Laptop for Virtualization and Programming

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by arnabux, Jan 3, 2017.

1. arnabux

arnabux

Hello all. I'm from India and new to this forum. I'm planning to buy a new laptop for Virtualization and Programming and some video editing. My current system is a thinkpad E440( i5 4210m, 8GB ddr3l, 500GB). But after installing 2/3 VMs or after opening more than 5/6 tabs on Mozilla Firefox it shows little bit of lagging. Also my pc runs 6/7 hours every day. So I want to upgrade from this pc to a new one. I have gone through some pcs from Lenovo Dell and HP all of them has almost same specifications like i7 6500U or i7 7500U. Now my question is that how it'll be the performance of a U series cpu for Virtualization or editing? Can anyone recommend me some good models? Budget is around $1000. Thanks in advance

arnabux, Jan 3, 2017
  2. arnabux

sandu

Look for VMs, you would need a higher RAM, but the Core i7 U processor would do fine.

I am telling this from experience. I had a friend who got the ASUS ROG last year with Core i7-6700HQ and 16 GB of RAM. He would 4 VMs. We monitored and realized that there was still a lot of juice left from the processor, but the RAM was being entirely used.

With that said, I would recommend this laptop:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-i7-6700HQ-GeForce-80RU00N3US/dp/B01LNOECEQ/

<1,000, 16 GB RAM, Core i7 6700HQ processor.

I dont think you should have any issues with U series processors either. But I would recommend getting the HQ processor.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2017
    sandu, Feb 24, 2017
  3. arnabux

Claudio

If you want to run multiple virtual machines, you need huge RAM. I run two vms together with 12GB RAM. You can take a here for details.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2017
    Claudio, Oct 28, 2017
  4. arnabux

Kojack

Buy a notebook with upgradeable ram. Then MAX it out. I have 16gb in mine. I think im going to upgrade mine to 32gb.

Kojack, Nov 6, 2017
Ask a Question