Laptop for video editing?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Lance, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Lance

Lance

Hey everybody, completely clueless about what to buy here. I'll try to lay this out and maybe somebody with some experience can give me some good advice. I'm looking for a new laptop to take with me traveling. I shoot video with Mavic and Gopro. I edit these and am about to start uploading on a new youtube channel. So most of the time the laptop is travelling and most of my work is editing and watching videos. I'm assuming because of this I need:

-Solid state drive (because I have so many videos on it at a time to sort through)

-A rediculous amount of storage space? (again, a months worth of videos stacking up until I get to edit them and move them back out afterwards)

-It needs to be able to play video that was shot in 4K (I dont care if the screen is 1080P, as long as it can play the imported 4K video and then export it at 4K for the TV)

-Probably around a 15.6" (big enough to work on, but fits in my backpack sleeve)

I found an Asus at Best Buy:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2...-matte-black-aluminum/5722614.p?skuId=5722614

Opinions? But as I mentioned, the 4K screen is not necessary, AS LONG AS the laptop can play a video on my editor that was shot in 4K, and then export it still being 4K. Doesnt have to be seen in 4K as i edit it. Maybe one similar to this but without the 4K screen and save some money? Is there a laptop that has what I need that you would suggest? I would prefer to stay under $1400. Open to brands and suggestions

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Lance, Nov 26, 2017
  2. Lance

Kojack

Ok, SSD and ridiculous amount of storage does not go hand in hand for cheap.

I can recommend a dell 13 5000 like mine. I swapped out the 500gb hard drive to a 2 tb SSHD Seagate FIRECUDA. I also swapped out the 4gb ram for 16gb of balistix ram. This made a huge diffrerence to my system. I paid 579 CDN for my computer, 119 for the 2tb drive (LOTS OF STORAGE THERE), and 109 for the 16gb ram kit.

The bonus is that I got the 2 in 1 for editing photos etc with touch....load on MEMU and you have an android tablet built in then. I also added a 24" dell touchscreen infinity edge monitor which I picked up for 319 on sale at dell. So right now, I have a quasi surface setup. my notebook is like a surface book without detach, and at home I have a surface studio type setup. It's not the fastest computer on the block, but it gets the job done great. If you want get really small for travelling you can get a dell 3000 2 in 1 like my wifes 11" model, pop the same firecuda drive in, and have a sweet compact travel device. The only caveat I have there is you cannot upgrade the ram. You are stuck with 4 gb which will slow you down when editing. Other than that...good to go! check em out. I really like them.

I would steer clear of asus for anything really. I had problems with EVERY asus product I have owned. ACER and Dell have been ROCK solid for me. Oh...and Microsoft. My two surface 3s were solid too!

Kojack, Nov 28, 2017
  3. Lance

Lance

Great, thanks for the response! I actually never had a Dell and dont know anything about them, but it sounds like its what i need to be checking into, especially with all the modifications that are available that you mentioned.

Lance, Nov 29, 2017
  4. Lance

Kojack

Yes. It's a very budget friendly setup. I am typing on it now. It also has Microsoft precision touch pad to so you get alot of extra control and features through the touchpad as well. The upgrades I have done can be done by anyone with a screwdriver and patience. Nothing difficult. Having a 2 in 1 system is a great bonus to since when travelling you can switch it to tent to watch movies on planes, trains etc and still have space for yourself becacuse the keyboard is not in the way.

Kojack, Nov 29, 2017
  5. Lance

sidney-wvr

Nice insights. I was always asked to get Mac because of Final Cut Pro software.

sidney-wvr, Dec 20, 2017
Ask a Question