Keyboard problem after HDD replacement

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by tjakazulu, Jun 18, 2009.

1. tjakazulu

tjakazulu

Hi,
    I just replaced the 8gb SDD in my a110 with a 20gb harddrive. Everything works perfect but now I seem to have a serious keyboard problem :s! Some keys (e.g. the R, T and backspace) don't seem to be working anymore. Tried to reconnect the keyboard ZIF connector but whatever I do, it doesn't fix the problem. Did I fry my keyboard? Anyone?

tjakazulu, Jun 18, 2009
  2. tjakazulu

TantalusFld

I doubt that you fried the keyboard. It almost aways is something to do with the ribbon connector for the keyboard. Does the lever snap down nicely, maybe a speck of dust or ribbon not it all the way. Stuff like that. Check it again.

TantalusFld, Jun 18, 2009
  3. tjakazulu

tjakazulu

Thanks for the reply. I double checked everything, cleaned connectors, made sure everything's connected etc.. Unfortunately without results :s. Could it be anything else? The keys that don't work are: W,R,T,U,O,],' and backspace.

tjakazulu, Jun 18, 2009
  4. tjakazulu

TantalusFld

Tj,

Is the keyboard setting reasonably flat? Is there any pressure or humps from your hdd install that might be bending it. If so try dismounting the keyboard, but re-connect the ribbon and try it Just hanging there. Put a piece of cardboard under it so it doesn't short anything.

Jim

TantalusFld, Jun 19, 2009
  5. tjakazulu

tjakazulu

I just took out the HDD and connected the keyboard making sure it didn't touch anything. Unfortunately without results. My question is whether it could be anything else besides the keyboard or the ribbon being broken. Could I have fried something on the mainboard/ bios (etc.) resulting in seven keys not functioning anymore? (or would that render the whole keyboard disfunct). If it's likely that it is the keyboard I will order a new one but I want to be "sure" as they're not cheap where I live.

tjakazulu, Jun 19, 2009
  6. tjakazulu

TantalusFld

I suppose it is possible something is bad on the motherboard, but not likely. Of the many desktop and laptop computers I've repaired, keyboard problems were always the keyboard, not the motherboard.
    There are some people selling parts off their dead AAO's on this message board. Here is one such link.
    viewtopic.php?f=79&t=14801

Jim

TantalusFld, Jun 20, 2009
  7. tjakazulu

tjakazulu

Thanks Jim! I just ordered and installed a new keyboard and everything works fine again!

tjakazulu, Jun 24, 2009
  8. tjakazulu

khak

My Acer is dead. Can I disassemble my Acer to recovery data form hard drive ? Does it void warranty ? Couse I want to sent it back to Amazon.

khak, Jun 27, 2009
Ask a Question