Keyboard wear - what keys did you rub off?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by CasualGoofy, Apr 6, 2016.

1. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

My keyboard often have back light on. So it is a strange sight to see light cracking through the rubbed off keys.

For me, the keys that are rubbing off are "G" and "M".

Maybe my vocabulary involves "G" often?!

"M" is easy to figure out. "M" is the hotkey for map. No matter what rpg game it is, I like to check the map constantly. I just find it strange that other game hotkeys didn't get any wear.

What keys did you rub off? And, do you have any idea why?

CasualGoofy, Apr 6, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. CasualGoofy

IcyBC

Oh you are good with only two keys! Mine are A, E, T, S, I, O and the space key! This is why I bought a keyboard cover this time around with my MacBook. The oil or the lotion on my fingers must be very bad for the keyboard :)

IcyBC, Apr 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

Either it's lotion or it's nails. Letter "G" is just oddly worn on the side of it. Cheers for bad cellphone photo (my desk is too chaotic for human eyes to see at the moment haha). My cousin slapped some colorful key stickers over her Macbook. Some keys were wearing off too!
    [​IMG]

CasualGoofy, Apr 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. CasualGoofy

sparkster

I don't have this problem any more, as I just bought a shiny brand new laptop! A Lenovo G5080 to be precise. However, my old laptop which was a Fujitsu Lifebook had three keys not just rubbed off but completely missing from the keyboard! That was the A, the S and the M, which is not so good considering I'm a writer constantly working on blog posts, articles and books. Now I can get back to work properly!

sparkster, Apr 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

Awesome, shiny laptop! Looks plenty practical without compromising the exterior appeal.

Holy..! Missing keys,you must be typing at Mach speed. I do key smash AWSD. I just avoid using nails. Get the keyboard cover :cool:

CasualGoofy, Apr 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. CasualGoofy

Corzhens

I'm not a keyboard wizard espcially with the laptop which has a slightly smaller keyboard than the standard keyboard of the desktop. But my husband is a super typist since he types by touch system. He could type without looking at the keyboard so you can guess his efficiency. I have lost count of the number of keyboard replacements or should I say the number of keyboards he had destroyed. The last was last year when I bought this wireless keyboard for our home desktop. The keys that wouldn't work are A, S, F, J.

Corzhens, Apr 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

o_O wow you had to replace it that often?! I've only owned one keyboard.

Some people don't have to look at the keys when they're typing. I still can't fight the need to look at the numbers on top row :D

I once thought I broke a key. But it turns out that key got sticky from something. So when I pressed it hard, it got stuck! All I did was clean the keyboard.

CasualGoofy, Apr 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and Corzhens like this.
  8. CasualGoofy

vinaya

In my laptop, the keys that are rubbed off are N, L, A, and I. Apart from rubbed keys, my laptop keyboards also have missing key. Keys that are missing are E and G.

vinaya, Apr 8, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. CasualGoofy

spence88

It's not that visible but F12 and upper right corner Delete/Insert is smudged.I can't really resist to post my own image after seeing CasualGoofy's post :D

[​IMG]

I don't really know why, because those keys are my least used keys. The others are still intact. Also encountered some problems recently with 'C' and 'M' and 'B' even popped out, luckily I managed to put it back. I'm not complaining, I've been smashing these keys for more than 3 years now.

Oh that definitely needs replacement! Judging by how fast you replace your keyboards it must have been used a lot.
    Your husband really could be a super typist. :)

spence88, Apr 8, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  10. CasualGoofy

IcyBC

I think you should invest in a keyboard cover! I bought mine on Amazon for around $13 dollars and it came with the front and back hard cover too. I am trying to avoid dust and crumb from sneaking in between the letters and keep the letters from disappearing :)

I think your cellphone photo isn't bad at all! Here is mine:http://www.laptop-forums.com/threads/finally-keyboard-cover.25526/ if you want to see!

IcyBC, Apr 10, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and spence88 like this.
  11. CasualGoofy

ForeverANewbie

My old laptop had smudges on almost every alphabet key. There's also a small pebble stuck underneath, so sometimes one of the keys won't work properly. I've taken the precaution of buying an external keyboard for my new one, but it's inevitable you have to use the built-in keyboard from time to time.

Right now the right and down arrow keys don't work anymore, since they're my main mode of navigating through documents and other stuff.

ForeverANewbie, Apr 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  12. CasualGoofy

Corzhens

It's only now that I remember, several causes of a broken keyboard is the spring that gave way. When you press the letter A, it will just sink and not spring up anymore because the spring is broken. The main reason that I see is the banging of the keyboard. Yeah, my husband is a rapid typist but he bangs the keyboard so you can hear him typing even when you are not near the computer.

Corzhens, Apr 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  13. CasualGoofy

SirJoe

If you type with all your fingers, you use your index fingers on the g and the m. I don't know if that helps but at least it's what connection between the two.

SirJoe, Apr 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  14. CasualGoofy

lilant702

It actually makes me sad that not many people have said W, A, S, or D. Do you guys really not game on your laptop? Not really so much as flash games, but there's gotta be someone here with a laptop with a 660 or something.

lilant702, Apr 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and spence88 like this.
  15. CasualGoofy

spence88

I have a GTX 660m. And oh I absolutely did hard core gaming with my laptop. I've been smashing the keys for the past 3 years but they are still fine up to now. I'm actually confused (if you would read my previous post) because the keys that I used the most aren't smudged at all, but the keys that I don't use are the ones that get smudged!

spence88, Apr 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  16. CasualGoofy

IBMPC8088

On the system for nes and sega emulation, W, X, A, S, D, and Z do have wear. ;) On my netbook I managed to wear out all the labels for keys but on the power button. People looked at me like I was crazy when I typed, because I remembered where all of them were at still by the feel of the keys even in the dark. They would see me typing on it with no letters or labels and would ask me how I knew. It's like how Stevie Wonder knows how to play the piano. He memorized where his fingers have to be and which keys to press which is an even better system than using home row (I feel) for a lot of reasons. More natural and free to express instantly that way, too...whether it's the computer keyboard, the piano keyboard, or anything else it can be parallel to.

On keyboards that are just used for typing, usually the first keys to go are the Alt and Ctrl keys, and the letters C and V. If I have to copy something I've written in pico or emacs and then paste it to a forum or anywhere else after I'm done writing it that way, I end up using those keys the most (like just now after finishing this, I used ctrl+c and ctrl+v to paste it fast out of the pad and onto this box to post. :) )

IBMPC8088, Apr 13, 2016
  17. CasualGoofy

fcuco

In my line of work I interact a lot with typist that transcribe medical reports from audio recordings, the words per minute these ladies reach while typing is mind blowing, I've never seen something like that, I remember this time I was visiting one and her keyboard was completely blank, all the keys were gone just like one of those very expensive Das Keyboard things, of course, she was not showing off by using the blank keyboard, she literally didn't notice that the keys were long gone as she didn't paid attention to the keyboard anymore. Thanks to all the weird medical terms even the less used letters were also gone.

fcuco, Apr 15, 2016
  18. CasualGoofy

FenWoFon

My keyboard has smudges principallyon WASD, sapce and shift, those are the keys I use the most when playing GTA San Andreas Miltiplayer, however ENTER is almost dead as well, I will have to buy a new keyboard real soon.

FenWoFon, Apr 18, 2016
  19. CasualGoofy

SirJoe

Lol, so to disappoint but, no I'm not a gamer anymore. Nearly all my keys are polished and I bit miffed about it. I have only had my laptop for a year and already it shows wear and tear, my previous computer was four years old but the keys were still new.

SirJoe, Apr 20, 2016
  20. CasualGoofy

acer93

Well my old laptop that was already 8 years old when I bought a new one last december had quite a lot button missing a few rub off also.
    I had my tab button missing also a few of my numbers from my numeric one. I did rub off the words from space and the delete button and caps lock. :)

acer93, Apr 30, 2016
Ask a Question