Keys not working:should I try to replace the keyboard?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bk_sk, Nov 27, 2009.

1. bk_sk

bk_sk

I have the ZG5 model. The following keys are not working at all, as in they simply do not register anything!
    4,6,8,0, =, P , and `

Of course I know I can use the virtual keyboard, but that gets on my nerves in a short time! (I'm typing on my desktop because already the virtual keyboard is wearing thin!)
    I did remove the keyboard, popped out the offending keys, cleaned the area, and put the keyboard back in place. It didn't help. All the same offending keys still don't work, while the rest are perfectly fine. I don't know that this is worth the hassle of sending in for repair. If a replacement keyboard for what, 30 bucks or so would do the trick, I'm game for just doing that. I'm no hardware whiz, so I can't judge if there is a "larger" hardware issue at play, or if truly just a replacement keyboard would likely do the trick. Any opinions? Thanks.

bk_sk, Nov 27, 2009
  2. bk_sk

TantalusFld

Have you had this apart before. Maybe the ribbon connector is tired. try insuring the black thingy is seated properly. try shoving a wedge in there if necessary. This is the weak area of the keyboard problems.

Jim

TantalusFld, Nov 27, 2009
  3. bk_sk

bk_sk

thanks for the reply. No, I've never taken it apart before. I'll give your advice a whirl. I just don't want to order a replacement keyboard only to find the new one doesn't work either. I just wanted to get a idea if there is a larger issue or not. Thanks again.

bk_sk, Nov 30, 2009
  4. bk_sk

Roblaz

Any chance you had any luck with this issue. I have a Acer Asprire 1 netbook that is about 4 months old and ran into similiar problems. My keys on my keyboard are either not typing or are typing multiple characters.

Currently I am stuck on the windows log in screen and not able to get to the windows desktop.

any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Roblaz, Dec 3, 2009
  5. bk_sk

Forone

I swear by electrical contact spray (pure solvent, no lubricant) - the kind that used to be used for VCR tape heads. It will remove any gunk and restore contact. Fixed a wine spill that had stopped several keys and the on/off switch.

Forone, Dec 3, 2009
  6. bk_sk

bk_sk

I tried one more time and then finally decided to just go ahead and buy a replacement keyboard. Found one on eBay for just a little under $18. Problem solved! Good as new now!

bk_sk, Jan 18, 2010
  7. bk_sk

Barney2013

Hi all, you are listening to someone who hasnt much of a clue but willing to try.
    My question is "How easy is it to change a keyboard on a acer aspire 5920"
    My keyboard has two key covers missing (little fingers nicked them) and I understand I can buy a new key pad on ebay, but just worried that it may be a big job to replace.
    Many thanks for any assistance

Barney2013, Feb 4, 2010
  8. bk_sk

TantalusFld

Barney,

There is a picture of the keyboard being removed from a A0D250 in this pdf manual. Download and see pg. 49. Yours may be the same. It's not too hard, just pop a few retainers and it comes out the top.
    http://www.box.net/shared/sb1el73hyr

TantalusFld, Feb 5, 2010
  9. bk_sk

Barney2013

Thanks TantalusFld, you are a STAR , I will surely give it a go now as it seems pretty straight forward, just got to order up the replacement keyboard and take it from there.
    Many thanks again

Barney2013, Feb 5, 2010
  10. bk_sk

Barney2013

Thanks again, got new keyboard and have installed it using instructions you suggested. Best regards

Barney2013, Feb 14, 2010
Ask a Question