Lack of free space on hard drive.

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Calum, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Calum

Calum

Firstly, let me say that I am very inept when it comes to understanding computers and how they do what they do. I am able to perform the basic tasks and I have got along fine but, recently I have noticed that I have only got about 90Gb free space left out of my 250Gb hard drive. I have taken all the photos and music, and anything else that I can, off the computer to hopefully make a difference, but something is taking up 130Gb!!! Please would someone tell how I go about finding out what all that stuff is.
    Thank you.

Calum, Sep 23, 2013
  2. Calum

Ian Administrator

Is there a reason you want to free up space? 90GB is quite a lot of free space - it's there to be used :). You'll only notice performance problems when you get to VERY low free disk space - perhaps a few GB or less. If you're trying to improve the performance, then there are other things we can advise.

You can use something like Space Sniffer to find out where your disk space has gone: http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/index.html

Ian, Sep 24, 2013
  3. Calum

Anna935

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    Anna935, Nov 30, 2013
  4. Calum

Calum

Hi Ian, Thanks for that. I will check that out. I have got rid of some unwanted and old files which has made a big difference.

Calum, Nov 30, 2013
  5. Calum

Leo123

Go through the 642-999 dumps design tutorial and IFPUG guide to learnuseful web design skills.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Leo123, Jan 15, 2014
  6. Calum

OhioTom76

There is also a program called "TreeSize Free" that will help you find out what is taking up some much space. I would guess possibly movies, if you've got other people using the computer as well. Do you have any applications that are backing up your hard drive in the background? Perhaps something is creating backup images on your drive.

You could also look under System Restore and delete any restore points you don't need - as well limit how much space it is allowed to use.

It's also very likely that part of your drive is partitioned off to include a backup copy of Windows. That alone can easily take up about 25GB, depending on your computer manufacturer. The partition itself might be hidden, but there are programs that can unhide it for you - just be careful though because you don't want to wipe out your backup.

OhioTom76, Feb 27, 2014
  7. Calum

Sefie

Have you tried running disk clean up? Analyze disk space? Clean temporary files and look for duplicates? I asked the last question too because I had a lot issues with duplicate files in my computer, I found a nice software named ''East Duplicate File Finder'' and that way I could get rid of all the duplicates! You'd be surprised to learn how much space duplicate files can take!

Sefie, Mar 6, 2014
  8. Calum

jwalk

Disk clean up is a good little program to run if you find yourself running out of space. Have you also tried disk defragmenter?

jwalk, Mar 6, 2014
  9. Calum

mikelouis

90GB is a lot of space and there is no need to panic Simply clear your unused files from the systems and you will more space. In addition, clear the temp folder that has a lot of unnecessary files.

mikelouis, Mar 12, 2014
Ask a Question