Laptop screen cover?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by roydominic33, Sep 11, 2015.

1. roydominic33

roydominic33

So I have a laptop which I bought around 9 months ago. Sometimes I could see dust accumulating on the screen surface and I'd have to clean it out periodically. My friend told me that I should buy one of those acetate-like screen sheets to protect my display. Should I do it? My first instinct is not to get one since the screen is only vulnerable once the laptop is open. It's very well-protected whenever I put it in my bag.

roydominic33, Sep 11, 2015
  2. roydominic33

Sefie

I'd not bother to be honest. I've kept my safe and intact this way, without the need to get one of those laptop screen covers. If I were to buy something to protect the laptop... that would be a keyboard cover. Because there is a higher risk you can damage your laptop by spilling something on the keyboard than having some dust accumulating on the screen. The risk is real, I should know, I had to wait a whole month to get a new keyboard.

Sefie, Sep 12, 2015
  3. roydominic33

IcyBC

I haven't thought of buying a screen protector for laptop as it is relative safe, especially if you don't have the touch screen where finger prints would be a big bother. When my screen is dirty, I just clean it up!

My oldest son has a touch screen laptop, and it looks like it could use a screen protector to keep the finger prints and dirt from showing up!

IcyBC, Sep 12, 2015
  4. roydominic33

KimmyMarkks

I think a screen cover is a great idea for many reasons. First it keeps the screen clean. Second, it really helps you eyes especially if you are staring at a screen all day and get headaches. I personally like the privacy screen so when I am on the train working people can't see my personal info.

Screens are a great way to overall protect your laptop. Make sure you measure you laptop diagonally! I made the mistake of measuring it horizontally.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 6, 2015
  5. roydominic33

KimmyMarkks

If you're going to get a screen cover id recommend getting a privacy screen. These prevent people walking past you from seeing what you are doing. They also protect your screen (most styles). So all around it's a great feature!

KimmyMarkks, Nov 16, 2015
  6. roydominic33

shadejb

The only reason I could think of using a screen protector is for glossy screens, i.e. applying a matte screen protector to help you see in direct sunlight. Regarding dust collection, if you use screen protectors then the dust will just gather around the edge of the screen. Your best bet would be to clean your laptop periodically and maybe use a keyboard cover if you're concern about the keyboard pressing onto the screen.

shadejb, Dec 9, 2015
  7. roydominic33

KimmyMarkks

My co-worker actually just suggested a screen protector because it helps with the glare.
    She said she has been getting a lot of headaches lately because of the light on the screen and when she got one it really helped. It makes the screen darker so you aren’t always squinting your eyes.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 9, 2015
  8. roydominic33

shadejb

Anti-glare or matte screen protector will be great if you can't stand the reflection or work a lot in the sunlight. They cost quite a bit for the good quality variant, but there's also the added benefit of finger printing protection. I'm currently using one on my Surface, and it is still perfectly clean after 1 year of abuse from me.

shadejb, Dec 12, 2015
  9. roydominic33

Pablo Diaz

I wouldn't bother with a screen cover for the same reason you said. It is only "vulnerable" when the screen is open ( which is not most of the time.) To be cautious I would have one of those microfiber cloths that people use to clean their eyeglasses so you can use it to clean the dust from your screen without the risk of scratching it. You might also want to have a compressed air can, that way you can spray the borders (where most dust accumulates) and it'll just float away. Anyways, don't bother that much as it wont make any significant damage to your screen or laptop.

Pablo Diaz, Feb 20, 2016
  10. roydominic33

Corzhens

I go with the others here that a screen protector is not that relevant in laptops as in desktops since a laptop is closed when not in use so the screen is somewhat protected from the elements. However, if I have been using my laptop 8 hours a day for office work - leaving it open in the entire duration of my work duty - then I guess a screen protector is imperative. But for my use now, it's not necessary.

Corzhens, Feb 21, 2016
  11. roydominic33

rz3300

I never used to use one of these until the last computer I had got really bad damage on the screen from being outside too long and I learned that it could have been prevented. The guy told me that I would have been able to still use the thing versus having to get a whole new one, which I would have done anyways but it still set me back quite a bit. I bought one of these covers and it really just takes some getting used to but it works great.

rz3300, Feb 21, 2016
  12. roydominic33

djtech

Its not really something that is required. Like you said, the screen is pretty well protected. If you face issues with smudges or dust, just use a clean cloth, and make sure you clean it everyday before you start using your laptop. Other than that, everything else is just a gimmick made to take money out of your pocket.

djtech, Feb 22, 2016
  13. roydominic33

Jonah_JJ

I would also suggest getting a privacy screen or anti-glare rather than just a simple screen protector which isn't quite as necessary. I also agree with above comments - keyboards are far more vulnerable and tend to get gunked up more easily/quicker.

Jonah_JJ, Mar 11, 2016
    djtech likes this.
  14. roydominic33

djtech

I agree, you should get an anti-glare screen instead. It'll protect your eyes and make working on your system even more comfortable. Now that I think about it, I am going to get one too. I haven't used one since I left my ft job where the company made its coders use anti-glare screens (how dare they care about my eyes :p ) but I think its a great idea.

djtech, Mar 12, 2016
  15. roydominic33

obliviousme

I personally don't see the need of a laptop screen protector since one can just easily wipe the screen when the dusts started showing it's presence, and having a screen protector doesn't exactly stop the dust from coming in so you'll have to wipe it anyway. I don't think the screen is that vulnerable of dusts, i'd like to think the developers created an anti dusts protectors somewhere in the system to avoid it from internally damaging the screen.:p

obliviousme, Apr 30, 2016
Ask a Question