Keyboard map issue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Zippo, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Zippo

qbic2005

Hi,

Nice work already, pretty good forum :cool:

I choose english at the setup screen but I'm from belgium so I wanted to use nl_be layout (if it exists) but where can I find the installed layouts from which I can choose? And if not installed how can I install extra layouts?
    (they seem not in the same location as on my gentoo)

thanks

qbic2005, Jul 24, 2008
  2. Zippo

matti

Also in the Finnish keyboard version of Aspire One the current (as of 2008-07-24) keyboard layout is not set properly. To fix this:

Alt+F2 (run program) "xterm" and run "setxkbmap fi"

matti, Jul 24, 2008
  3. Zippo

qbic2005

I just added a script in "~/.config/autostart/...." that does a "setxkbmap be" I suppose that will do the job straight forward.
    :twisted:

qbic2005, Jul 25, 2008
  4. Zippo

janss

As it has been said before, the "setxkbmap [lang]" set keyboard map will reset on next reboot, also in finnish keyboards.

The best solution to fix this problem at this point is to do as described on previous page and edit the file "/usr/bin/xkb_plugin_set_xorg.sh" and change the value of "XkbLayout" from "gb,us" to "fi,gb,us". After that, the script will then set the X keyboard map to finnish (and uk & us respectively in order) on every boot-up.

janss, Jul 25, 2008
  5. Zippo

nngomes

GOT IT!!! Working perfectly now!

Another big thank you from Portugal zaphod!

Really great forum!!! Very active and with a lot of knowledge!

nngomes, Jul 25, 2008
  6. Zippo

frasco

thank you guys... :mrgreen:
    by modifying the file /usr/bin/xkb_plugin_set_xorg.sh my system now correctly boot up with an Italian keyboard.
    great

frasco, Jul 25, 2008
  7. Zippo

renns

Thanks for the great help on this forum! I'm in Canada, and prefer US/English keyboard. After Live Update yesterday, the keyboard was set to UK after every boot. A little button on the lower right side of task bar showed UK, and would toggle to EN when clicked, but reverted back to UK after every boot. I followed this step in the prior pages as follows:

Once open, the xkb_plugin_set_xorg.sh file contained a list of entries for a variety of languages, with the last one I assume being the default. This last entry contained "XkbLayout" "gb,us". I changed the last portion to "us,us", and it now boots right into US English mode rather than UK. Thanks again!

renns, Jul 28, 2008
  8. Zippo

artisvita

thanks so much zaphod. worked fine with a de (german) keyboard. problem solved. reinhard

artisvita, Jul 29, 2008
  9. Zippo

Pking79

zaphod your a legend... i was very close to snapping my acer one in half!!!!

Pking79, Jul 30, 2008
  10. Zippo

nullimage

I've installed the latest update for Linpus and started having problems like the ones described here, i managed to set the keyboard to the correct map, but i've lost some keys, namely the accentuation. Also the stupid SCIM window keeps popping up when i press certain keys, like the E, suggesting the € sign...

I've checked the files mentioned here but it all seems correct, the xorg.conf has the correct map, the problem seems to be caused by SCIM...

Any ideas?

nullimage, Jul 30, 2008
  11. Zippo

nullimage

I've managed to fix the problem, i went to the SCIM setup in the control panel and set the Keyboard Layout in the Frontend>Global Setup to Unknown. That removed the annoying popup windows with the suggestions.
    Next i checked the xorg.conf and noticed the line:
    I removed the "," and restarted, now the keyboard is as usual.

nullimage, Jul 30, 2008
  12. Zippo

.mo

Is there a way to turn of SCIM entirely? Cause the fix described above works perfectly (thanks ;-), so there really is no need for the SCIM to run in the background all the time... or is there?

.mo, Jul 30, 2008
  13. Zippo

Gildas

got my AAO on Tuesday, glad I found this form, have now managed to install Skype and T/Bird with desktop shorcuts, all with help from here. Excellent site.

anyway, my keyboard was all to cock when I fired my One up (I am UK based) - no £ sign, @ in wrong place etc. Downloaded my first batch of updates and the problem fixed itself. Downloaded more updates today and back to square one! Grrrrr...anyway, followed advice from this thread, opened the xkb_plugin_set_xorg.sh file and went to the last one which must be the default - changed "XkbLayout" "gb,us" to "gb,gb" and everything is well again (just changing to "gb" didn't work, had to be "gb,gb")

G

Gildas, Jul 30, 2008
  14. Zippo

matthiaskie

Here's something I found in a SUSE forum. I know it's not the proper way, but I haven't tried it out myself yet, because right now that little machine just makes me too furious (with its noisy fan and its annoying problems to do with the latest "update"). Anyway, here we go:

(from http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-m17n ... 00036.html )

I'll let you know once I have inspected the matter myself (maybe later tonight)

matthiaskie, Jul 30, 2008
  15. Zippo

MMD

OMG I killed my aspire because of this

Intially I had this problem and I thought it was a result of a loose keyboard connection (certain keys weren't working and I had just installed new ram). After factory restoring and checking the connections it seemed to work (but I was getting lag in certains keys like p for example would show up way after I would type it). Not knowing it was a result of the updates I installed them again and went back to an unworking keyboard and started back at square one (another facotry restore). Unfortunately this caused my OS to crap out and HAL won't initialize and my audio device isn't detected untill a good 5 mins after start up (if at all). I don't get wireless either anymore and keys are still dead.

The point of this story is this a result of a loose connection (the non working keys like p, ;, m etc) or is this the updates. Can any one please offer some insight into my problems. I'm gonna call acer tech support again tomorrow but they were of little use.

MMD, Jul 31, 2008
  16. Zippo

.mo

Thanks for the tip matthiaskie, but I found a very simple way to turn off SCIM: Open the right-click Menu (in "Advanced Mode"), go to ->Settings->Input Method and disable SCIM. I might also uninstall everything related to SCIM, but I'm not sure that this won't break anything, since the Linpus packaging is already kinda broken...

And MMD, sounds to me like the last factory restore didn't work properly and your OS is broken. I'd format the SSD and try a clean install (or is that what the "factory restore" does?). Or you could make a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu on it and look if everything works then. If it doesn't, it is definitely a Hardware issue.

.mo, Jul 31, 2008
  17. Zippo

MMD

thanks for the info .mo I called acer and she told me to start theOS and hold alt+ f10 and now it is working like it' brand new.... no idea why or how

MMD, Jul 31, 2008
  18. Zippo

MMD

well i'll finally ge to the bottom of it as it was sent to the depot this afternoon. It was working for a bit then died again. I just hope that if they replace the SSD it isn't the slower intel one.

MMD, Aug 1, 2008
  19. Zippo

taxus

Many thanks. I got my One on Wednesday, but I found there was no way to set the keyboard layout to the one I use, or to any layout used in French Canada.

I even found that my locale was wrong, fr_FR instead of fr_CA, with no way to set it in the settings.

I had to modify:

/etc/sysconfig/i18n
    /usr/bin/xkb_plugin_set_xorg.sh

In the first, I set my language to fr_CA.UTF-8, added fr_CA.UTF-8 and fr_CA to supported languages.
    In the second, I copied the fr_FR.UTF-8 bloc, renamed it fr_CA.UTF-8, and set:

XkbLayout: ca, us
    XkbVariant: multix,euro

The multix variant is the Canadian Multilingual layout. In order to set the more used French Canadian layout, the settings would be:

XkbLayout: ca, us
    XkbVariant: ,euro

Thanks guys, you've saved me a lot of time!

taxus, Aug 1, 2008
  20. Zippo

starterz

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum, nice to meet you all. I got my One yesterday, and have been very satisfied with it. I am from Macedonia, so when I use any OS I choose English Language (menus, options, icon text etc) with us/mk keyboard layouts. This is easilly done in Windows/Ubuntu through GUI options, but I am versed in Linux so don't mind using a terminal when needed.

So the problem here is, I wanted to add the "mk" cyrillic keyboard layout. Opened a terminal, and used

setxkbmap -layout 'us,mk' -option grp:switch -option grp:alt_shift_toggle

This worked OK, I could immidiately write in cyrillic, and could switch to us with alt-shift. But the "EN" indicator was switching between "EN" and "UK", which was very strange to me. So after reading the posts, I just edited the last entry in /usr/bin/xkb_plugin_set_xorg.sh to "us,mk". The xorg.conf file is the original, no edits there. It works after reboot, I can write in both layouts and can switch with alt-shift. But the indicator got lost! So I am functional right now, but I could really use some help on how to get the indicator back, and to see "EN" or "MK" when I switch with alt-shift. It is very usefull to me, because I switch layouts very often.

Thanks all, and stay well.

starterz, Aug 2, 2008
Ask a Question