Know any Free Anti-malware & antivirus scan and removal

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Krissttina Isobe, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe

I'm exhausted looking for a free antivirus & anti-malware scan & removal free stuff. I hope someone knows of a free one that's user friendly and has good reviews too. Here's hoping!

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 8, 2015
  2. Krissttina Isobe

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Malwarebytes - have free antimalware and it is very good
    Of COURSE they will 'pressure' you to buy it... but softly, I just use it for the free trial then go back and down load it again - and again - and again... (I bookmarked their web page !) PS it prompts you to update it at start up each time ... which means that you ALWAYS have the latest anti-malware on your computer.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

hope this is helpful

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Dec 8, 2015
    IcyBC and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

something back

I agree with brian, for a quality free anti-malware then Malwarebytes anti-malware is a good choice.

There are many free antivirus programs out there, there rating change all the time,
    to find out which is recommended look for computer mags on the internet
    they will have an up to date review list.

When you have decided go to http://www.frewarefiles.com for the programs,
    just type anti-virus.

something back, Dec 8, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. Krissttina Isobe

maur1c1ox

I don't use malwarebytes daily, but I do install it every time I need to scan my PC and then uninstall it. It's a really powerful anti-malware tool.
    I personally use avira as a resident protection. It's free, good and simple.

maur1c1ox, Dec 8, 2015
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe

Thank you life savers for everything!

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 9, 2015
    maur1c1ox likes this.
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I am actually using Panda FREE Antivirus on all my computers for general; safety

I run SuperAntispyware (FREE) weekly (or if I think I might have caught a drive-by virus - right there and then)

I also run MBAM (MalwareBytes Anti-Malware) weekly - also their ANTI-Exploit software Just in case...

And lurking in the background I have Trend RUBotted...

I like to play safe... ;)

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Dec 9, 2015
  7. Krissttina Isobe

KimmyMarkks

I don’t know any good free ones. I downloaded MacAfee about a year ago. I split it with my mom and my sister because the package I bought allowed us 3 downloads. It wasn’t too expensive doing it that way and I really like this anti-virus program. Hopefully there is someone you can split it with!

KimmyMarkks, Dec 11, 2015
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe

:oops:Guess what I did with my little netbook that I borrowed from the library? I got the free download of MBAM malware scan and removal and it caught 68 issues on the netbook:confused:...and from the library PC Status is Protected...gulp!!! Maybe I should tell the Tech support at the library about it? When you have your own laptop or any computer it's a good idea to get protection from malware as I've learned. Brian8gbSSDLinu thanks!:p

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 12, 2015
  9. Krissttina Isobe

diligentworker

I never know why any computer owner would overlook free programs that are proven effective. I'm happy to see that you're not one of those people. I use and love the antivirus AVAST. It's free and loaded with features that will keep your computer in excellent working order. I also use ANTI-MALWAREBYTES.

diligentworker, Dec 13, 2015
  10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe

:oops:Thanks everyone for the great help! Happy Holidays!

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 14, 2015
    something back likes this.
  11. Krissttina Isobe

Sefie

I use NOD32, the trial version. I have to get a new password every month, but most of the time is not hard at all to find trial passwords online, you have to be very alert though, never wait for the sub to run out, always act faster.

Sefie, Dec 14, 2015
  12. Krissttina Isobe

Sefie

Can you actually get it to work completely if you do that? Because my licence is no longer valid (I was using the trial) so the virus data base is no longer up to date. I had no idea that if you uninstalled and installed again you could get it to work again very well.

Sefie, Dec 14, 2015
  13. Krissttina Isobe

maur1c1ox

Well, according to Brian8gbSSDLinux on #6 you can:
    I've never used it more than a day.

maur1c1ox, Dec 14, 2015
  14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 15, 2015
  15. Krissttina Isobe

typist88

I think the best two free anti-virus platforms are Avast and Avira. Maybe try one of these? I'm currently using Avast and it's super amazing; I haven't had any virus issues.

That being said, I also do frequent anti-malware scans. SuperAntiSpyware is good and it's free. I think someone already mentioned MalwareBytes and I find it good as well.

It might be helpful to also do regular registry cleans. CCleaner is great, as is JetClean and Advanced System Care. The problem is that some programs want to take over the Anti-virus program so beware of that. Having two running at the same time caused me some problems.

CNET Downloads is a safe website to use to search for security programs, and other types, to download. They also have user ratings which are super helpful to see what programs are most effective. Hope this helps!

typist88, Dec 20, 2015
  16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe

:oops:I found a good free anti virus download that really works well AVG. I am using it now and it works. :)Still got issues of location though as I've posted threads about. :(

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 21, 2015
  17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe

Found an absolutely free scan and removal that speeds up your computer-even a little netbook borrow from the library called Windows Microsoft Security Essentials! It's so good that it even speeds up your computer a whole lot!
    *http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

I absolutely love this download for not only is it free it protects you from everything! Thanks everyone for your help!
    (smiley doesn't show up)

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 31, 2015
  18. Krissttina Isobe

IcyBC

What a great thread this is for Window users and this would have come in handy for me if I still have my HP! However, the rest of the family are still using Window, so it is still a FANTASTIC information to have on hand. Before, I only used AVAST on all the computers in the house.

IcyBC, Jan 6, 2016
    something back likes this.
Ask a Question