Keyboard typing all caps and multiple icons highlight

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mikew3511, Dec 19, 2008.

1. mikew3511

mikew3511

3 issues. I'm not sure if these are windows issues or a hardware issues, or neither.

1. Despite not having the caps lock on or the shift key depressed while typing, the keyboard types caps, not all the time, but enough where it is annoying.

2. Sometimes when I click on 1 desktop icon, multiple ones highlight and I can't undo it easily. Sometimes holding the shift key down and clicking again will clear it. When multiple ones are highlighted and I double tap to open the one I want other programs open.

3. Sometimes icons will copy themselves on the desktop, then I have to delete them.

Software, hardware, or user problems?

Thanks!

Mike

mikew3511, Dec 19, 2008
  2. mikew3511

LordBoreal51

To me that sounds like a sticky shift key...but maybe it's something more sinister

Have you made sure the ZIF for the keyboard is seated properly?

LordBoreal51, Dec 19, 2008
  3. mikew3511

mikew3511

ZIF for the keyboard? I contacted Acer support and they said it could be a corrupt operating system and to maybe reconsider reloading it. Your explanation seems more plausible concerning the sticky shift key.

Mike

mikew3511, Dec 19, 2008
  4. mikew3511

rory

You might have sticky keys on
    I dont know exactly what it does, but its actiated by holding shift for 8 seconds and is a software thing, rather than an actual stuck down shift buttton which the previous poster seemed to suggest
    Rory

rory, Dec 20, 2008
Ask a Question