Keyboard problem - some keys not working

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by imcaufieldholt, Jan 31, 2009.

1. imcaufieldholt

imcaufieldholt

Hi,
    I've done a quick search and can't find an answer, so here's hoping someone knows.

I followed the many posted instructions and upgraded my AAO to 1.5Gb.
    I reassembled, bios worked fine, but once in windows I found that many of the keys on the keyboard nolonger worked, they seemed to be in groups:
    eg qwaszxc work but rtydfg don't (those may not be exactly correct as I'm trying to remember)

So I guess I damaged something and I figure the choices are the keyboard/ribbon cable or something on the motherboard. Hopefully the former.

So I'm thinking about buying a new keyboard, but I don't want to shell out £40 (incl P&P) if it is clear that its a motherboard issue and I've just bricked my lovely new machine, seeing as the cost of a new motherboard is near the cost of a new machine. I guess then I sell my netbook as broken/for spares.

So, has anyone any insight into what I might have messed up as I was very careful removing the keyboard ribbon.

Thanks.

imcaufieldholt, Jan 31, 2009
  2. imcaufieldholt

jeremysdad

Maybe you just didn't get it fully inserted/latched. As quick as the keyboard comes up, it's worth a try to reinstall it and see what happens. That's where my money's at on this one... ;)

jeremysdad, Feb 1, 2009
  3. imcaufieldholt

imcaufieldholt

Thanks. I must admit I tried a number of times, no joy. I'll be off to buy a new keyboard....

imcaufieldholt, Feb 2, 2009
  4. imcaufieldholt

imcaufieldholt

Thank you. I'm kind of cross.......but hope to get it working before wifey finds out....not much chance of that, though.
    I'll update the forum as to how I get on.

imcaufieldholt, Feb 2, 2009
  5. imcaufieldholt

Piraat

Im having the same issue, only I've not had my apart. The battery ran out of juice while it was unplugged on my desk and when I plugged it in and resumed, only some of my keys work. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Piraat, Feb 3, 2009
  6. imcaufieldholt

imcaufieldholt

Hmmm that's interesting. Can you tell me (roughly) which keys are not working, I wonder if they are the same ones as mine.
    In any case, I have a keyboard on order and should arrive within a week, so I'll let you know if that solves the problem.

A USB keyboard works as expected, so I'm hoping that it is not a motherboard issue, otherwise, that's £35 down the drain....and possibly the AAO as well, so I'd probably have to try and sell it as spares and recoup some of the cost that way as all the other components (HDD, screen, wireless, case, etc) are in perfect condition.

imcaufieldholt, Feb 4, 2009
  7. imcaufieldholt

brucett

I have exactly the same problem as well, groups of keys just dont work!!!

Seems to have happened after upgrading the RAM, plugged in a USB keyboard to install Windows and that works fine.

I cant honestly see how it has been damaged to do this, the keyboard and ribbon are in perfect condition. Ive had a play around with the ribbon but still the same result!

any ideas anyone?

brucett, Feb 4, 2009
  8. imcaufieldholt

teh_qube

what about the black flap? did you crack it? does it shut well? maybe its out of place and doesnt provide the right amount of pressure..

i guess stating the obvious here but do you have a friend with an AAO and you could try their keyb for a minute?

teh_qube, Feb 5, 2009
  9. imcaufieldholt

brucett

if you mean the connector part by the "black flap", the connector is in perfect condition and so is the ribbon!

brucett, Feb 5, 2009
  10. imcaufieldholt

imcaufieldholt

Have you taken the RAM out and re-tried the keys?
    A bit left-field, but I will give it a try if my new keyboard doesn't work......yes, still waiting for it to arrive! Hopefully in a couple of days.

imcaufieldholt, Feb 9, 2009
  11. imcaufieldholt

imcaufieldholt

Mystery solved!!!!!! :D

Installed new keyboard......same keys would not work!
    Decided to try my own advice and removed the RAM I installed before these problems started...

GUESS WHAT!!!! The keys all work again!

So question is: incompatible RAM or dodgy RAM????

I installed a 1Gb stick I bought from PCWorld (UK). For those who are interested the RAM was
    PNY OPTIMA SODIMM DDR2 800Mhz PC2-6400 200 pins

I thought this would work....clearly not.

So now I'll research RAM which others have found compatible....

imcaufieldholt, Feb 11, 2009
  12. imcaufieldholt

imcaufieldholt

Okay. It looks like I jumped the gun on the RAM side. As suggested by poster Thwack, I reseated the RAM and everything works as predicted.

I now have a glorious 1.5 Gb of RAM using the PNY stick above.

Lessons learnt:
    - if you do a mod and something doesn't work, undo the change and see if all goes back to normal.
    - Do not, in an act of frustration, break the keyboard.
    - Make sure that when RAM is installed that it is seated correctly.

Good luck everybody.

imcaufieldholt, Feb 18, 2009
  13. imcaufieldholt

harej

That actually happened with me. i accidentally removed the black connector on the keyboard slot, and now only some of the keys work. It'd be nice if there was a way to re-attach the black connector (I still have it). In the meantime, I am not too concerned, since I have a USB keyboard which works perfectly fine.

harej, Mar 2, 2009
Ask a Question