Laptop performs better while charging

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by gyakenji, Sep 13, 2016.

1. gyakenji

gyakenji

I noticed that the moment I plug in my laptop, it performs way better all of a sudden. For example, on battery, a game would run at a low FPS and quite unplayable even in the lowest settings. Then, once it's charging, the FPS becomes really smooth, I can even increase the settings and it would work nicely.

I'm pretty sure the laptop has a setting which changes performance while on battery or charging. My question is, how can I change this? I tweaked the power options around, even making my own Maximum Performance, but still the laptop cannot function as well as it would if it was charging. Maybe there's another setting for this, like the graphics card settings (Mine is Nvidia 820M)?

Thanks!

gyakenji, Sep 13, 2016
  2. gyakenji

something back

There's some minor tweaking that could be done,however
    this may or may not help.

First there could be a motherboard setting allowing you to run the cpu
    in turbo mode,this is not available on all laptops

The other tweak is to go in to the power settings in the control panel.

Go to “balanced” ,click “change plan setting”,then change “advanced power settings”,

Alter the “balanced active” to high performance. Then scroll down each section
    to see if they are the settings you require.

Not sure about Nvidia 820M tweaking

something back, Sep 13, 2016
  3. gyakenji

rz3300

Well I cannot say that I know the science behind it or anything, but I guess it makes sense when you think about it. Less usage from the battery might me a faster computer overall, but who really knows. I would say that it might be indicative of a problem, but then again you might just have found a little quirk, and so just take advantage of it.

rz3300, Sep 15, 2016
  4. gyakenji

Elektron

It doesnt work better, the deal is that you probably have the energy saving feature enabled and it only works whilst your laptop isn't connected to the charger or whatever you may use to charge the battery, that's why you're noticing of aconsiderable change with the laptop's performance whilst it's connected. That's my opinion, though.

Elektron, Sep 15, 2016
  5. gyakenji

gyakenji

Yeah the problem is I tried to disable this energy saving feature in battery mode, so that my laptop can run as if it was charging, when it is on battery. Plan settings barely change a thing.

Well, I guess I'll just charge my laptop if I need it for high performance stuff.

gyakenji, Sep 18, 2016
  6. gyakenji

djtech

There are various settings you can tweak. Go to power options and play around with detailed settings for better performance. Also, if you're all for games, download the Razor tool for tweaking graphics. I believe its called Razor Synapse, but I could be wrong. Its definitely a Razor software and its free. This software will tweak everything and you can switch it on when you need to play a game (sort of like turning on game mode for your whole system) and then change those configurations back for other stuff.

djtech, Sep 21, 2016
  7. gyakenji

Corzhens

Gee, I am surprised by this thread that power affects the speed of the computer. Pardon me but I don't see a computer like a toy car that slows down when the battery is weak. A computer runs on a required voltage and wattage and it is not supposed to operate when the required electric current is not met. But for a weak battery to make a computer run slow, I don't think there is a logic in that. No offense meant to this thread, I'm just voicing my honest opinion on the matter.

Corzhens, Sep 21, 2016
  8. gyakenji

rz3300

I kind of seems like the change is almost so small, that if you really want to notice a little difference, go ahead and think that something is there, and if you want to think that it does not make a difference at all, write if off as not much and you are good. It that sense, I guess it is a win win for everyone, and we are all right.

rz3300, Sep 21, 2016
  9. gyakenji

Elektron

You're absolutely right, indeed. Probably the charger is not sending the right amounts of energy it has to and that's why the whole thing is not working properly.

Elektron, Sep 23, 2016
  10. gyakenji

djtech

I have always hated the power saver options. I have always loved performance over power-saving. Do whatever it takes to increase it on your system. I have already mentioned that there are software that can help you do that. I would also use a benchmarking software to measure the difference in performance when you're charging and on regular mode, and when you're on the power saving mode.

djtech, Sep 25, 2016
  11. gyakenji

Elektron

That's understandable, but take into account that your battery will not last too long if you do so.

Elektron, Oct 14, 2016
Ask a Question