Laptop giving black screen, but wont load up?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by ashley0323, Aug 13, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323

I have an old HP laptop that has been put away for awhile now. I dug it out to play around on it and it has a full battery. It will turn on, go to windows loading page, then directly to a blank black screen. It will not load away from that. Any ideas on what may be going on? Thanks!

ashley0323, Aug 13, 2016
  2. ashley0323

fcuco

Try to boot into Windows Safe mode, press and hold the F8 immediately after the computer boots to enter it, please report back if you are actually able to enter windows. If you are able to see the windows loading page this sounds like a software and not a hardware problem (as it clearly fails starting windows but your monitor is working, and probably your hard drive too). Try without the battery if the computer was not used for a while, try an external monitor just in case. You can also try to boot from a live CD of some Linux distribution just to see that the machine boots, you may even have access to your old files this way if windows died on you.

fcuco, Aug 13, 2016
  3. ashley0323

hades_leae

This happened to me some months back. I had no choice but to leave it alone. I turned it on one day and the load screen would come up, and then the screen would dim to the darkest level. I couldn't move the mouse or anything.

I didn't take it to any shops, I just left it alone for one week, but kept restarting it before I realized that something was wrong with it. After that week passed, it kept acting up, like the login screen would come up,I'd login, and it would literally take like 5 minutes for the desktop to load. I had small problems like that, but it started working fine after a while.

I wonder it the temperature had something to do with it. My laptop was in very cold temperatures for sometime when I started using it again.

hades_leae, Aug 13, 2016
  4. ashley0323

Corzhens

My suspicion is a corrupted OS. If you have the installer for the OS, maybe you can spend time in re-installing. That black screen is the prelude to the start of running the OS so when the black screen remains and no development is seen anymore that means the OS was not started properly. Our home desktop is very slow in booting and sometimes we are scared that the blank screen will stay and we would heave a sigh of relief when the OS starts running.

Corzhens, Aug 15, 2016
  5. ashley0323

acerme2

I've had the same experience with my laptop. The first time it happened, I panicked and restarted the laptop through the power button. The OS still failed to load that time. I pressed the power button again but I got the same result. I left it alone for a few hours. The next time I started the laptop and the black screen showed up, I decided to wait that time. After a few minutes, the login screen appeared and I was able to use my laptop.

acerme2, Aug 15, 2016
  6. ashley0323

rz3300

Well I hate to hear about other people who are experiencing something like this, because I am pretty sure that this is what has happened every time before the machine goes completely bad and I end up having the shell out money for a new one. Thankfully it has really not been all that often, but it does seem to happen at the most inopportune time. Just my luck, I guess. Best of luck to you in your situation.

rz3300, Aug 15, 2016
  7. ashley0323

ashley0323

I had my fiance take a look at it. The hard drive was coming undone and wasnt fully in there.. He got it going again, and the next day it turned back off. We had something corrupt with windows OS, so we re-did that.. WHEW! Finally, it works with no issues!

ashley0323, Aug 16, 2016
  8. ashley0323

Elektron

Well, buddy, seems like you're having the same issue I used to have back then when I had Windows Vista installed on my PC, it was a total mess, sometimes I just had to disconnect and connect the PC back in order to make it boot, I really got tired of this issue and formatted the PC right away, it was a kind of hard disk problem according to my technician, I reinstalled Windows 7 and everything kept running fine until now, you probably should try the same and see what happens, good luck.

Elektron, Aug 16, 2016
Ask a Question