lagging music and video playback

Discussion in 'Windows' started by sonofamitch, Apr 7, 2009.

1. sonofamitch

sonofamitch

this is my first time making a post on here.

ive had an aspire one since december and loved the thing. but recently on a trip to florida it was off for a while, upon turning it back on i experienced slower boot times, and lagging in all video and audio playback. ive done various virus scans and ran a few utilities to speed it up. however to no avail. im fairly computer literate but i cant figure out for the world of me why this would be happening. i have alot of video from the trip that i would like to do light editing to and burn to a dvd, but cannot do so until getting this problem solved.

any help at all is appreciated.

sonofamitch, Apr 7, 2009
  2. sonofamitch

TechMark

i know the exact way to fix this.

right click on my computer, and go to properties. select hardware and then select device manager. click the + next to IDE controllers. Right click primary IDE channel and select uninstall. You will be asked to reboot. Reboot and the system will reinstall this for you. Reboot again and it should all be working. I've had to do this about 10 times on my machines so far.

TechMark, Apr 8, 2009
  3. sonofamitch

sonofamitch

thanks man, worked like a charm.

sonofamitch, Apr 10, 2009
  4. sonofamitch

GvidoR

There was the same problem with my brothers girlfriends Aspire One and this worked, thanks!
    I wonder what causes this to happen? A virus or what, because it has never happened to me.

GvidoR, Apr 10, 2009
  5. sonofamitch

goofball

Windows will try to initialize DMA mode on the controller. When it can't do this (it tries multiple times), it falls back to PIO mode, which along with slower speed, also increases the CPU usage immensely.

goofball, Apr 11, 2009
  6. sonofamitch

ohthatsgood

this fix worked for me! thank you! i don't totally understand your explanation, though. is there a way to prevent this?

ohthatsgood, Apr 29, 2009
  7. sonofamitch

TechMark

I'm not sure how to prevent it from occuring, but none of my machines have had this problem reoccur (yet?)

TechMark, May 4, 2009
  8. sonofamitch

Paisley Pirate

Mine just did it a couple days ago.. I've been going through all kinds of things to get it to speed up. Did this, and solved it in about 4 minutes!

Think I'd remember to check here when my AAO is acting up... I will remember...

Paisley Pirate, May 13, 2009
  9. sonofamitch

Erifder

I know this is an extremely old forum post, but I thought I'd bump it because I started having this exact same problem starting about a few months ago.

I purchased my Acer back in December, and throughout this year I've managed to set it up exactly the way I wanted to (complete with triple booting). When I found my Windows partition was starting to slow down, I figured it was due to some programs I had on there, and proceeded to uninstall them. Regardless of anything I got rid of, the processing speed was going haywire, watching or listening to anything was absolutely IMPOSSIBLE, and I could prepare a steak before it was fully booted to do anything with it.

So I headed back to these forums to see if people were having the same problems I was. After a few days of searching, I ran into this one and though it was a few months old, it was describing the exact problems my acer were experiencing. I was reluctant at first, because the fix seemed TOO easy, but I decided to try it anyway.

This fix, literally fixed all of those problems.

Thank goodness, too. I came unbearably close to attempting to reinstall Windows on this thing. Now I won't need to. Yay.

Erifder, Sep 8, 2009
  10. sonofamitch

TechMark

Glad this worked for you :mrgreen:

TechMark, Sep 10, 2009
  11. sonofamitch

AccountSaver

It's been 3 days now,that i am formating my AOD250 ,i install every new audio driver that i found, i even formated to home edition to professional edition , i even tried to upgrade the ram , and nothing happened.

And i was searching around the internet and i pumped into your thread and answer.

i tried it with no success :( 2 times in a row.

Any new suggestion ?

AccountSaver, Dec 11, 2015
  12. sonofamitch

Nestone50

What is your OS? I'm assuming Windows 7? I have this little netbook and have installed Windows 10. Regardless, you must remember these little netbooks only have a single core Atom CPU. First thing to do is to get into Start Up (Enter msconfig at "Start" + Search box and uncheck those programs under the "Start Up" tab that don't need to start when you boot your computer. Things like iTunes, for example. You might also consider getting a 2 gig SD card and place it in the slot on the side of the netbook, format and then dedicate to "Ready Boost." This will free up memory and the computer accessing the HD for virtual memory. I guessing you have 2 gigs of ram installed already?
    Depending on your internet speed, you should be able to watch You Tube videos or Netflix movies without stutter. However, you can't multi-task or have programs running in the background. Do a virus and malware scan to be sure no one is stealing your CPU cycles.

Nestone50, Dec 11, 2015
Ask a Question