Laptop or tablet?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Livvy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Livvy

Krissttina Isobe

It's goo to know and reading your posts has been a learning experience. I too wonder about laptops and tabs which is better. I grew up with typewriters so I love the keyboard and learning a few more functions isn't all that hard. I like laptops and am accustomed to it as well as desktops. I see many people using tablets and ipads on the bus. Guess like the Apple store and Walmart there are some you can see and use to see what fits. I often go to Office Depot and check things out when window shopping.:D

Krissttina Isobe, Jan 18, 2016
  2. Livvy

sharatharadhya

I still prefer full Laptops as mobile workstations. Tablets have caught up a lot since last year, but the fact that laptops have more area to dissipate heat can make space for a discrete graphics card and can be easily configurable and upgradeable. Laptops can have a lot more power in them. For someone like me attached to an Apple Ecosystem, I have no choice, but to stick with a laptop, as iPad Pro runs on iOS not OSX.

sharatharadhya, Feb 2, 2016
  3. Livvy

Andorphin

I prefer laptop all the way. I already have a useful phone that operates at amazing speeds and does a great job browsing & socializing. I personally don't own a tablet but I don't feel the need to have one either. My Nexus 5 does a great job. Mom has a tablet and I don't like it that much. It's pretty slow in UI even though has a relatively large screen. However, my laptop's screen is much larger.

Andorphin, Feb 3, 2016
  4. Livvy

vinaya

tablets and laptop have different functions. However, it is true that most of the work done on a tablet can also be done on a laptop. I don't have a tablet and I am thinking to get a samsung tablet. If I have just on option to choose, I will go with laptop.

vinaya, Feb 9, 2016
  5. Livvy

Kelsey

I guess it would just depend on what you're using it for. Personally, I would go with a laptop simply because you can't go wrong with one. I feel like laptop are more efficient with everything you are wanting to use it for.
    I understand they are coming out with pretty impressive tablets though, that are fast and reliable. Even with that being said, for my life, I would still choose a laptop.

Kelsey, Mar 9, 2016
  6. Livvy

Corzhens

I am using a laptop for work as my official computer. At home, we have a desktop and my husband was hinting of a laptop for the portability. When there was a sale of tablets, I bought one for my husband. After testing and learning the ropes, he said the tablet is just a big smart phone - he is right on that - and it is not similar to the laptop. First is the word processor which is a different animal and to consider the virtual keyboard, he hated that. With the storage, he gets confused. I admit that a tablet is far from being a laptop and laptop users will not be satisfied. On the other hand, smart phone users will have a heyday with the tablet, a bigger screen and a better camera.

Corzhens, Mar 10, 2016
  7. Livvy

roger1003

I would choose a laptop. It's very hard to type in a tablet because there's no keyboard. Everything a tablet can do can also be performed by a laptop, but not everything a laptop can do can be performed by a tablet. For me, tablets are just for entertainment purposes, like watching movies and videos, browsing facebook, etc. For work purposes, you will have a difficulty with a tablet.

roger1003, Mar 18, 2016
  8. Livvy

CasualGoofy

I am on laptop-forums after all. In an almost cheating answer, I would say laptop. Reason being, if I can afford it, I have option to buy an ultrabook. A light weight ultrabook would be portable like a tablet, but still is a full feature laptop (despite lack of optical disk drive on most).

CasualGoofy, Mar 19, 2016
  9. Livvy

vinaya

laptop is laptop and tablet is tablet. You can do everything on your laptop which you do on your tablet. However, on tablet you cannot do what you do on your laptop.tablet is just for reading books, surfing net and playing games. laptop is more than than.

vinaya, Mar 19, 2016
  10. Livvy

acer93

I had both of them, and sadly tablets weren't for me. I tried to use it while traveling but the screen was to shiny, and the holding inconvenient. I am the laptop kind of gal - portable but enough power for serious stuff.

acer93, Mar 20, 2016
  11. Livvy

hafiz93

Laptop is much more easier for me to use with more functionality. Even though tablet is a much more portable device to use, I'll go with laptop anytime.

hafiz93, Mar 20, 2016
  12. Livvy

oraclemay

Since reading this thread I am convinced that a smaller, lighter laptop is certainly the best way to go. Not having used a tablet, I was wondering whether it would suit me as I sometimes even type on my blackberry. I do a lot of typing, so it is the gadget that will help me the most with this. It seems the laptop wins hands down!

oraclemay, Mar 20, 2016
  13. Livvy

kimmy178

I would definitely choose a laptop over a tablet. At home, I have both a tablet and laptop but the laptop is just so much easier to use. A laptop has a bigger screen with a convenient mouse-pad and keyboard so why would you go for the tablet? The one thing better about a tablet would probably be the smaller size since it'll be more convenient to carry around, but it doesn't matter if you're not planning on taking it anywhere outside. For a tablet, you're doing everything on one screen. It might not sound like much but it's more difficult trying to do things like typing up a document or going on a spreadsheet on a tablet than if you just did it on the laptop.

kimmy178, Jul 13, 2016
  14. Livvy

cecejailer

Laptops, of course. I honestly hate tablets (or the tablets we have so far, at least.) iPad is the best one and even that feels a bit weird in my hands. I think that if I had a tablet I would probably break it in the first week of use, it feels really slippery. I wouldn't trade anything for my laptop, specially because it is a tablet by itself. Two-in-one (is that what it's called?) laptops are the best thing to happen to the world.

cecejailer, Jul 13, 2016
  15. Livvy

rootle

If I absolutely had to pick one, I'd go for the laptop. It offers more or less all the features of a tablet but it's definitely more powerful and you can play proper games on it as well as do work. I would definitely miss tablets though, they're great for using when you get home and just want to lie down and watch youtube or something.

rootle, Jul 16, 2016
  16. Livvy

cluckeyo

A laptop, absolutely!! There is no comparison. I have an ipad which I barely use. My laptop I use many times a day. A laptop has a whole lot more things you can do with it.Like add full, working programs, which are not the same as apps on the ipad. I can build my website on this laptop, and load it, manage it, edit the photos... You can't begin to do that on a tablet.

cluckeyo, Jul 16, 2016
  17. Livvy

obliviousme

I'd choose Laptops over tablets any day. I really think tablets are just oversized phones, like there's nothing special that a tablet alone can do aside from being the better choice in mobile gaming app i guess.

obliviousme, Jul 16, 2016
  18. Livvy

Kavon

I would always choose a laptop. Don't get me wrong, tablets are also useful. But, what makes the laptop really convenient is the keyboard. Yes, tablets have on-screen keyboards, but it's not the same thing. Laptops are just more customizable and have more features.

A tablet is only better if you only want to read some books, or watch some videos.

Kavon, Jul 16, 2016
  19. Livvy

acerme2

I have both laptop and tablet but I am of course partial to my laptop because I can do most everything with it. In fact, I hardly use the tablet and I do so only to read downloaded books from Google Play. Laptop also allows me to multi task and work faster and thus earn more.

acerme2, Aug 22, 2016
  20. Livvy

djordjem87

This question would be if we assume that I already do not have any kind of computer device in my possession. In that case I would go for laptop. It will never be possible for a tablet to perform like laptop and especially if you have a job that requires typing. I like those medium small laptops that can perform well and if I could choose the best it wouldn't be a problem obviously but still I would like to have one of those light ones.

djordjem87, Aug 29, 2016
Ask a Question