Laptop or tablet?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Livvy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Livvy

Livvy

So, assuming you got to pick the best of both markets, which would you prefer to be using, a top of the range laptop or a top of the range tablet?

Oh, and no you cannot choose a tablet/laptop hybrid!

Livvy, Jul 22, 2014
  2. Livvy

Ian Administrator

I'd probably go for a Surface Pro 3 :D, but perhaps that counts as a hybrid as I'd use the keyboard case ;).

Ian, Jul 24, 2014
  3. Livvy

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I think one ought to think instead... CAN a Tablet do the same jobs as easily as a Laptop...

One Major problem has been that Office type programs like Word Processing or Spreadsheets have NOT been as Intuitive or as easy to manipulate as on a Laptop.

Think of 'Typing' for instance... a Mobile Phone is 'relatively' easy to use when texting (even using FULL Words) but holding a Tablet and Texting is nowhere as easy... one fingering can not be as fast as two (or more) fingers - like when using a Keyboard...

I believe that MS are in the process of allowing a 'Word' type Office Suite to be modified for Tablets other than Windows Tablets... so things MAY change in the future, except the problems with two finger typing...

Others may disagree entirely...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jul 25, 2014
  4. Livvy

superbobby

I would go with Laptop. Tablets are overrated in my opinion.

superbobby, Jun 2, 2015
  5. Livvy

HornedDemoN

Laptops are far superior in terms of capabilities, no doubt. But it all depends on your concrete needs. However, generally speaking, a laptop is more flexible, more customizable, you pretty much do anything on it, while a tablet has a lot of limitations that are beyond your control or are hard to manipulate to fit your needs.

HornedDemoN, Jun 2, 2015
  6. Livvy

Lun

I'd pick a laptop over a tablet any day. That doesn't mean tablets don't have their uses though. I mostly use my iPad for reading and studying because it's easier to carry around and the screen isn't as straining on my eyes as the laptop's is. However, a laptop has far superior capabilities which is why I like using them more. It's easier for typing, word processing, presentations, etc... and if you were to buy a laptop with top specs there's no way you can find a tablet to replace it.

Lun, Jun 3, 2015
  7. Livvy

Connie858

I have the best of both. A laptop and top end tablet. And I am on the laptop right now for a very good reason.

Tablets are fine for reading material and short input of typing. The predictive text makes it easier but it is still not great and you do have to look at each and every single word after you have entered them on the keyboard.
    I can touch type on a laptop. Yes I could get a Bluetooth keyboard for the tablet, and I may consider it one day, but why? Surely that defeats the point. OK the tablet can have a SIM card, so can my laptop. Both can act as a phone if I want them to, but when it comes down to it, the core functionality is a laptop. There is nothing that can process the RAW files from my cameras in the way of software for my tablet. Text input is limited and even on the best of screen the colours are oversaturated on a tablet.

My tablet was purchased for a reason, I have problems lifting anything more than around 1/2kg due to a really bad back (and it is not going to be a quick fix). The laptop was simply too heavy for me. I now have a table that wraps around a special chair and I have the choice between the laptop and the tablet and unsurprisingly the laptop wins each and every time I get the choice of where I am.

Connie858, Jun 4, 2015
  8. Livvy

LilAnn

I think I would rather have a laptop. It's extremely easy to crack your screen since the entire one side is the screen.

LilAnn, Jun 5, 2015
  9. Livvy

IcyBC

I would go for a laptop since I like to be able to read, see, and have a keyboard. Tablet for me is good as entertaining such as watching a television show. The screen of a full size tablet is still too small for me to deal with aging eyes :)

IcyBC, Jul 24, 2015
  10. Livvy

jamesbonner

I would go for laptop for sure, as I work a coder, tablet is nothing for me,
    tablet is good for small tasks like surfing, chatting etc... but if you are a coder you'll definitely needs a laptop, personally, I would like to buy a Macbook or something like that :)

jamesbonner, Jul 25, 2015
  11. Livvy

GearZ

I use both depending on where I am and what I'm doing. The tablet is a Nexus 7 running Android, while the notebook is a MacBook Air running Mac OS and Windows 7 via Boot Camp. All things being equal, I prefer a thin notebook to a tablet. I'm so used to an actual keyboard, I tend to favor said.

GearZ, Jul 29, 2015
  12. Livvy

Snakevenom

Top of the range laptop, you'll get more out of it for the price. You can do significantly better with performance when talking in terms of laptops and tablets aren't that much more portable if you have a decent laptop case and we're talking top of the range so you could get a crazy thin laptop which may be actually lighter if you have a ton of money. Tablets just simply doesn't have the feature set to beat a laptop currently, maybe someday.

Snakevenom, Aug 16, 2015
  13. Livvy

Diane Lane

For me, it would depend on what I'd be using it for. If I already had a smart phone and desktop computer, and didn't do much heavy work on the go, I'd choose the tablet. If I were going to be running a business from it, or doing a lot of work at home, that would probably require a laptop. If the use would be mainly entertainment, checking email/social media, a tablet should suffice.

Diane Lane, Aug 21, 2015
  14. Livvy

Sefie

Laptop! I use my laptop for work, I'd never be able to do the things I do with ease on a tablet. I don't like the touch screen, I am actually used to feel the keys of the laptop against my fingers :p I feel more confident in what I am writing and I make less spelling mistakes. Plus the screen is perfect for almost everything, at leas for home house, but I think a tablet would be idea for when you are out and want to go wireless.

Sefie, Sep 10, 2015
  15. Livvy

Sefie

@Lun You are so right! I actually like to use tablets when I am outside, because they take a lot less room that laptops (laptops can look so bulky when you are sitting at some public place). They are ideal to me only when looking to have a good time, like playing games while waiting at the doctor's office and so on :) But for something serious the laptop is ideal. I'd never switch my laptop over a tablet, ever...!

Sefie, Sep 10, 2015
  16. Livvy

thess

I'll just stick with my laptop! I love laptops. I think the tablets are overrated too and I don't need one when I can just have an easily accessible laptop in front of me or on my lap. I like the size of them too.

thess, Oct 3, 2015
  17. Livvy

cheryllei9h

I would go with laptop. Mine does both but I use the laptop more. Has always just been easier for me.

cheryllei9h, Oct 23, 2015
  18. Livvy

sparkster

I would have to go for a top of the range laptop, rather than a tablet. Tablets are good but they are just not functional enough to do what I need to do which for me, is pretty much work. As a writer, tablets are no good for typing out long articles or books. They are also too inefficient in many other ways. There are still compatibility issues with them and certain things don't always work as intended.

sparkster, Oct 24, 2015
  19. Livvy

KimmyMarkks

I agree. I think overall a laptop can be used for both work and pleasure. Tablets are very hard to type on or run professional programs. I have the surface which they compare to a laptop and I have to saw I only use it to play games or watch videos. I use my laptop for everything else.

If you have to choose I would definitely go with a laptop. You will get more for your money and will have the ability to do more things on it then just play around!

KimmyMarkks, Nov 6, 2015
  20. Livvy

KimmyMarkks

If you are still very torn on whether to get a tablet or laptop check out the new surface. I have an older model which I'm not a huge fan of, but they newer ones run faster and have a lot more similarities to laptops. My older version runs off apps so I find it hard to use it for work. I'd always recommend playing around with it before you buy it. However out of all the tables I think that is most similar to a laptop.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 6, 2015
Ask a Question