Keyboard map issue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Zippo, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Zippo

alekssBGD

Does anyone know how to apply the above mentioned for country codes Serbia, Croatia?

I have tried putting SR, HR, CS ... but none worked. SCIM reports "unknown" whichever i enter, and the layout of the keyboards remains as US.

Thanx in advance!

alekssBGD, Aug 2, 2008
  2. Zippo

Macedon

Thanks Starterz for the post about the cyrilic keyboard layout!

Macedon, Aug 2, 2008
  3. Zippo

starterz

NP, if you solve the indicator problem please let me know :) I still can't imagine how it got lost in the first place.

starterz, Aug 3, 2008
  4. Zippo

starterz

Indicator problem SOLVED. Just use the tip on how to edit xfce4-panel in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=736

When you edit the panel, you can add the keyboard layouts indicator. I added it, and when I use alt-shift it switches between "EN" and "MK-flag" (little pic of our flag) - which is totally acceptable.

Stay well all.

starterz, Aug 3, 2008
  5. Zippo

Beldar

No, the right way is to do the following:

1. Press Alt+F2 to get up "Run program".

2. Write setxkbmap se and press enter to get your keyboard set in Swedish, temporary.

3. Press Alt+F2 to get up "Run program".

4. Write terminal and press enter.

5. In the terminal window write: echo "setxkbmap se" >> .bash_profile and press enter.

6. Restart the computer.

7. In the menu bar, in the lower part of the screen, you should now see a icon for Swedish.

Note: setxkbmap se and echo "setxkbmap se" >> .bash_profile is for Swedish only. For other languages change se to your native country.

Beldar, Aug 5, 2008
  6. Zippo

zaphod

Thanks for the tip Beldar. It is certainly a more elegant solution than manually editing config files. I had tried to edit my .bash_profile to add the keyboard command line but not being very good with Linux I must have put it in the wrong place cos it didn't work :oops:

zaphod, Aug 5, 2008
  7. Zippo

Beldar

You're welcome. :)

Beldar, Aug 5, 2008
  8. Zippo

J. Henrique P. Neto

Hi friends,

Soory for my nooob linux question but after read all this topic i was not able to find a solution to my problem.

My keyboard has the US international phisical layout and i need to use the portuguese accents to write.

Now i have two keyboard layouts installed (US inter + Portuguese) but both not working as i need.

I can switch between then (alt+shift) and the botton icon changes properlly.

My problem is that in English layout i cant make accents and in Portuguese layout the keys are mapped as a hardware portuguese keyboard so the keys dont match.

could anyone give me a help with this?

Thanks
    Henrique

J. Henrique P. Neto, Aug 11, 2008
  9. Zippo

Beldar

Do a "Live Update". There's a new update called "Keyboard Layout". It can, after a reboot, be found under "Settings."

Beldar, Aug 11, 2008
  10. Zippo

J. Henrique P. Neto

Yeah, i did the update and used the "keyboard layout" app to have these two layouts installed.

But the accents (ex.: combo of ' + e = é) only works with the portuguese layout that have many keys changed from the US international layout.

{}s and thanks
    Henrique

J. Henrique P. Neto, Aug 11, 2008
  11. Zippo

nicolas

Same problem as user above. I need to be able to write '+e for example.

nicolas, Aug 17, 2008
  12. Zippo

vickoxy

Ok, i have also one problem-in my Keyboard Layout Menu i have 20-30 languages but there isn not a Language that i need (croatian/serbian). So, if that language is not there, how can i Install it? Do i have to download something or activate? If anybody knows how, i would appreciate the answer. And ye, i am totaly novice with linux.

vickoxy, Sep 3, 2008
  13. Zippo

taxus

You may edit /etc/keyboard_layout/keyboard_layout.conf to add your keyboard layout. That's what I did to add a less used keyboard layout for Canada (Canada Multilingual).

First make a backup copy (type ALT-F2 and paste the following command):

Code:
    sudo cp -a /etc/keyboard_layout/keyboard_layout.conf /etc/keyboard_layout/keyboard_layout.conf.backup
    Then edit /etc/keyboard_layout/keyboard_layout.conf (ALT-F2):

Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/keyboard_layout/keyboard_layout.conf
    Now you have to add a line that specifies the keyboard layout for your language and country, and that's the tricky part. You'll see from the other lines that a line begins with a two letter code for language or dialect (e.g. "gb" for "Great Britain", "us" for "United States", "ca" for "Canada", "fr" for "French"), then a space, a colon, another space, the English word for the language, a space, another colon, then a number from 0 to 2. A variant layout may be specified.

In my case, I knew that I wanted the "multix" variant of the Canadian keyboard layout, so I entered:

ca(multix) : Canadien_(Multilingue) : 1

Notice that I used the French language for the name of the keyboard, since the English form doesn't seem to have a translation in the keyboard layout tool and it appeared in English while my UI is in French. It doesn't matter.

The number: 1 means that the layout is enabled, 2 that it's the default layout, 0 that it's disabled.

You have to find out which parameters you need. They're the same that would go in the xorg.conf file (as xkblayout and xkbvariant parameters).

taxus, Sep 4, 2008
  14. Zippo

taxus

I checked the language codes on Wikipedia.

If you want Croatian, then the code is «hr» and the line would be:

Code:
    hr : Croatian : 1
    There are these variants:

us: Croatia - US keyboard with Croatian letters
    alternatequotes: Croatia - Use guillemets for quotes
    unicode: Croatia - Use Croatian digraphs
    unicodeus: Croatia - US keyboard with Croatian digraphs

You would specify a variant like this:

hr(us) : Croatian_(US_keyboard) : 1

Note that when writing the name of the layout, spaces are forbidden, you have to replace them by _.

For Serbian, the code is "sr" but I can't find any keyboard layout for that language, nor could I for Serbo-Croatian or "sh".

I found them with the "cs" language code (Czech???). The header of the file reads:

So I have to assume it's the right one. You can check the different variants in the file itself (identified by a line beginning with "xkb_symbols"):

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/cs

type ALT-F2 and paste the following):

Code:
    mousepad /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/cs
    Don't worry, there is no danger of overwriting the file since the user account doesn't have the privileges to write in that directory (just don't put "sudo" before the line, that gives administrator privileges!)

Well, I suggest you begin with the standard layout, so add the following line to the keyboard_layout.conf file:

Code:
    cs : Serbo_Croatian : 1
    You may add more than one with the same language code:

Code:
    cs : Serbo_Croatian : 1
    cs(latin) : Serbo_Croatian_(latin) : 1
    That way, I think you'd both have cyrillic (first one) and latin (second one) layouts. You may translate "Serbo_Croatian" in your language so it appears so in the menu of the keyboard layout tool, like I did. Just don't use spaces.

taxus, Sep 4, 2008
  15. Zippo

luizfermiranda

I need some help.
    Im trying to configure Brazilian portuguese on my keyboard. Basically is a US International with deadkeys.
    I change directly on the xorg.conf and now looks like this.

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
        Option         "CoreKeyboard"
        Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option         "XkbVariant" "intl"
    EndSection

Its amost right.
    Words like ã, é, õ, etc.. is fine, but when i type ' + c, appears a code that is not suported on this forum, is like "é", but is a C in the place of the E, get it ? but the right is "ç".

Any ideas ?

luizfermiranda, Sep 4, 2008
  16. Zippo

taxus

"Basically a US International layout but with dead keys" doesn't mean it's the same layout. Why don't you try the default Brasilian layout?

xkblayout: br
    xkbvariant: don't specify any (double quotes, "")

taxus, Sep 5, 2008
  17. Zippo

luizfermiranda

My AAO keyboard is English.
    BR layout is a different keyboard.

I need a way to do a bind, or change any of that character "c" wrong to ç.

luizfermiranda, Sep 5, 2008
  18. Zippo

vickoxy

Thanks Taxus-you were right. I did find solution. Well, i activated advanced desktop mode and i went to add/remove Software options. Then i found under the languages a hundred languages (some are installed on AAO) and i selected needed one. After installation i needen to perform operations that Taxus suggested: simply added: hr, croatian/something like that-i just made copy of one language and changed the country codes/ in keyboard layout file.
    So, i presume tha brasilian portugese is also there to find.

vickoxy, Sep 7, 2008
  19. Zippo

niclass

Re: Keyboard frances

Hello I passed your name, that I speak Portuguese so I am translating prlo google. installed TinyXP on acer aspire one. but as I live in Suiçca. the keyboard failed. need the drivers for the keyboard: French (Switzerland) layot Suiç0 (French) know where I can find and how to install .. thank

niclass, Mar 4, 2009
Ask a Question