kinda big problemo

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aircos, Jan 9, 2009.

1. aircos

aircos

hellow
    if been goofing around on my aao for quit some time and the first time i had problems was when i tryd to update firefox it failed to patch no idee why bhut stopped caring for a while and moved on , after some time i forgot my superviser pw so i lookedup how to reset that and that procedure worked so happy and all i started running the software updater (wich turn out to be a huge mistake) i couldent update everything and i updated certain things that truly f*cked up my aao naw here is a list of problems i encounterd

unable to shut it down using the turn off key it always hangs up whit a black screen at a certain point after wich i gotta hardware shut it down even a reboot doesent works

stil on firefox 2.0.0.14 (not my biggest problem it can stay on that version for all i care atm)

unabel to update gnome-screensaver package; notify-python package; scim package's; scim-pinyin package and unabel to update yelp package

- gnomescreensaver error
    file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Internet.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.3-1.fc8.i386 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1652.mcs_patched.i386
    file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.3-1.fc8.i386 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1652.mcs_patched.i386

- notify-python error
    notification-daemon-xfce conflicts with notification-daemon

- scim package error
    file /usr/share/pixmaps/scim-setup.png from install of scim-1.4.7-7.fc8.i386 conflicts with file from package scim-aspire-1.0.0-3.lp.i386

- scim-pinyin error
    file /usr/share/scim/icons/smart-pinyin.png from install of scim-pinyin-0.5.91-24.fc8.i386 conflicts with file from package scim-aspire-1.0.0-3.lp.i386

- yelp error
    file /etc/gre.d/gre.conf from install of firefox2-2.0.0.19-1.fc8.remi.i386 conflicts with file from package firefox-2.0.0.14-20080612.fc8.acer.i386

my wireless ain't working anymore (software problem iam sure of that) and iam unabel to run network management , yesterday i was abel to run it and i had to type in the network pass each time to connect wich i dident had to do before patching and only thing i did was hardware shutdown and boot it up again nothing more so no ide why that all of a sudden ain't working anymore

following program's don't load anymore also
    ezmove; energie management; setting's managment; mouse settings; desktop settings and many more
    bhut the panel manager stil runs great aswel as the media things and netwerk applications along whit paint and such things stil work fine

naw here is the tricky part , i know jack about programming so youl have to explain step bye step what i gota type in the terminal :oops:
    any idee's ? :p

aircos, Jan 9, 2009
  2. aircos

whyay

I think the simplest and quickest solution is restoring your system to factory state. You will have to have either an external ODD or 2GB+ usb flash drive that can be formatted. AA0 does not have the hidden recovery partition, so you have to use the recovery DVD. If you have an external ODD, the recovery will take about 20 minutes. If you don't have an external ODD, you have to create the boot usb flash drive (it will take about 20 minutes as well). Watch a video:

whyay, Jan 9, 2009
  3. aircos

aircos

i feared that answer :p
    gone wait a bit more see or there are any other reactions from other peopel on a how to solve (dont got the usb stick or externall dvd drive atm anyway)

aircos, Jan 9, 2009
  4. aircos

daldred

The 'software update' function is not for the AAO: too much of Acer's stuff is not standard, and using Software Update breaks it, as you've found. Stick to Live Update, and use Add/Remove software for extras, but keep away from Software Update!

So, basically, I'd agree you need to use the recovery process!

daldred, Jan 9, 2009
  5. aircos

woodland

Like daldred i think using software update is the source of all your problems.

I don't understand why ACER and Linpus made that accessible to newcomers.
    I was on the verge of using it myself but by pure luck i read some posts here that warned me.. god bless those unsung heroes

I'm afraid you will have to do the full recovery.. i feel sorry for you.

One tip have a look here: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html
    AA1Backup will enable you to do a full restore (system and Data) very easily if anything goes wrong in the future.

woodland, Jan 9, 2009
  6. aircos

pinklady756

I used live update, something suggested online for messenger to work correctly.

Did this on brother and sisters netbooks, one is fine the either is a nightmare...

The bottom panel had vanished, but managed to get that back. However lots of the programs are not working now, cannot connect to the internet as the 2 computer screens are not visible in the panel at the bottom, so cannot view available networks and network connections in settings will not open at all. Email won't open either and we've no idea what to do now.

pinklady756, Jan 11, 2009
  7. aircos

Huw

Aircos - I would say do the recovery as well. Unfortunately by running the other update utility you've messed up the integrity of the package database. It's a shame that it's so easy to do, just because people (understandably) don't want to use the oversimplified interface.

Pinklady - I can't help with all your problems, but you may at least be able to connect to the internet. The "two screens" icon normally showing on the panel is for the network manager and there is a way to launch it manually. Have you enabled the advanced right-click menu? If not, press alt-f2 and type xfce-setting-show and press enter. Then click desktop, then select the behaviour tab. Check the box marked "show desktop menu on right-click." Then close all those windows and right-click in empty space on the desktop. In the menu that appears, select system -> network centre. That will bring up the screen that normally comes up when you click the panel icon and you can hopefully connect.

Huw, Jan 11, 2009
  8. aircos

pinklady756

Thanks Huw, will give that a try tomorrow. Don't hold out much hope though as it's not opening the network centre from my settings so it probably won't there, but worth a go.

Crossing my fingers that it might just have resolved itself overnight, wishful thinking but have had a few issues that simply went away.

Anyone else had any problems like this after the live update??

pinklady756, Jan 11, 2009
  9. aircos

meng

An alternative is to use another Linux distro, e.g., Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva.

meng, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question