Kuki Linux 2.8

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sammy, Aug 30, 2009.

1. sammy

sammy

I see that Kuki Linux has released a new version today -- 2.8. Has anybody tried it? If so, is it something I should consider (I'm looking for something ubuntu like, but not unr).

sammy, Aug 30, 2009
  2. sammy

bodhi.zazen

It is a nice respin. It is xfce rather then gnome. boots fast, the customizations work, the new theme is easier on the eyes.

bodhi.zazen, Sep 1, 2009
  3. sammy

badj3r64

Installed it last night and have only used it briefly but am impressed with it so far. I did notice that the battery life was showing well over 6 hours which is something I have not seen using NBR...

badj3r64, Sep 2, 2009
  4. sammy

finnbakk

Installed it and tried it for two days. Easy install, fast boot. Seems like all hardware works OOB. Battery life fairly well, ca. 1.55 h (3 cell).
    XFCE makes Kuki working slower than #CrunchBang Linux, which uses Openbox as GUI. With only 512 MB Ram this is remarkable. I will try to install Openbox in Kuki and see if it works and if this makes any difference.

finnbakk, Sep 3, 2009
  5. sammy

Reno

I'm quite happy with #! loaded with Kuki kernel. However, I'd like to know if you've had success with Kuki and Openbox as I love the clean, mean Openbox interface. Not a big fan of XFCE.

Reno, Sep 6, 2009
  6. sammy

greenfrog

Installed on a D150, everything works, webcam, sound, wireless, boots fast.

Installed to SDHC 4gb card.

I like it. :D :D :D

greenfrog, Sep 6, 2009
  7. sammy

finnbakk

Installing and using Openbox went smoth. and made the AAO quite faster. I use xfpanel in addition to Ob, but there are others, lighter panel alternatives.

finnbakk, Sep 8, 2009
  8. sammy

caulktel

I'm downloading the new Easy Peasy and Kuki to see which one I like the best. UNR was okay, I'm just not happy with the battery life from all these distos so far. We will see about Kuki and E.P. Oh, I have Moblin on right now, I have no doubts it will be a good OS someday, (its fast!) just needs more polish.

caulktel, Sep 8, 2009
  9. sammy

caulktel

I just installed Kuki.
    I wonder if its accurate, because mine is showing 3:30 hours with a 3 cell, I never got anything close to that with UNR. I hope its true, I'm going to test it today on a full charge and see what happens.

caulktel, Sep 8, 2009
  10. sammy

Jaycb

I've been using Kuki on a USB pen for nearly a week and here are my findings:

Sound - Pretty good, though I have a feeling that the maximum volume level might be a bet less than Linpus.

video - no problems at all, plays Youtube and other vids fine. Haven't tried with iPlayer yet.

Battery life - like Caulktel, I found it lasted very well on a 3-cell. Haven't actually measured it, but it feels like it lasts longer.

Other things - default browser is flaky; has hung on me several times. Similarly the default movie player has crashed a few times and required a reboot.
    Haven't tried with Firefox but would install it if I did a permanent install.

BIG PROBLEM - the right-hand card reader doesn't work. I haven't tried booting up with a card inserted but even if this worked it'd be a massive disappointment, as it's this reader that is designed to be used "0n the fly" to view photos, listen to music etc... Things like this are too big to be called "bugs" - they're fundamental oversights that should have been resolved before release.
    On the other hand, the left-hand reader, in which I leave a card inserted permanently, works fine.

Jaycb, Sep 9, 2009
  11. sammy

Joeb

Regarding the right hand card reader -- it does work once installed. The cdrom/usb image does not boot with grub, so it does not set the line necessary to enable the right card reader at boot.

Joeb, Sep 9, 2009
  12. sammy

Reno

Sounds pretty good. Will have to give it a go. Thanks.

Reno, Sep 10, 2009
  13. sammy

Jaycb

Hi Joeb,
    Are you saying that the right-hand card reader DOES recognise a card inserted after boot, so long as Kuki is fully installed? If you've tried this and can confirm then there's nothing stopping me from doing a full install myself.
    If so then my apologies to everyone for saying it doesn't work. :oops:

Jaycb, Sep 10, 2009
  14. sammy

sammy

Yes, I can confirm that a fully installed version of Kuki Linux 2.8 recognizes the right card reader without having to have a card in at boot. I just did it with an sdhc card.

sammy, Sep 11, 2009
  15. sammy

Joeb

Yes both card readers work. You do not need to have a card installed at boot time. You can pop them in or out (of course you should unmount them, first!).

Joeb, Sep 11, 2009
  16. sammy

Jaycb

Thanks Sammy & Joeb.
    As an aside, can anyone recommend a totally idiot-proof way of backing up my current setup, so that if I want to go back to Linpus it's a case of plugging in a USB stick and I'm back where I was? I've got the basic Linpus OS on a USB stick but I've done all the XFCE desktop mods etc... and don't want to have to do that all again.
    Thanks. :)

Jaycb, Sep 11, 2009
  17. sammy

scotty2

I recommend the macles method:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html

I use it to take snapshots of working setups on to a USB harddrive. Backups are created in a directory named Backup. Renaming the folder allows other backups to be created. Just rename required folder to restore a version.

scotty2, Sep 11, 2009
  18. sammy

2manydjs

The new theme in 2.8 is indeed a lot nicer! However I found a screenshot on the Kuki forum of Queseuq (Kuki forum member) who kept the same theme/style but altered it slightly. I think it looks great, clean and very suitable for the AAO screen! Will try to emulate this sometime in the coming week(s).
    [​IMG]

2manydjs, Sep 12, 2009
  19. sammy

2manydjs

Let us know! :)

2manydjs, Sep 12, 2009
  20. sammy

caulktel

Well, Easy Peasy to me just looked like a green version of UNR and no matter how hard I tried I could not get WiFi to work. It was very pretty though. Kuki on the other hand "worked out of the box" including WiFi, and is quite fast starting up and shutting down. I was able to get my desktop just the way I like it and all the software I wanted installed. As a side note, one of the apps I installed was Firefox 3.5.2, well wouldn't you know it Mozzila released 3.5.3 just the next day, well the next day there was a update to 3.5.3. I was impressed. I really like Kuki and will stay with it for a while. I also liked Easy Peasy, but if they can't make WiFi work out of the box its a show stopper for me. just my .02 worth.

caulktel, Sep 13, 2009
Ask a Question