Laptop better than PC..?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by laptop100, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laptop100

laptop100

Laptop Computer:

A laptop computer (also called notebook computer) is a computer that integrates all the elements that needs to run properly, including a battery power supply, a screen and a keyboard, in a small casing....

Why a Laptop better than PC....?

The main advantage of a laptop computer versus a desktop computer is its mobility as well as its reduced size. On the other hand, the price is generally higher for slightly less impressive performance and the laptop's hardware configuration is much less adaptable, even though it is possible to connect additional external peripherals thanks to its numerous I/O ports. Therefore, the motivation for buying a laptop computer must above all be a need for mobility or a need to save space.
    Moreover, with the emergence of wireless networks, and WiFi in particular, it is becoming very easy to connect to the Internet in public Hot-Spots or simply in any room of your home as long as it is equipped with a WiFi terminal. For advanced multimedia uses (e.g. digital video manipulation, connecting a digital camera or an mp3 player, etc.), the choice should fall on both the computer's performance (both graphic as well as computing power) and on the types and number of I/O ports that are available.

laptop100, Apr 15, 2009
  2. laptop100

jackluo923

First of all.. the title should be changed. It doesn't make sense since Laptop is a PC thus you can't say Laptop is better than a PC.

jackluo923, Apr 16, 2009
  3. laptop100

Biostem

OP: I'm not really sure what you're trying to say, that isn't already obvious to any educated computer user. Of course a laptop is going to be more mobile than a desktop - that's the entire point. Of course most laptops nowadays are going to have wi-fi built in - it defeats the purpose of mobility to only have a port for a wired connection.

The only real factors when it comes to laptops vs desktops are price, life expectancy, and performance. Generally speaking, a desktop is going to have much better performance than a laptop, the only exception being where you compare an ultra high end laptop vs a less expensive desktop. Along the same lines, that desktop is going to cost less and you are going to get better specs than on a comparably priced laptop. Lastly, a desktop can virtually be upgraded forever; assuming you are willing to go so far as to completely gut the case as time goes on. The same cannot be said of laptops, which can generally only accept more RAM and/or have their HDD swapped out. You pretty much can't upgrade the screen, processor, sound card, or video card on a laptop. Yes, I know there are a few exceptions out there, but that's it.

If you're going to buy a computer to set up at a desk and leave there, buy a desktop. If you are going to be on the go, then a laptop is the obvious choice. Since this is a netbook forum, I am going to assume that you are looking for something less expensive than a high end laptop, and more portable. In that regard, a netbook is an excellent choice. Just don't expect to be playing Crysis on your Aspire One.

As a last note, since I brought up gaming, my little Aspire One has served as a nice little reminder of those great games form a few years ago; Max Payne, Warcraft 3, Fallout 1, N.O.L.F., Quake 2, etc.

Biostem, Apr 16, 2009
  4. laptop100

rory

this is just a waste of space and should be in off topic if anywhere at all.

rory, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question