Keyboard (shift key really) issues after bios flash

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by BigCommieNat, Apr 8, 2010.

1. BigCommieNat

BigCommieNat

Ok, I'll admit this is PARTIALLY my fault. I know to back up a bios before flashing a new one... I know that. And I didn't do it.

I heard that the 3310 fixed the crash when the lid closed, so I went ahead and flashed it to my AOA110 - 1588. It booted back up, no sweat. I ran the same update (from the same thumb drive, seconds later) on my fiancé's AOA150. Again, booted right up, no problem.

So, her pc is running without any issues at all. Mine however...

The shift keys don't function correctly.

For instance - I can type an 'n' no problem. I want a capital 'N', i have to use the caps lock or the right shift key. left shift +'n' create no character. i can use either shift on 'm' or 'b', most characters really... but a capital 'N' is right shift only.

I cannot make a ':' with EITHER shift key, but semicolons register just fine . the same is true for #IYEQSH, the non shift characters are fine

K>VZ can ONLY be made with the right shift

and for all other keys, either shift works great

Wrote Acer a few weeks back, no reply, and the same bios on my fiancé's AOA150 doesn't show these issues... any ideas?

BigCommieNat, Apr 8, 2010
  2. BigCommieNat

Swarvey Moderator

wow, that sounds like a toughie. Here's what I'd try:

*Boot a Linux distro and see if the keyboard functions properly under a different OS
    *Go into device manager and uninstall the keyboard. Reboot and allow Windows to reinstall it

That's all I can think of for now.

Swarvey, Apr 8, 2010
  3. BigCommieNat

BigCommieNat

Running ubuntu right now, tried a few different live distributions from USB just to verify the problem wasn't OS based. Same thing happened across all OSs

NORMALLY, I'd suspect some kind of keyboard region setting in the bios... but the acer bios is pretty spartan on settings, and my finance's PC was fine.

I'm flummoxed

BigCommieNat, Apr 8, 2010
  4. BigCommieNat

Swarvey Moderator

Tried a USB keyboard? If that works then at least you can get a replacement keyboard from eBay. Mine cost me about $14 AUD inc postage from Japan

Swarvey, Apr 10, 2010
Ask a Question