Kuki 3 OS for the AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by csmo, Oct 31, 2008.

1. csmo

csmo

csmo, Oct 31, 2008
  2. csmo

Guest Guest

Re: Kuki

I have been using Ubuntu on my other pc and have been looking for Ubuntu for Aspire One that does not need any manual adjustments and something that works.

OK. I am not expecting 15 sec startup but expect that the sound, wifi and ethernet connection to work.

Hope Kuki will meet all these...

Will be trying alpha this weekend.

Guest, Oct 31, 2008
  3. csmo

donec

Mandriva 2009 Gnome does now.

donec, Oct 31, 2008
  4. csmo

scottw22

Poorly. In my case the webcam never worked and the wireless ceased working after a few days.

scottw22, Oct 31, 2008
  5. csmo

stevo

I have been using the Mepis 8.0 beta, and wifi, sound, hibernation, ethernet, and suspend2ram work out of the box. You need to set the model=basic for the snd_hda_intel module in alsa-base for the best sound functionality. Compiz is not on the base install, but adding the Lenny Repository of Shame install a very up to date version if you use aptitude to install his compiz-fusion-kde metapackage.

stevo, Nov 1, 2008
  6. csmo

Tamrac

Not poorly. Almost all the hardware works out of the box. Webcam works right away, and so has the wireless, and suspend mode. The only major issue is the right side SD card slot is a hit or miss on setup. And the boot time is longer than XP. The key is to install the Gnome version of the ISO(just a speed issue since GNOME needs less resurce, but KDE works too). And to have a reliable internet connection. Since on install Mandriva downloads ALOT of stuff for installation. Stalls on the repo downloads will cause problems. If ever this happens, just do the process over.... I used a wired network connection when I did the setup since the Realtek LAN port is detected right away without any settings needed. Unlike wifi on w/c passwords and keys and other stuff are needed for connection. ;)

Tamrac, Nov 1, 2008
  7. csmo

scottw22

I was using the Gnome version. I don't know what went wrong or why but I had major issues with my Mandriva install. Currently I'm using Ubuntu EEE with much better luck. Getting back to the topic let's hope Kuki gives users one more good option from which to choose.

scottw22, Nov 1, 2008
  8. csmo

chadster

kuki Linux 2.0 Alpha - Bavarian Bretzel is out!!!

chadster, Nov 3, 2008
  9. csmo

leak

Hi!

I would like to say i am honored to see a kuki related post :)

the 15 second boot should not be hard to get. Alpha 1.5 (a private version) had 18 seconds from power on to slim login with no big tweaks.
    right now alpha 2.0 has been released. its quite heavy but i hope to release a patch in a few days to fix it.

The iso current size is around 367 mb and boot time is mega slow ( 40 seconds on my aao)
    wifi is oob here and so is wired eth.
    brightness control also works fine and kazehakase seems to work wonders with flash.
    unfortunately its kinda late here (3 am) and i don't have an SD card or much time to test the rest of the stuff (mic, sound) thoroughly.
    But i will definitely make them work soon so expect some news in a few days.
    Generic kernel is available on this release but in second option.
    Default boot is kuki's custom kernel created from vanilla by Syco.
    It's locked so updates should not mess with ath5k functions.
    Also i updated kuki to latest ubuntu. It's running Ubuntu 8.10.

I'm available if questions arise on our channel (info available on http://kuki.me under "Get Involved" link) or on my email leak (at) kuki (dot) me.
    Thank you all for your support.

leak, Nov 3, 2008
  10. csmo

brad0022

I have to post here because when I registered on kuki.me, the emailed pass never worked when copy and pasting. So I made a USB key of 2.0 using unetbootin. I could never get it to work. I have tried so many times. It would load the boot page every time but it would never show any boot options. Just showed default. Is 2.0 corrupt?

brad0022, Nov 3, 2008
  11. csmo

leak

Hi there. I forgot to mention at that time the upload was still undergoing.
    It's now complete. So please download it again. The size as i referred is 367 megabyte. and not 83.4 as a user referred.

Thank you.

leak, Nov 3, 2008
  12. csmo

chadster

there's a problem with the first upload. the file is being uploaded as we speak. :)

chadster, Nov 3, 2008
  13. csmo

brad0022

ok awesome. Thanks everyone. Also, are there any screenshots. Nothing came up in google image search and no link on the site. Just curious of what it looks like.

brad0022, Nov 3, 2008
  14. csmo

brad0022

ok never mind about the screenshots. I just checked back at the site just now. cool thanks.

brad0022, Nov 3, 2008
  15. csmo

scottro

This looks very promising. It almost makes me sorry I took back my 8 GB SSD version.

I think it's still worth a partition on my 160 gig one though, and will probably try tonight.
    I like openbox and think it's a good choice of WM for this type of system.

(Flux is nice too, but it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, and I assume once the repos are working it'd be an easy replacement.)

scottro, Nov 3, 2008
  16. csmo

zaphod

I have just given Kuki Alpha 2.0 a quick run from a LiveUSB. WiFi didn't work OOB for me, the only network interface seemed to be eth0. As I didn't have a convenient wired connection I didn't play around with the distribution very much. Brightness control worked as advertised and various video formats (wmv, mp4) played OK (but not flv).

Is there a quick fix to getting the WiFi working or will I have to wait for a version where WiFi is really OOB before I can give Kuki a proper run ?

In any case, keep up the good work. I wholeheartedly support the goals of this development.

zaphod, Nov 3, 2008
  17. csmo

leak

actually it does work OOB the problem was my fault when generating the iso.
    I compiled it wrong and so you dont have wifi-radar to configure wifi among other stuff that didnt work as i planned.
    it is available but not easy to configure.
    You can configure wifi by issuing the following commands.

sudo ifconfig -a ( check for wlan0)
    if not available then: sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    if available then : sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
    check your access point is listed. then do a sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <your ap name>, then issue the command sudo dhclient wlan0

for most this should work to get wifi working. but im fixing this right now. ( i just arrived from work) and hope to make a new version available in less than 24h :)
    if you are using wep encryption then. sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <your ap name > key <your wepkey> and then the dhclient wlan0.

Cheers and sorry for these problems :\

leak, Nov 3, 2008
  18. csmo

csmo

Regarding the screenshots so far (http://www.kuki.me/wp-content/uploads/2 ... penbox.png), is Kuki going for a DSL Linux look-a-like tiny, clean interface or what is the goal? Is it too far fetched to expect anything similar to the eeeubuntu´s (interface)? Is there any hope (possibility) that Acer Aspire One users can expect a Kuki that will work out of the box without having to tweak wi-fi settings, recognizing left/right sd cards, sound, mic, web cam etc? Is the aim to make Kuki support everything... as in everything? And finally, what´s the story behind the name Kuki?

I know that Kuki is just getting started and something might change as the project is progressing, but still it would be great to hear some more details about these things. Lastly, thank you, guys, you´re doing a helluva good job there already. :)

csmo, Nov 3, 2008
  19. csmo

Andysan

Had a quick play with Kuki and am impressed thus far, boot times quick and the login screen is purty.

Would like to second many others in offering my support, looking forward to a great distro.

Andysan, Nov 3, 2008
  20. csmo

zaphod

Doesn't work for me. :cry:

"sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" returns "wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device"

zaphod, Nov 3, 2008
Ask a Question