, Feb 21, 2014
  6. autograph

apexa1

Thanks for sharing the solution. It's so annoying when people find the solution to a problem they had with their computer and don't tell others how they fixed it. So thanks again, I'm sure it will help someone oneday if they're googling!

apexa1, Feb 22, 2014
  7. autograph

babyleans

if you ever run into this problem again you might want to save all your unsaved work and just hold down the power button. as long as everything is saved you won't run into any problems.

babyleans, Apr 5, 2014
  8. autograph

mikelouis

That is new that laptop cannot shut down normally it would be that it can not boot. I have learnt something new today. I will be applying what I have learnt from this thread in future in case I come across such a problem.

mikelouis, Apr 5, 2014
Ask a Question