Killed desktop while customising group-app.xml

Discussion in 'Linux' started by LinpusNewbie, Sep 6, 2008.

1. LinpusNewbie

LinpusNewbie

hi,

i need some help. I was trying to get rid of the preferences/help button on the start screen of AAO linpus. I was editing the group-app.xml and erased the part where the help button was mentioned (first group in the file) and i rebootet. Now there's no desktop at all, just some half-transparent view of the group-app.xml file and the xfce-setting.

My code of the group-app.xml file:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <xfdesktop>
    <group>
    <id>1</id>
    <sequence>0</sequence>

<directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-blue-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Connect.directory</directory_file>
    <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk.png</background_picture>
    <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/blue-more.desktop</app>
    </group>

Thanks for any hints/help :)

LinpusNewbie, Sep 6, 2008
  2. LinpusNewbie

sw09

I'm do not know what the problem with the code is (I'm new to this), but there is a copy of the group-app.xml file in the /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop directory. If you delete or rename the file in the /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop directory and reboot, it will be automatically replaced by this one, which is the original without your customizations (unless this is the one you have been editing).

I would also like to know how to delete these buttons (especially the search bar) without making the file unusable.

sw09, Sep 6, 2008
  3. LinpusNewbie

rbil

Possibly the problem is related to have the html comment ""?

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 6, 2008
  4. LinpusNewbie

uschan

The first line should read:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    The < is missing.

uschan, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question