Kicking out Win XP and replacing with Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by knutkja, May 6, 2009.

1. knutkja

knutkja

Hi all,

I bought an "old" Aspire One 150 on sale, and I want to install Ubuntu as the sole OS on it. I can find how-tos on making a dual boot, but not on how to make Ubuntu the only OS.

Can anyone help me?

knutkja, May 6, 2009
  2. knutkja

mindhack

Download the Ubuntu Desktop ISO or the Netbook Remix IMG from www.ubuntu.com.

If its the iso, use unetbootin to put it on a USB drive, if it is the IMG use ImageWriter (or whatever the windows equivalent is) to put it on the usb drive.

Boot the AA1, press F12 and select the USB drive from the boot menu.

Ubuntu will ask you what language you want, select it. Then select install from the menu. If you are unfamiliar with partitioning, just select use the whole disk option. If you are familiar with partitioning, i just suggest 3 partitions. a swap partition, a / partition and a /home partition.

Just follow through thought the graphical install, it should be fairly self explanatory after that. You will loose all data stored on the disk, so backup anything you wish to keep.

I made my partitiosn as ext3, one mounted as / with a size of 20 gb (15 would be plenty for most people), a swap partition of 2gb and one using the remaining space, and mounted as /home. In linux your personal files should be all stored in /home/<username>. I prefer to keep /home on a seperate partition, for security reasons. If you wanted to do encryption, see the posts linked in my signature.

If you need more help, let me know.

mindhack, May 6, 2009
  3. knutkja

knutkja

Thanks, the installation from a usb memory stick made with unetbootin worked great!

Later, however, after updating all updates available in Update Manager, the pc ended in kernel panic after restart... guess I have to look around to find what makes this happen...

knutkja, May 7, 2009
  4. knutkja

knutkja

knutkja, May 7, 2009
  5. knutkja

mindhack

I don't see why any of the updates would cause a kernel panic. Check the md5sum of the image, see if it was a good copy.

mindhack, May 7, 2009
  6. knutkja

knutkja

I'm not sure how I can check the md5sum of the images. I used the Update Manager since I'm not used to update the os manually.

knutkja, May 7, 2009
  7. knutkja

mindhack

I mean to check the sum of the original image, I have installed every update without a problem.

mindhack, May 7, 2009
  8. knutkja

aspergerian

Tho' I'm still a Linux newbie, I have installed Heron on Asus 901 and HP Mini 1000 Mi, using a Heron stick via instruction of Adam McDaniel http://array.org/ubuntu/

Yesterday, a friend purchased an Acer Aspire One D250-1026, WalMart had only XP machines. Friend wants to run Ubuntu, but Acer seems to have has hidden and restricted access to bios on his Aspire One. I tried my Heron iso stick in each of the new Acer's usb ports, but none is within the boot pathway. So friend loaded Wubi - and found that neither wireless nor ethernet is functional. Via XP, his Acer One connects either way, Atheros AR5007EG (wireless) or Atheros AR 8132 PC IE.

He'd prefer to run only Ubuntu but will use Wubi if need be, but he needs get the wireless and ethernet working asap. I'll be showing him this forum later today, and he'll be able to read replies.

Suggestions appreciated.

aspergerian, Jun 9, 2009
  9. knutkja

RockDoctor

Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) is now a year old. You might try Jaunty Jackalope (Ubuntu 9.04). Also, unetbootin seems to do a good job making bootable USB sticks.

RockDoctor, Jun 9, 2009
  10. knutkja

aspergerian

The problem with the new Acer Aspire One is that it's been preset not to show bios and not to boot thru USB ports. Therefore, whichever ubuntu os is on the stick, my friend's AA1 won't boot thru the stick. Can the new AA1 be made to show to bios? Can the new AA1 be made to change the boot sequence so that iso-stick in usb port will function?

aspergerian, Jun 9, 2009
  11. knutkja

RockDoctor

Pressing the F-12 key when booting allows changing the boot order on the Aspire One AOA150. Not sure about the new models.

RockDoctor, Jun 9, 2009
  12. knutkja

mzc

There's some sort of standard that manufacturers follow nowadays:

F2 - enter BIOS
    F12 - change boot (maybe F10 in some)

the F12 function can be disabled from the BIOS.

mzc, Jun 10, 2009
Ask a Question