Laptop suggestions for Business School Freshman

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by aber96crombie, Aug 12, 2015.

1. aber96crombie

aber96crombie

1) What is your budget?
    $1000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    13-15" under 5lbs.

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell,HP and lenovo
    b. Dislike: Toshiba & Acer.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    I basically need a device which I can use for assignments, online browsing HD movies, and light gaming(FIFA)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    A student, so continuously on the move.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Atleast FIFA should work.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    6+ hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    not necessarily. Online is good.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.)
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    1920x1080 atleast.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    dont care.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Worthy of consideration.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4years atleast

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    256GB+, SSD prefered.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    not really.

Note:

In love with the spectre x360 but reports of overheating and fan noise have me considering otherwise. The device is also no more on any best laptop rankings so that shows issues are real.

I would love to have a 2-in-1 if I can find something durable and worthy, otherwise a normal laptop would be the only option.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
    aber96crombie, Aug 12, 2015
  2. aber96crombie

KimmyMarkks

I have the Lenovo yoga and am a big fan of it! It will run you appx $1,000 (try using a coupon or waiting until it goes on sale). The battery life lasts 6+ hours as long as you are not abusing it by constantly leaving it plugged it or running numerous programs at once. I think for a business student you need to stick with an PC. I went to business school and they offered either HPs or Lenovo computers for us. I like the Yoga because it is very light weight and easy to carry in your backpack and to class. I found the HP laptops sleek but a lot heavier. The yoga also has a very fast operating system (I tend to get frustrated when programs take too long to open). Another great feature (although not the reason I got it), is that it can turn into a tablet which I find is great for reading textbooks and papers on the computer.

I purchased mine at best buy and was able to use a 10% off coupon. Good luck!

KimmyMarkks, Nov 5, 2015
  3. aber96crombie

KimmyMarkks

also make sure it comes with windows 10!

KimmyMarkks, Nov 5, 2015
Ask a Question